navigation system options

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisC

When ordering the i3, there is an option for a "navigation system". In the U.S. this is bundled with the $2500 "Technology + Driving Assistant Package".

I believe that this option is actually an UPGRADE from the basic nav system that is otherwise included in the car at all trim levels. If you get the option, you get an upgraded navigation system. The standard features list includes a "Navigation Business" feature. So, in other words, the i3 already comes with a navigation, and the above option is an upgrade. Again, I believe this is the case and am looking here for confirmation of that.

I'm new to BMW. I did some googling and apparently they offer "business" and "professional" navigation options in their other cars. The basic i3 nav is apparently like the business option, and the i3 upgrade is like the professional option.

Below is a good description that I found of the differences between "business" and "professional" nav in other BMW cars.

I DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH OF THE QUOTE BELOW APPLIES TO THE NEW i3. Anybody know? For one, I don't think the optical disc drive (CD/DVD) is on any i3.

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showpost.php?s=57f96ced2d52024e1e28835d0d56b831&p=556839&postcount=4

Business navigation systems on the E6x/e9x...(Called CCC)

- 2D navigation only (arrows) with dark background. No map view.
- MP3 capable
- 1 DVD drive (navigation disk data or audio cd or mp3 cd)
- Not possible to play movies from the DVD drive.
- Screen size: 6.6"
- Screen resolution 640x240

Professional navigation systems on the E6x/e9x...(Called CCC)

- 2D/3D view. Full map view.
- MP3 capable.
- 1 DVD drive for navigation.
- 1 CD drive for audio or MP3 cd.
- Not possible to play movies from the DVD drive.
- Screen size: 8.8"
- Screen resolution 640x240

Professional and Business navigation systems on the F series or late e6x, e8x (2009+ models) (Called CIC)

- Same general differences in terms of navigation than the previous systems (CCC). You do see the actual map on the Business version.
- Much nicer interface.
- USB port standard in the glove box for updating the maps (On earlier CIC software level, maps are uploaded through the DVD drive).
- Internal 80GB hard drive to store maps, some operating system files, a dedicated partition for storing music (12GB depending on the software level, came in as 8GB initially).
- 1 DVD drive (Music, Movies etc)
- More optional components (Internet browsing etc)
- Screen resolution 1280x480
- Professional unit screen size is about 9.9" if I remember correctly?
- Business units are smaller too, about 6-7"

Though the availability as a package or otherwise depends on each market, I suppose that the actual Nav systems are the same everywhere.

This is the description taken from the i3 Belgian price list (French version) :

Business Navigation System (available as from march 2014)(*) (606)
iDrive controller with direct selection keys, 8 customizable rapid selection keys, 6,5" (800x480) color screen, navigation by arrows or map views (north, forward and perspective views), USB port for navigation data updates, optional voice command function for navigation when combined with 249 (multifunction steering wheel) and 6NS (enhanced Bluetooth preparation) - dynamic route planning possible, takes into account current traffic information - with on-board computer and additional functions, integrated user guide, electronic service logbook - please note that navigation data are uploaded at production site (flash memory).

Professional Navigation System (609)
In addition to Business Navigation System : 3D and satellite view, 10,2" color screen (1280x480), navigation data on hard drive, USB port to upload media data to hard drive (20 Gb), Splitscreen function, iDrive Touch Controller (handwriting recognition).

No CD/DVD mentioned anywhere. Own music can be stored on the 20Gb HD through USB port. No mention of compatible music file formats.

(*) Early car production did not include Business Nav. Only Professional. Early buyers were offered Pro Nav for free since they had no choice :D .

Hope this is useful, Chris
Cheers

Here are a couple of pics (via m11wlk) showing the Business Navigation System

Smaller Screen : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pxpun02h868t453/RwUJ91OC5L/Std%20interior%204%20business%20nav.JPG

Simpler iDrive Controller : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pxpun02h868t453/7dB1P3Ls1N/Std%20interior%205%20business%20nav.JPG

Chris,
I have compiled the full list of standard and optional features with extended definitions from various BMW sources including the BMW Technology Index that I can send to you if you are interested.

Darren

agj said:
Professional Navigation System (609)
In addition to Business Navigation System :
- 3D and satellite view
- 10,2" color screen (1280x480)
- navigation data on hard drive
- USB port to upload media data to hard drive (20 Gb)
- Splitscreen function
- iDrive Touch Controller (handwriting recognition).
Ooooo, the handwriting recognition is only in the Pro upgrade. Still, not worth the money for me. Oh well. Thanks!

Yiiikes said:
I have compiled the full list of standard and optional features with extended definitions from various BMW sources including the BMW Technology Index that I can send to you if you are interested.
That's great. Can you post it here?

Thanks guys!

It looks like the 10.25 inch screen is now standard in all MY2018 i3?

https://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/666.jpg

IMHO the big screen should have always been standard for the price, but I guess it's even more true now considering the competition.

Back