Just ordered TWO 94Ah i3's

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadracer1977

Just wanting to share my excitement and thought I'd say hi :D

So here's the story...
My girlfriend has a new job, and is doing quite a lot of miles in her 'thirsty' Cooper S (supercharged) we'd discussed cars and fuel efficient options, and although 'she' didn't like the shape of the i3's - I was convinced this would probably be a great option for her...

So... I guess there were the 'standard' questions... are these i3's any good? how much fun can they be? the general range anxiety issues, charging etc etc And as such, I popped into my local BMW dealership, discussed the issues with one of their 'geniuses' who said they have loan cars which one could borrow for a long weekend to see if it fits in with your lifestyle etc etc...

Borrowed one a couple of weeks ago, and was blown away... Not only due to the build quality, but the tech is awesome, AND I've had some fast cars in my time (and still have), but the instant torque and power of the i3 is such a hoot! Jeeze... I must be getting old!

Anyway, at the end of the weekend we had to drop the car back, and I must admit we were both gutted to see it go (bare in mind this is 'supposedly' only for my girlfriend)...

Over the following few days I had a few chats with the rep there, and agreed that we'd buy one for the girlfriend - so long as we could have another 'loaner' for a weekend to check out the spec, ride quality with the 20" wheels etc etc... She agreed, and when we got this car were again chuffed to bits.

So today we had to drop the (second) loan car back, and I had a chat with the rep there with a view to ordering the car for my girlfriend... Which went well and I placed the order for:-
  • 94Ah Range Extender
  • Fluid Black
  • Suite Leather Interior with dark oak trim
  • Sport Package (LED Headlights, Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, and Sun Protection Glass)
  • 20" Double Spoke Wheels
  • Professional Media (Large Screen, Professional Nav and Media etc)
  • and the 5yr service plan

Half way through the ordering process, I thought - d'ya know what, I REALLY like this car and want one too, so said to the rep today is your lucky day - she was obviously very happy, and I ordered this spec for myself:-
  • 94Ah Range Extender
  • Protonic Blue
  • Suite Leather Interior with dark oak trim
  • Sport Package (LED Headlights, Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, and Sun Protection Glass)
  • 20" Double Spoke Wheels
  • Professional Media (Large Screen, Professional Nav and Media etc)
  • Park Assist
  • and Comfort Access
  • and the 5yr service plan

It certainly was a more expensive Monday than I thought it was going to be! :shock:

We should take delivery of them on 1st September 2016 (for the new 66 registrations in the UK)... And as you may or may not know these are two of the new colours, so I'll be sure to take some nice pics and post them.

Looking forward to joining the club! :geek:

Congrats! Before ordering mine, I also had a loaner for the weekend. What a tease is it to drive one for a few days and then have to return it. I also have a protonic blue 2017 on order, anxiously waiting for September delivery.

Just having a little 'wobble' on the Protonic Blue - what's the consensus on this..?

I've seen lots of pictures on the net but mostly studio photo's so not 'real world' lighting etc...

I'm thinking of going down the H&R lowering spring and wheel spacer route too, to give it a bit of a lower stance - not sure this will work so well on the blue? Or will it?!?

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Congrats and welcome --- the i3 is a great daily driver.

My experience after more than a year.

She's quick off the line and fun to drive and the aggressive brake regen makes the daily driving experience absolutely superior to regular cars.

The Rex is worthless ... never come close to actually needing it. Like most Americans, 95% of my driving is <40 miles/ day ... it is understood that this is a city car. If i want to go far, I take the other car.

Range anxiety ??? non issue.

The car is only charged in the garage ... never around town. A REAL electric vehicle charging infrastructure does not yet exist meaning that the many chargers around town are always in use and never conveniently available.

:|

Roadracer1977 said:
Just having a little 'wobble' on the Protonic Blue - what's the consensus on this..?

I've seen lots of pictures on the net but mostly studio photo's so not 'real world' lighting etc...

I'm thinking of going down the H&R lowering spring and wheel spacer route too, to give it a bit of a lower stance - not sure this will work so well on the blue? Or will it?!?

Any thoughts would be welcome!

I was back and forth a bit with the protonic blue as well. It is tough to tell from photos, and many are older renders before it was official.

I found this official video from BMW the best way to gauge what the colour would look like, you see plenty shots of it in action and driving.

https://youtu.be/_Ii2YPtH_mc

Congrats ! I really wished I could afford two of these... one was enough on our budget :lol:

I'm really curious to see the protonic blue on "real-life" pictures.

As for the shadow black with tinted glasses - I have done a full personal photo-shooting session inside and out last week end - it looks gorgeous. I will post it on my blog real soon. If you want to see a couple of them though from our last trip in the mountain: Here we go (just scroll down a little - the english version of the blog is under translation. I will post later on French and English at the same time on both blogs).

Damn, I envy you ! ;)

I ordered an i3 Protinic Blue at the end of May and have been given an estimated delivery date of 30 Sept.

I get regular calls from my local dealer to see if I want to attend various events, trying to tempt me to change my car. This time I said I was interested in the i3 and they arranged a test drive. I was really surprised at how good it felt.

It is a big change from my Z4 and I will certainly miss it when I see a Z4. When I see a Z4 I think 'damn, that is a good looking car', then remember that that is what I am driving.

Back