Replace a 2014 with a 2016?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marceloavg

Hi all,

My first post from the UK. I own a 2014 i3 low mileage ca. 2.5k which has been great, little optionals just reversing camera and comfort entry.

The car has given me some minor issues such as:

- comfort entry stoppoed working and was fixed under warranty
- range has not been reporting correctly on dash
-some weird electric errors such as when I stop charging sometimes after taking for a first drive it says the trunk is open (and before someone asks, i dont keep the lead on the trunk and forget to close it)
- apart from this every time pretty much that someone sits on the back and I open the door and close it shows the signal the door is opened and to get the signal off I have to close it quite hard

Some sensor issues it seems don't know if anyone experienced the same.

Now I did a service this week on the car and raised some of the issues again but was surprised as the dealer offered me a 2016 one with many more optionals (to follow), offered to pay the service of mine and to change from the 2014 to the 2016 a +-£3k difference. The new car has:

- 1.5k miles on the clock around feb reg date
- 19" 428 wheels
- Pan roof
- Media professional
- Sun protection glass
- Internet
- Park assit
- Interior world loft

My thinking is that since my car is having issues they are doing me a good deal to move up to something that wont give me so many issues? Is that a good assumption? I am a goodnclient of theirs

If not, do you think it is a good deal and is it right that my car is showing too many issues?

Would be glad to hear your views - basically swapping a lower spec 11/2014 to a mice apec 02/16

Thanks

A couple of your issues are non-issues, at least to me. The expected range depends on so many variables, it truly is a guess...an educated one, but still a guess. Do you really believe if you had an ICE, that the computer would tell you exactly when the car will reach empty? Change your driving a little, change of terrain, weather, etc., all make a difference.

You don't need to slam the rear doors, but you do need to close them with authority. There's a latch at both the top and the bottom that must both be fully engaged. Keep in mind that the front door relies on the rear one's latches as well.

That seems like a good deal...I don't know what the standard warranty is in the UK, but a 2-year newer vehicle means more time before you might have to pay to fix something. From a software point of view, the older one can gain the advantages of most all of the interim software updates, so from a functionality viewpoint, there's no big advantage. Bumping to a 2017 would mean a possibly much larger battery pack, but, if you don't need it, it's somewhat overkill, and that big of a jump probably isn't in the offering.

Thanks for your reply. Standard warranty is 3 years so would get a good extra 15 months on warranty for that price as well as the extra optionals...

Unfortunately it will probably be another year or two to gear a deal on the 2017....

Hello, I was interested to read your post.
Make sure the 2016 you're offered has the new 94Ah battery!
I have a new (Aug 2016) REx, with literally all the add-ons (except music subscr.) - the internet is no longer available. I'm afraid I cannot reassure you that at least some of the problems you have been having will not be present on a newer car - if my experience is anything to go by.
I have found the warnings for "Open" have come on at various times for both rear doors, the fifth door and the bonnet. They have come on starting in the morning sometimes, I put it down to rain overnight. Anyway stopping and re-shutting the offending opening with considerable force seems to cure it, for that journey at least. It hasn't happened often but it damned annoying!
I'm not sure what you mean about range not being reported correctly on the dash. It certainly is a bit weirdly variable, (compared to my previous plug-in hybrid), but i have have put it down to the range estimating calculator being "too-clever-by-half". It can vary up and down by a few miles as it is driven, which I have put down to my driving style, battery temperature changes, gradient, etc? (I don't use Eco or Eco-pro modes.)
I have found the extras to be fun - though Ihaven't used the Parking Assist yet (to be honest I'm a bit scared to!). The adaptive cruise is brilliant, but I'm not so sure about the lane assist. The collision prevent has never come into action.
I have the sun roof (if that's what you mean by Pan Roof) but it is very disappointing! It quite well designed, implemented, but the opening(s) are just so tiny.
The sun protection glass may be doing something (reducing the heat in the summer?), but It looks a bit chavvy to me from the outside.
I'm not so sure about the illumination of all-and-sundry (door handles and pockets and foot-well) when you unlock in the dark. I will see if there's an setting to disable that. As it is, it reminds me of a "strech limo" mentality. (Not that I would know (!), but it is reminiscent of the proverbial "whore's boudoir".)
However, I just love the car!
(With the doors, clearly I have to be more authoritative (love that turn of phrase).)

terminus said:
Make sure the 2016 you're offered has the new 94Ah battery!
Unfortunately, the 02/16 model he's considering would not have the 94 aH battery pack option which first became available 5 months later.

marceloavg said:
Yeah unfortunately thats right...what is your view then?
Seems like a good deal to me. Just lengthening your warranty period could have considerable value. The new cost of the additional options might be more than the ~£3K update cost. If paying the update cost isn't troublesome for you, it doesn't seem like you have much downside.

Back