Buying a used non CPO BMW I3 REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agosto

Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker and finally decided to post. I am currently looking to purchase either a 2014 or 2015 CPO I3 REX, however, I came across a 2015 I3 REX that's fully loaded for $23k. The only way I could justify this purchase is knowing that the original warranty will expire in 2019. What are your thoughts ? Bad deal ? Keep looking at CPOs? Thanks for your time.

The i3 failures are rare, but expensive. it is not DIY/ independent shop friendly. I would buy a used i3 and establish an emergency fund ($5k maybe?) just for the peace of mind. I've never own another BMW car before, but I have their motorcycles. People often complain- this part is $3k, and other is $2k, but in reality I spent less than $100 on the OEM parts.

Thanks for the advice! I will make sure to keep a emergency fund set aside. $5k sounds good.

Personally I would just go with a CPO. It is very rare, but if you are unlucky with your i3 drivetrain, you could be looking at a $10,000 repair bill out of warranty. CPO is easily available.

Hi, I just bought a heard 2015 Rex. It was not CPO being Carvana, but with only 10k miles, it looked ok. My needs were just a back up camera and nice wheela.

I am assuming that the 4 year 50k miles BMW warranty is still going to cover me for the next couple years.

The only issue I have so far, the back up camera. It is not designed well to be right on the center bumper face. It was raining when i took purchase and so did not think the lens was scratched. Well, it is, right in the center. Still functional, but irratating to see the scuff in the image.

All else is operating as expected, even better actually.

If you have suggestions about the camera or the car, would be much appreciated.

Go back to the seller and ask what they can do?

Go to a BMW Service Center and ask what they can do?

Investigate window/glass repair services and see what they can do?

Contact an eyeglass store, one with a built-in lab, and ask what they can do?

Investigate Edmunds Scientific and ask if they have an optical polishing system that might help?

Perhaps you might post a photos showing the defect from inside the screen and a close-up of the lense.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Back