Buying a '14 Rex / Certified EVSE installer Needed?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCal

Picking up a 2014 Rex tomorrow in Fremont, CA... there is some irony.

Giga, Tech/Assist, Parking, 29k, $17,999

Spoke with an electrician today about wiring a JuiceBox 40 and he cautioned that not using a "certified" installer could interfere with warranty for car. Anybody have clarity on this? It was in context of his compliant about a unnamed charging network or car company wanting him to rent an Ohm meter as part of "certification".

Which EVSE, which installer, where you charge, at what power you charge, etc., has no bearing on an i3's warranty. There is nothing magic about installing an EVSE that requires a "certified EVSE installer." This sounds like a way for an electrician to charge more to install an EVSE compared with installing any other comparable electrical circuit.

Some EV owners have reported asking for bids for the installation of a a NEMA 14-50R (receptacle) in their garage with a 50 A 240 V circuit breaker and wiring rated for 50 A without mentioning an EVSE because they felt that electricians might charge more to install an EVSE. If a 50 A 240 V circuit cannot be added to your electrical panel, add a circuit with the highest current rating possible.

After the circuit is installed, you could merely plug your JuiceBox into the new receptacle. Drilling a couple of holes to mount the JuiceBox holder and maybe something around which you could wrap the charging cable when not in use would complete the installation.

Thanks Art.

I'll report the install cost when done. My sense is he was advising me based on four year old experience he had with a network trying to build out a network of installers, rather than setting up the big ticket.

But I had seen no entry on topic yet.

I am also in the Bay Area and getting quotes from electricians has prices all over the place. Our first bid was $2,500. The second bid was $500.

Considering time, materials and permits $500 is probably low, unless the work is very easy. I installed a 14-50 outlet myself and paid $200 for an electrician to inspect my handiwork, pull a permit and get an inspector to the house. I did it in hopes of getting my state EVSE tax credit (turned out, the funds ran out). The local dealer never asked about my EVSE, the FUD of the voided warranty is a bull. Actually, the dealer once found an old extension cord in the trunk that I was taking to recycling. They had a talk with me about it, but never mentioned voiding the warranty.

Electrician put a 50A line in(who knows what the future will bring)right behind the breaker panel on the inside of garage. $400 and he cleaned up the area! Had quotes as high as $700. If we move I'll take my EVSE with me and the next guy with an EV is ready to go. A good investment.

Any licensed electrician should be able to install a charger. There's nothing too unique about the install; really no different from running a line for a hot tub or super high-end power tool.

I'll be getting a ChargePoint Home 32A hardwire installed next week. It'll be installed adjacent to the outdoor meter/breaker panel. My quote was 1 hour labor and $20 for the breaker switch and wire to the charger. Can't beat that.

Back