Can a Nissan dealer service an i3? (no BMW EV service shops on my island)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

island

I'm looking to buy an i3 and ship it to Guam where I live (it's a US Territory in the pacific).

We have great service shops for internal combustion vehicles, but no local dealership with experience on BMW electric cars. There is, however, a local Nissan dealer with experience selling/servicing the Nissan Leaf.

Am I a fool for considering importing an i3?

In other words, can a Nissan dealer service my i3?

Thanks!

Unless they invest in some diagnostic equipment, they will not be able to read the BMW specific diagnostic codes, nor will they have ready access to the factory repair procedures or a ready source of parts. Now, the car often doesn't need much, but they would not be able to do a software update, and those do come about on occasion. IMHO, it's probably not a good idea. They should be able to do things like service the brakes, change the tires, etc, but would be unable to diagnose or repair BMW specific issues.

island said:
Am I a fool for considering importing an i3?
I did something similar in 2009 when I imported our 2000 Honda Insight hybrid into Sweden where it had never been sold. The local Honda dealer had sold Civic Hybrids with a similar hybrid system and could get Insight parts from Belgium, so I felt that I was not totally on my own should problems occur. I also had the mechanical and electrical service manuals for our Insight. Eight years later, I've never had to visit the Honda dealer and have not needed to order parts, so a reliable car can work well in places where it was never sold.

You're not a fool for considering importing an i3, but you would probably eventually feel like a fool for having actually done. The i3 has not been a particularly reliable vehicle, certainly less reliable that our Honda Insight. i3 mechanical and electrical service manuals are not available. Our 2014 i3 BEV has had to have an expensive electronic module involved in charging and a motor mount bolt replaced under warranty as well as associated software updates that only a dealer can apply. If there is no BMW dealer in Guam, ordering BMW parts might be very difficult or impossible. You could end up with a car that you'd have to ship to Honolulu for repairs, although almost any mechanic should be able to perform the minimal periodic maintenance.

If you don't like the Leaf and Guam has a Chevrolet dealer, importing a Bolt might be safer, although you certainly wouldn't need the Bolt's 238 mile range.

spinball said:
Do not import an i3 without BMW dealer support. You've been warned! ;)

The mechanical parts of the i3 (suspension, brakes, etc) can be serviced at most mechanics. The electronics are a different story. You "should" be fine as the i3 without the range extender as there is not much to go wrong. The big BUT here is if something goes wrong, you are dead in the water. This would be a huge gamble.

My car was at a dealer twice, both times the service included extensive work with BMW's ISTA diagnostic/ programming system. There is not a chance that a Nissan dealer would have it. Are there any BMW dealers on Guam? The diagnostic routines on i3 are not much different from other BMWs, and a tech can always get on a phone with the support.

THANK YOU everyone for the thoughtful replies. I really appreciate your insights and advice.

Yes, there is a BMW dealer on Guam, but they're almost willfully ignorant of the i3 (I've spoken with a few people there, and they're adamant that they can't handle the i3). Even if the folks I spoke with are wrong, it's probably not a good idea to rely on them.

So it sounds like it may work, but I'd basically be gambling that there will be no big problems in the future. Given that it's impossible to ensure something like that with 100% certainty, no matter how well-built the car, I should probably not risk it.

Bummer. I really love the look and strengths of the i3. But I'll definitely check it (or its successor) out whenever I move back to the states.

Thank you everyone! Really smart and supportive forum you have here. :)

Back