Understanding CPO warranty? -- It makes more sense to buy used than new?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVBob

Greetings All,

Reviewing the CPO warranty for the i3 - it looks like it adds 2 years to the original warranty + 50,000 miles ontop of the original 50K miles warranty. So this would mean a CPO i3 - would have a 6 year, 100,000 mile warranty (from date originally sold)?

Hypothetically speaking, warranty wise - a CPO 2017 i3 would make a lot more sense than buying a brand new 2017 i3? 6 year 100K miles vs 4 years 50K miles - though really a year is almost over...so 5 years, 100K miles is still better than 4 years, 50K miles...

Warranty starts when the car is listed as sold. Dealers call this punching a car. Most times it's actually sold to a customer but sometimes a dealer will punch a car to take advantage of rebates/kick backs/trunk money from the manufacturer. Of course they should disclose this before you buy the car.

A dealer can only CPO a used car. The CPO warranty can't be applied to a new car. It'd be unusual to find a used 2017 i3 but I suppose it's possible. And CPO warranties aren't free....the dealer and hence the final customer pay extra for it.

Wow. I'm surprised there're so many. It'd be interesting to know the history of the car. They might be lemon law buy backs, especially in CA. But then again I don't think a dealer would certify a lemon law car, so I can't explain it.

theothertom said:
Wow. I'm surprised there're so many. It'd be interesting to know the history of the car. They might be lemon law buy backs, especially in CA. But then again I don't think a dealer would certify a lemon law car, so I can't explain it.

The ones with Carfax Reports, dont show up as lemon buy backs...

Perhaps the reason why their are many 2017s, 2016s and a whole of 2015s with very low mileage ... folks get them, try to enjoy them, then for whatever reason decide its not for them, then dump them in favor of the "conveniences" of an ICE. -- couldn't get an EVSE installed in their home parking space, can't remember to charge their EV, Lv2 & 3 public charging isn't working out for them, too complicated to remember to turn on the REx for longer trips, etc...

My first BEV was a California Buy Back.
2016 Ford Focus Electric.

The car was pretty much perfect.
Put six thousand miles on it.
Then sold it for pretty much what I paid for it.
Ford sold it to me for $15,000.00, half price of a new car.

Then, I leased a 2017 i3 with REX.

You can get burned.
In my case, it worked out well.

Ford was up front about the Buy Back
They stood behind the new car warranty or at least the remainder if it.
They paid for all improvements.
Software, cell phone modems, etc.
They were very helpful.
* The original modem was for an analog system, replaced it
with a digital one. Took at least five minutes to switch it out.

There was nothing wrong with the car.
I am guessing, that the owner found out that the 2017 Ford Focus Electric had more range.
Then, they hated the 2016 car.
They wanted the new one.

Milam said:
My first BEV was a California Buy Back.
2016 Ford Focus Electric.

The car was pretty much perfect.

There was nothing wrong with the car.
I am guessing, that the owner found out that the 2017 Ford Focus Electric had more range.
Then, they hated the 2016 car.
They wanted the new one.
That's my guess as well for most of the CA buybacks. Was the title is stamped as a buy back, or lemon law, or something like that? If so, did you have problems selling it ?

Yes, these could be buy-backs. It's probably more likely they're what dealers refer to as program or executive cars. BMW NA and individual dealers will put vehicles into service for programs such as the 3-day test drive, event sponsorship, service loaners, visiting executive use, etc. The cars are usually rotated after about six months then sold, commonly with CPO. It’s not unique to the i3. In early 2011, a friend bought a CPO 2010 3-series program car that was fully loaded for about half the original sticker price.

2014 BmwI3 fromNJ dealer own only 2yrs old 5000miles they give me 1 yr only additional warranty paid 18K with taxes and registration I put by now additional 5K miles I think was good deal not 44K for new using car in NY love a ride for free I own Solar for my house never pay for gas anymore .Retaired old dud driving for fan the best car ever. My Porsche rusting in garage

Back