Undecided

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budgie

Hello BMW i3 forum members,
This is my first post (on any forum) and would like your thoughts, I have followed the the forum and have researched EV's for some time and then after having an i3 on loan from a local dealer for four days I'm sold! I am just about to put a deposit on a new 94 Ah bev in black, 428 wheels and an auxiliary heater at around 30k. Also available are some cars less than a year old with very low mileage packed with extras for 10k or less! I tend to keep my cars for a while so should I go new or what seems a bargain nearly new? Your views much appreciated.

I think it depends on your range requirement.

The new version has a 50% increase in battery capacity. Have you found the test car to be more than adequate for your driving range? If you have any doubts, I'd be going for the larger battery. Keep in mind that winter is the time that range is shortest.

If you do buy it brand new in many countries/states there are more incentives on a new EV (such as the $7,500 federal rebate in the U.S.) that should push it to more comparable territory. However it seems at least in the U.S. dealers are selling these used at $25k-$30k, taking the $7,500 rebate into account in the selling price. It all depends on how the prices compare in your territory once EV incentives are factored in.

If you do go the used route, it is my observation from reading others' experiences that models prior to the 2015 model year had significantly more defects.

budgie said:
I am just about to put a deposit on a new 94 Ah bev in black, 428 wheels and an auxiliary heater at around 30k. Also available are some cars less than a year old with very low mileage packed with extras for 10k or less! I tend to keep my cars for a while so should I go new or what seems a bargain nearly new? Your views much appreciated.

What currency is this?

Thank you for your replies, I am in the UK so prices are in sterling and £30k includes the £4500 government contribution. Slightly worrying is that I could buy 2015 car with lots of extras and less than 1000 miles for less than £20000. Am I missing a bargain or if buy the new model am I also looking at £10000k deprecation right away? I could manage with the range on the old model but the extra would be nice.
Not normally this confused!
Thanks again.

budgie said:
Thank you for your replies, I am in the UK so prices are in sterling and £30k includes the £4500 government contribution. Slightly worrying is that I could buy 2015 car with lots of extras and less than 1000 miles for less than £20000. Am I missing a bargain or if buy the new model am I also looking at £10000k deprecation right away? I could manage with the range on the old model but the extra would be nice.
Not normally this confused!
Thanks again.

So far the i3 has been quicker than average in its rate of depreciation, so you will definitely lose more value on the 2016 model over the 2015. What's unproven is whether the improved range will decrease the rate of depreciation for the 2017 model. A two-year model is always going to be the better value as it's gone through a significant portion of its initial depreciation period. Hopefully that clears up some confusion.

Back