I want the REX...do I need it?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElVerde

I had a kid, sold my 911, and am trying to figure out what to buy. I don't want to spend a ton of money on some luxo-thing, but I like driving something somewhat unique. I would have kept the 911 if it weren't for wanting to hang out w/ my 7 month old, and it's hard to be satisfied with any other sports car after owning a 911...especially one w/ 4 doors.

I drive about 9 miles a day to and from work. My wife has a 2014 328xi wagon that we can use for longer trips. Obviously I don't need the REX, but I think I like the flexibility of having it if needed, if I take a work-role that requires more driving, etc.

Is there any appreciable maintenance cost difference/reliability concerns of REX vs non-REX?

Also, will a german shepherd fit in the back?

I'm thinking I will likely buy a used i3 rather than lease a new one...seems like a better value prop. Anything to be scared of buying one CPO?

Oh and also...any concerns with just plugging it into the wall at home? I drive so little I figure it will be fine; I don't want to install a charger because I rent and could move anytime.

I have a 2017 REX with the large battery.

I have never needed my REX.
I always have enough battery for my uses.
I have had two problems with my REX, both minor.

If I had to do it over again, I would not get the REX.

Tried FAST DC Charging last night the first time.
Pretty slick, worked great. Added 20% in the time it took to use the restroom and get a drink.

Level 2 chargers work great.

But many times, I just use a Level 1 charger and it works great.

The car definitely works great.

I almost never drive my Touareg Diesel anymore.

Tom Milam

Thank you for the quick reply!

So...no long term issues or extra battery degradation from plugging it into the wall?

ElVerde said:
Thank you for the quick reply!

So...no long term issues or extra battery degradation from plugging it into the wall?

It's possible, but unproven, that the EVSE that comes with the car in the USA (level 1, 120vac device) maybe easier on the batteries. But, nobody has reported problems with theirs using higher capacity units, and some have quite high mileages on them. IOW, not a big deal.

Consider, though, that if you did discharge the battery fully, and wanted to use your device that comes with the car, it could take more than a day to refill it. Also, if it gets cold, and you want to maximize your range (shouldn't be an issue with your stated commute), the level 1 device, even when you started with a full battery, if you tell it to set a departure time and precondition the cabin, could lose some charge...the thing isn't big enough to cover prewarming the batteries and preconditioning the cabin. I've seen mine pull 20A during this process, which is nearly twice what the level 1 device can provide. But, at your daily average use, it would easily recharge overnight with lots of time to spare.

FWIW, you'll use a slight bit more electricity to recharge the car using a 120vac device...the car needs to make about 380vdc to charge its batteries...starting with a lower voltage input is less efficient by maybe 5-10% than starting with 240vac. There are a bunch of level 2 EVSEs out there that can be purchased with a plug on them, but you'd still need to wire up a socket. If you did sell the house, having that socket might actually be a selling point as EVs become more and more prevalent. Depending on how far the wiring had to be run, it may not be a very big investment, and portable EVSEs come in all sorts of flavors and sizes, some of them are 120/240 capable. A 240vac device pulling the same amps is twice as fast as one on 120 (P=V*A power=volts*amps).

While maintenance is covered by the warranty in the beginning, consider that having the REx includes all of the issues with any ICE:
- muffler
- gas tank
- spark plugs
- oil changes
- filter changes (all have a cabin filter, but the engine needs air and oil filters, too)
- heavier and therefore slightly less efficient because of the extra weight
- more complex

Since the REx may not come on that often or run all that long depending on needs, the muffler might not last as long as on an ICE where things always got warm enough to purge it of moisture and condensation...just a general concern, not evidenced (yet) on the i3 REx.

After thinking it over.

I would recommend that you get an used i3 without the REX.
The REX units are easy to use and live with. Would depend
upon the price. I have never needed mine. It is nice
knowing that it is available if needed.

If you do get one, code your i3. So that you can use it at 75%.
It would make me nervous to wait until it was at 8% level.

You can always rent a car for family trips.

