should I wait

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cituk

HI all

New to this forum. My Range Rover Evoque is coming up for renewal in April next year, however I can change it anytime from now. I am thinking of buying an I3 REX but am reading that a newer version is coming out next year, so my question is should i wait (esp if the newer version has a longer range) or go ahead and buy now (bearing in mind there is a 3 month build time).

Thanks!

The 2018 i3 will be a face-lifted version very likely without increased range. The 2019 i3 will likely have increased range (~28%?) but likely won't be available before late 2018. So your timing isn't ideal :)

The 2018 BMW i3 will be unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September - which is not far away, so you should at least wait until next month. Production is set to begin in November with delivery to dealers staring hopefully early in 2018.

I struggled with the same question about waiting, but decided to order a 2017 i3 Rex in May. I took deliver in late July - barely 2 weeks ago. It is a wonderful car, and very nimble in city driving. The main reason I did not wait until next year is that the 2017 has decent enough range, and there is currently a very good government rebate in Ontario of $13,000 on the car and $1,000 on the level 2 charging station. As this incentive has made EV purchasing in Ontario very popular, its success may lead to its demise as it will have served its purpose of increasing EV sales.

Given the rapid pace of development of EV and battery technology as well as the pressure that the Tesla 3 will put on the competition, anything you buy today will look obsolete in 1 or 2 years anyways. If it meets your needs today, it will meet your needs in 3 or 4 years when the next model will surely look a lot more interesting than either the 2017 or 2018.

Each new model year will bring incremental change until there is a more major revision.

To look t it another way, consider the iPhone. I have an iPhone 6 and my partner has an an iPhone 5s, and they still more than meet our needs. I felt no need to get a 6s or a 7, and soon there will be a 7s along with an 8. If the 8 is a more major revision, then just maybe I will consider it.

Incremental changes are a key part of marketing strategies.

Thanks all for the reply. I guess I will wait and see what the new 2018 model changes are. I was a little underwhelmed with the dash board/internal equip on the i3 (but loved the drive and idea of electric) so hopefully the 2018 announcement will enable the i3 to catch up with other BMWs.

Back