Australia: ordered two MY2017 i3 (94Ah)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitramluap

Was initially told they'd be a July production (we ordered in June)... Only to now be told production for Australian vehicles won't start until September. I would have thought production should be the order that orders come in but they must reconfigure the whole factory for RHD production... Kinda sucks. :cry:

Hopefully they'll be here before Christmas!

On a side note, I'm a bit frustrated that we get the Type 1 (SAE) connector in Australia, not the Type 2 (Menneke) connecter as our grid supply (and my solar setup) here is, by default, 3-phase 240V - Type 1 can only use a single phase. Seems like our country can't sort out what the standard should be so we now have mishmash of plug types. Ugh...

Hi Paul,

No matter. If you get a 32A charger, it still charges as fast as the i3 can charge it's battery. 3 phase wouldn't help.

Thanks, but that's not strictly true. The car *is* capable of handling a 3-phase input with AC charging rates of 11kW or more if this new Wallbox from BMW is right (unless it converts 3 to 1?)... But not with a Type 1 inlet! For that, you need to have the Type 2 inlet (which they have in Europe).

Also, the BMW Wallbox that they sell in Australia is only a 16A 3.7kW affair - only twice as good as plugging it into a standard wall socket! Why would BMW Australia even offer it? Any recommendations for a 32A 7.4kW EVSE wall charger here in Australia?

BTW: I've posted a more technical query here: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3989

Has Australia actually settled on an EV charging socket standard yet?

Of course, in the grand scheme of things it's not important. As long as the charger I have plugs into my car and charges it, that's what matters. I'm not going to be driving 1000km to the next city with it. That's what aircraft are for! ;)

We have a 240v 32A Juicebox charger here. Ours is an import from the US, but there is a local dealer here in Australia now. I will find the contact in my notes and let you know.

What state are you in?

Here you go: http://www.egodock.com.au/

Our Juicebox is actually the 40A version, but limited by the i3's max current capability to around 32A.

First I have heard anyone say that the i3 will take more than 32A from the EVSE regardless of connector. As far as I am aware, the current is limited by the onboard charger, not the EVSE even if it is a Menneke. 11A 3-phase would be about the same as single phase 32A. Never heard that the i3 can take 3phase before, be great if we could. You can do more current and faster charging with the DC charging system, but that is not common in Australia and certainly not something people are likely to install in their homes due to cost and voltage/current required.

Great! Thanks for this.

I'll wait and see what inlet shows up on our cars when they arrive and then I'll plan our charging system accordingly. The EV market appears to be rapidly approaching (or passing!?) the point where we need, as a nation, to settle on some charging standard. It still seems like we're all wandering around in the dark!

I'm lucky in that there is a FREE SAE/CCS DC charger 1km from my home. Not sure how long that will last though!

PS: I'm in Qld and I posted a reply to the other thread you replied to.

The charging circuit is IN the car, and is limited to 7.4Kw, regardless of the plug. Both the Euro and J1772 plugs are available with 3-phase power pins, but the receptacle in the car does not have sockets for those pins, and thus, you couldn't plug it in, nor could it use it if it did. The stated recharging time on the new 2017 with the larger battery is listed as longer, implying BMW did not change the charging circuits. The only way to charge the car faster is via CCS, which is an external power supply, rather than simply a line-voltage ACV input.

jadnashuanh said:
The charging circuit is IN the car, and is limited to 7.4Kw, regardless of the plug. Both the Euro and J1772 plugs are available with 3-phase power pins, but the receptacle in the car does not have sockets for those pins, and thus, you couldn't plug it in, nor could it use it if it did. The stated recharging time on the new 2017 with the larger battery is listed as longer, implying BMW did not change the charging circuits. The only way to charge the car faster is via CCS, which is an external power supply, rather than simply a line-voltage ACV input.

See my reply to you in the other thread. I think you're wrong about the 2017 i3's on-board charger, actually. See for yourself.

There may be market differences on capabilities, but in the USA, at least from what has been listed, the i3 retains the same charging circuit. Since it's not available for delivery yet, as they say, specs are subject to change.

Back