Help with options

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki3

Hi all

Currently looking at 94ah rex in fluid black with:
Suite interior
Eucalyptus wood
Parking assist ( for the camera and front sensors mainly)
Professional media
Sun protection glass
428 19" wheels
Online entertainment

Enhanced bluetooth - not seen any demos of this. Any good?

Sunroof- saw this on a demo - was dissapointed that inside it is 2 small glass areas, which only half open. Seemed almost worthless although i love sunroofs for the extra light and air when not raining. Anyone got experience of everyday use? Any rattles?

Is sport pack worth it? (428 wheels, sun protection glass, led headlights, harman/kardon) - i want the wheels and sun protn glass, not really bothered about headlights or upgraded sound - is it worth the £700 extra?

What is the edrive sound?

driving assistant plus - one of those gadgets you will use just the once or the opposite?

Apologies for the barrage of questions! Any advice much appreciated.

Sorry, I'm not very good on the BMW i3 options but I bought one, VIN: V277136. The VIN decoders can give a full list of options and might make a good list to compare with the one you are looking at. But of the features:
  • 544 CRUISE CONTROL WITH BRAKING FUNCTION - I use the dynamic cruise control all the time. There are a few cases, first mile in morning, driving into the Sun, and going over some overpasses at night, that will trip it out. But otherwise, completely pleased and the fall back is 'dumb' cruise control. Excellent cruise control, speed set control.
  • 5DP, 5DU, 508 PARK ASSISTANT, ASSISTANCE PACKAGE, DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) - includes automatic, parallel parking assistant, which I'm learning to like. There is a certain amount of learning but I'm becoming much happier with it (i.e., circling the block to find a practice spot.)

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
5DP, 5DU, 508 PARK ASSISTANT, ASSISTANCE PACKAGE, DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) - includes automatic, parallel parking assistant, which I'm learning to like.
We bought an i3 with the Park Assist option, but only for the included rear camera and the front ultrasonic sensors. The rear camera's location allows it to be coated by road grime, snow, etc., so it can need frequent cleaning in some driving conditions. The video image that it produces is very sharp, and the guide lines (enabled in iDrive) can be very helpful when reversing. The front ultrasonic sensors indicate how close the front bumper is to objects ahead which can be difficult to estimate due to the driver's seating position and the slope of the hood.

I tried the automatic, parallel parking assistant once and found it to be too slow to be useful when traffic behind might be waiting for one to park. Also, many i3 owners have reported that parking assistant scraped the curb thus scratching their expensive wheels. So I've tried it only once and don't plan to use it again. Parallel parking the i3 is so easy with its short length and tight turning circle that I don't need the assistance.

enhanced bluetooth enables the function to allow you to play music from your phone via bluetooth. Otherwise you will only get phone calls. However, I believe this is something that can be coded on.

driving assistant plus is active cruise control with traffic jam assist. In the US, it's only an active cruise control, in europe, i believe it also includes light steering on the freeway. I use it daily and love it. It's not the best since it's only camera based, but it's good enough. It also includes AEB.(autonomous emergency braking)

edrive sound is an external speaker that makes noise so pedestrians know you're nearby.

I personally hate halogens so LED headlights for me were a must.

eneka said:
enhanced bluetooth enables the function to allow you to play music from your phone via bluetooth. Otherwise you will only get phone calls. However, I believe this is something that can be coded on.

Pretty sure I can listen to bluetooth audio (though, to be honest, I never do) and I have the base-est of models in the US. I'm positive I can choose it as an 'air play' audio option on my phone.

Schnort said:
eneka said:

Pretty sure I can listen to bluetooth audio (though, to be honest, I never do) and I have the base-est of models in the US. I'm positive I can choose it as an 'air play' audio option on my phone.

Yup, US models have it standard, like with the LED headlights/DRLs.

They could be standard on european models as well, I am not 100%. If it is, then the enhanced would probably mean the ability to connect two phones and the dock within the armrest.

Thanks all

Ive heard the enhanced bluetooth can be used to read/write texts and emails - anyone used that ?

Im warming to the idea of the active cruise comtrol as i do spend time in traffic almost every morning on way to work.

Not sure about the sunroof. With the dark brown suite interior the sunroof may lighten the interior up i thought?

Ki3 said:
Im warming to the idea of the active cruise control as i do spend time in traffic almost every morning on way to work.
Active Cruise Control (ACC) is one of my favorite features. I drive with ACC on almost always. I temporarily turn it off when I will turn at the next intersection, will stop at a traffic signal or stop sign with no vehicle ahead, see slow or stopped traffic ahead and think that I could decelerate more efficiently than ACC, etc. Steering wheel controls control ACC so I can turn it on and off and adjust the speed setting and gap with the vehicle ahead without taking my eyes off the road.

Driving with ACC set at 5 mph over the speed limit in EcoPro in mixed urban and suburban driving with no heating and light cooling can be a very efficient and relaxing way to drive (5.5 mi/kWh in our BEV).

The USA did not offer the sunroof as an option until the 2017 MY, and those are literally just starting to show up at the dealerships, so at least from this side of the pond, nobody has any experience with it. Personally, I don't like the glare (may not be as much of an issue in the UK!), and maybe more important, the loss of headroom having one entails, so avoid them whenever possible. When opened, the increased drag is likely more than what it would take to use the a/c, if that were an issue...same is true with the side windows...only more efficient below about 25mph, otherwise, your range will increase by use of the a/c verses having the windows opened. I look at a sunroof as an expensive option that just offers another point of potential leaks and wind noises.

We have had our i3 for just over 6 months in Canada. I agree with most of the comments already made here. We love the eucalyptus dash, LED headlamps, sensors, cloth and leather interior, turning radius and backup camera. Not a fan of auto parallel parking, navigation, idrive, small fuel tank, lack of control over REx, inability to open frunk with remote, and no towing capacity. I realize that most of these are not options so may not be relevant. However you may be interested in some of the strengths/weaknesses of the vehicle imho.

Back