Lease Residual Value

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefuturenow

At this point BMW is just throwing every tactic they can to clear out 2015 i3 stock through leases, including an unusually high residual value of 64% on a 30-month lease. Of course this means that i.e. on a base configuration $43,400 sticker price that BMW graciously expects the lease-end value to be about $28k. For the sake of leasing, this is an excellent offer for the consumer during the term of the lease. However, it would make no financial sense to buy the car outright at the end of the lease unless BMW adjusted for the market value. On a 2014 i3 with the typical 10,000 miles per year total on it, KBB values the trade-in value as roughly $21k, representing one year of deprecation on the 2015 i3 lease. It's apparent that market value on the i3 by lease-end in 2.5 years will be well under $20,000. I'm a huge fan of the i division so I'd hope BMW doesn't lose money on the i3 or finds a way to repurpose the lease vehicles (perhaps as rental vehicles), but the i3 is only going to make sense for me at least to consider a purchase on at lease-end if the value aligns with market value rather than the residual which will be well over the going price of the i3 in the market.

Back