Do all i3's have 7kw fast AC Charging?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millec199

I'm looking for a used i3 Rex (in the U.K.) and have seen some cars list 'AC Fast Charge preparation' as an option. I sssume this refers to 7kw type 2 charging?

Does this mean not all i3's have ac fast charge?

I know DC fast charge was optional on the pre 2017 cars but can't find anything on the various types of ac charge.

Thanks

It's a market by market decision what is standard in the car. BMW-UK may have made the fast charge standard, but I don't think that it was the first year or so of availability there. In the USA, it was standard from the first car, but CCS (DC) charging was not until a subsequent MY.

If you know the VIN, you can see what options are in the car by looking it up on one of several websites.

What is even more confusing is the UK's descriptive terms for charging speeds.

Fast charging is 7Kw-22Kw, to differentiate it from the original charge speeds of 3Kw. For charging at any rate above these already mentioned, whether AC or DC, it is referred to as RAPID charging - which is why confusion with users is legion with BMW describing 'Fast Charge' preparation!

Back