2014 Buying Advice

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rah2018

Hi all. We live in an urban area and currently share a Volt, but I've been thinking to take advantage of low off-lease prices to pick up a BEV as a second run-about car. I don't really have any issues with range, as I'll never drive more than 50 miles in a day (and if I do, I'll take the Volt). I had been looking at 2013-2015 Leaf's and SparkEVs in the $9-$10k price range, but there are actually none for sale within driving range here. I had been planning to buy and have shipped, but then I found this 2014 i3 (BEV) for sale locally at $14,800 with 23k miles:

http://www.paradiseinventory.com/2014_BMW_i3_Lexington_KY_4404189.veh

Seems like it might be a good upgrade for not that much more money. I drove it yesterday and it's in really clean condition. I didn't really see any scratches or dings, and the interior almost feels brand new. It was great to drive, and I liked the looks better than either of the other cars (Leaf or Spark). It has the 110v charger and the tire repair kit/tow ring.

I think it's a pure base model with no options/upgrades, but I'm pretty sure I'm fine with that for what I'll be using it for, and in any case, base is still pretty nice. I'm really only interested in the BEV model as I don't need REX. It does not have DC Fast Charge, which is slightly disappointing, but there is only one CCS charger so far in all of KY anyway, so I'm pretty unlikely to use it.

A few questions:

* Any particular things I should check for on this specific car related to this year/model?

* It was fully charged and the range meter started at 54 miles. Even after driving for a few minutes it went up to 57, so I'm guessing it was last driven by a serious lead-foot...but have there been any cases of substantial range loss that I should be concerned about buying this one?

* The tires looked not great, and reading here it seems like tires can be an issue?

* I don't love this wheel style, I assume there would be no problem swapping these wheels for a set from one of the other i3 models?

* I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40 (30/32A) installed at home. Any issues charging the i3 with this?

* The car has about 23,000 miles but is a 2014 (titled 10/15/2014)...what warranties would still apply? Is there a three-year limit such that I should immediately buy it and take to the dealer before the 15th?

* It has been sitting on this dealer's lot for more than a year (according to CarFax), any issues there?

* Should I try to get it to a BMW dealer for some kind of inspection? I'm not too crazy about doing this unless you think there is something serious that could be a problem that I need to have it checked for. The car rolled off a lease, so I'm guessing the dealer would have taken care of updates/recalls or anything that needed fixing under warranty at the point they took the car back.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've never owned a BMW, and honestly I've never bought a used car before, so any advice welcome!

rah2018 said:
* It was fully charged and the range meter started at 54 miles. Even after driving for a few minutes it went up to 57, so I'm guessing it was last driven by a serious lead-foot...but have there been any cases of substantial range loss that I should be concerned about buying this one?
Range loss has not been a problem. Unlike the Leaf, the i3's battery pack has active temperature control which minimizes battery degradation in hot weather.

rah2018 said:
* I don't love this wheel style, I assume there would be no problem swapping these wheels for a set from one of the other i3 models?
All wheels are interchangeable. However, the base model BEV is the only i3 with the same size 19" wheels and tires on front and rear. So if you got 4 of one of the 2 other 19" wheel versions, your current rear tires would be too narrow.

An i3 owner with the same base wheels made them look pretty good by painting the flat front surfaces black while leaving the sides of the spokes unpainted. This makes the wheels look like they have thin metallic spokes which I think is a big improvement.

rah2018 said:
* I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40 (30/32A) installed at home. Any issues charging the i3 with this?
Nope. This will charge an i3 at the maximum possible charge rate.

rah2018 said:
* The car has about 23,000 miles but is a 2014 (titled 10/15/2014)...what warranties would still apply? Is there a three-year limit such that I should immediately buy it and take to the dealer before the 15th?
This i3 has a transferrable 4-year/50k mile general warranty with a 8-year/100k mile transferrable battery pack warranty that includes protection against capacity degradation of more than 30%.

rah2018 said:
* It has been sitting on this dealer's lot for more than a year (according to CarFax), any issues there?
Just like any car, if the 12 V battery was not periodically charged, it could be degraded, so I would want it stress tested.

Hopefully, the Li-ion battery pack was not allowed to sit at a very low (<10%) charge level or fully-charged, both which could decrease its life expectancy.

rah2018 said:
* Should I try to get it to a BMW dealer for some kind of inspection? I'm not too crazy about doing this unless you think there is something serious that could be a problem that I need to have it checked for. The car rolled off a lease, so I'm guessing the dealer would have taken care of updates/recalls or anything that needed fixing under warranty at the point they took the car back.
With the car still under warranty until October, 2018, I wouldn't bother having a BMW dealer check it out prior to purchase. You could always take it to a BMW dealer after purchase to find out whether any recalls or software updates are needed.

rah2018 said:
Hi all. We live in an urban area and currently share a Volt, but I've been thinking to take advantage of low off-lease prices to pick up a BEV as a second run-about car. I don't really have any issues with range, as I'll never drive more than 50 miles in a day (and if I do, I'll take the Volt). I had been looking at 2013-2015 Leaf's and SparkEVs in the $9-$10k price range, but there are actually none for sale within driving range here. I had been planning to buy and have shipped, but then I found this 2014 i3 (BEV) for sale locally at $14,800 with 23k miles:
paid $14980 cpo at bmw with 26K last weekind

http://www.paradiseinventory.com/2014_BMW_i3_Lexington_KY_4404189.veh

Seems like it might be a good upgrade for not that much more money. I drove it yesterday and it's in really clean condition. I didn't really see any scratches or dings, and the interior almost feels brand new. It was great to drive, and I liked the looks better than either of the other cars (Leaf or Spark). It has the 110v charger and the tire repair kit/tow ring.

I think it's a pure base model with no options/upgrades, but I'm pretty sure I'm fine with that for what I'll be using it for, and in any case, base is still pretty nice. I'm really only interested in the BEV model as I don't need REX. It does not have DC Fast Charge, which is slightly disappointing, but there is only one CCS charger so far in all of KY anyway, so I'm pretty unlikely to use it.
since i dont drive long distance i only use 115v level 1 in the garage

A few questions:

* Any particular things I should check for on this specific car related to this year/model?

mine showed 86 miles ecopro+ mode fully charged and actually traveled 96 miles on one charge yesterday

* The tires looked not great, and reading here it seems like tires can be an issue?
mine had new tires

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've never owned a BMW, and honestly I've never bought a used car before, so any advice welcome!

i got a certified pre owned cpo car for the same price with slightly higher miles in like new condition with 2 years warranty.
the bmw dealers are full of lease return deals now ... i think you could do better.

color also matters ... they had a better deal/ higher optioned/ lower mile/ cheaper car on the lot for a while but i was that hideous grey color that nobody wants ... i think its still siting there :lol:

Back