DC fast charge

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3283

Good evening all. Wanted to reach out regarding how to figure out if a 2014 has the DC quick charge. I know they are standard now if I'm not mistaken in on the newer models. As I am considering purchasing from a non-BMW dealership

John

Take a look at the charge port on the i3 and if you see a round receptacle on the top and an oblong receptacle below the round one with two prongs you have the DC fast charging on your i3. The DC fast charging plug uses both receptacles while the level 1 and level 2 charging use the top round receptacle. Hope that helps.

Ken

If you can't view the vehicle, but can get the VIN, there's a few websites that let you put the VIN in, and it will list all of the options the car was built with. Don't remember what they are or the code for DC fast charging, but someone will.

So status update, I went ahead and ordered vehicle from Vroom.com, got call on Monday if there was anything else before they shipped. I asked for them to charge before they ship. I get call the next day saying that had to take to BMW because of battery issue. apparently there is an issue with the battery? they mentioned the 12V not sure if that's separate from Battery Cell, but it needs to be replaced. estimated ship time has slid to two weeks...

The i3 contains two different batteries: an AGM 12vdc battery about the size you might find on a large motorcycle, and the high voltage LiOn pack. The 12vdc battery only gets charged when driving or while on the EVSE, so if the car sat for a long time, while the LiOn battery might be fine, the 12vdc battery, like any car battery, could have deep discharged, and eventually died. An AGM style battery is less prone to degradation by deep discharge, but like any lead-acid type, it has its limits. FWIW, many of the BMW's (and other brands) have moved to AGM batteries on some of their models.

Thank you for info. I'll have to reach out and ask why 2 weeks then, I imagine this would be a pretty straight forward operation with a stocked item.

I guess they don't stock the battery-lame. So here is a question regarding battery, does location have any weight on battery life for the large cell (Main), i.e. hotter climates reduce overall resilience of battery. I found another i3 but its in El Paso, TX = hot!!

John

Hi all.

I know I'm very late to party lol. But I've check the the bmwvin decoder and I've got my car up it has vehicle info and vehicle options. Is the option the list what's on the car or what could have gone on it when brought?many thanks

Cec838 said:
Hi all.

I know I'm very late to party lol. But I've check the the bmwvin decoder and I've got my car up it has vehicle info and vehicle options. Is the option the list what's on the car or what could have gone on it when brought?many thanks
Vehicle options is what the car was sold with. For hardware options - they should still be on the car unless someone removed them (like cup holder). Software options might have expired - like Traffic Info in my case just did and had to pay $50 to extend by an year.

Ok thanks very much. I have to pop back down to garage as there seems to be a lot stuff on it what made me think that it was the option when it was brought . if it is the case what in vechile option is what on it I've landed on my feet with the used i3 2015.

Thanks for reply

Back