A German Shepard will fit in the back seat comfortably.

I sold a Cirrus SR22 TN and leased an i3.

Can you buy one with the BMW CPO?

I am about to buy an used BMW X5 with the CPO.
This will be our fourth BMW. Would rather pay
for repairs up front, than later. I will sleep better
at night.

Tom

Good luck.
Let us know what you do and how it works out.

the rex was worthless during the 2 years i leased it

just bought a cpo bev a few weeks ago for a stupid cheap price ... very happy with it so far

i only charge in the garage L1 120V reduced ~8A because like you i dont drive far and dont care about longer charging times

L1 max ~14A almost caused a fire in my garage so be aware

the i3 is a superb daily driver city car for lots of relatively short trips ... 95% of my driving

for the 5% when i need to go far i take the toyota

For Clarity: I am renting the house...that's why I don't want to install it.

I have a 2014 328xi wagon for longer trips...wife doesn't work.

The German Shepherd is going ALL THE WAY in the back, not in the backseat :)

The more I research, the more the all-electric makes more sense.

So now the question is....lease or buy a 14/15? Lease looks like 300ish/mo whereas buying would be writing a check for 18k or so...is 30 more miles of range really worth it???

I'm really pissed because last month the local utility here in San Diego was offering an ADDITIONAL 10k off of these things...I missed out.

Only you can decide about lease/buy. If you plan to keep the car a long time, buy has its advantages. If you like to change your cars on a regular basis, lease has its advantages (one of which is constant warranty coverage). But, after infant mortality, a BEV should be quite reliable, and the battery warranty is 8-years, or 100K miles.

I saw no big up side to buying a REx for my use pattern. I would probably be better off selling my ICE and maybe renting one when needed, but it's paid for, so mostly just insurance costs (but I only have a one-car garage, which means the i3 sits outside - not as nice in the winter!).

As battery tech improves, and more EVs are out there, range anxiety will wane somewhat. More than one forum member has said they essentially never use the REx, so, to me at least, it seems a waste to carry around - it still needs servicing, even if not used. The BEV has a heat pump verses the REx's resistance heating (like a toaster), so when heating is required, the REx will not be as efficient. Only when it is super cold and the heat pump can't provide the needed heat does the BEV resort to the resistance heating. If your commute was longer, or you needed or wanted to sell the car in a few years, having the larger battery pack would be better and easier to sell down the road. But, the vast majority of people use the car as intended...to commute or run around the city, and even the original i3 has more than enough capacity for that. Plus, as CCS charging starts to show up more places, and can be relied on to be available when needed, the size of the battery is even less important.

ElVerde said:
The Occasional Use Cables (OUC) included with some i3's were 10 A units while others were 12 A. A basic 120 V outlet is rated for 15 A, but only 80% of that, or 12 A, for continuous use as when charging an EV. Some EV owners have had problems with old outlets that overheated at 12 A. The i3's iDrive system allows the maximum charging current to be reduced from the Maximum if necessary, but of course, that would increase the charging time. It would be best to monitor the OUC plug and outlet the first few times charging at the Maximum setting to insure that overheating isn't a problem or that other loads on the same circuit don't overload the circuit and trip the circuit breaker. Nevertheless, with your anticipated use pattern, charging with the OUC should be sufficient, even if you had to reduce the charging current.

ElVerde said:

I edited out a few statements as I am only responding to these.

A German Shepherd is _not_ going to fit in the very back, that just isn't happening unless you like to fold your dog into a duffle bag. I have a 60# lab mix, it would be impossible to get her behind the back seat. Perhaps a Maltese would fit, or maybe a Corgi...but a shepherd? Ha! In order to carry your dog you will have to fold down the back seat, and then every time you left off the gas and it kicks into regenerative braking the dog will fall forward and get 2 legs stuck between the front seats and the top of the folded down backseats.

An EV only makes sense if you can charge at home or the office _consistently_, as soon as you have to be reliant upon charging outside of those locations they lose all practicality...unless the EV range is long enough that you could truly make it many days without _needing_ to charge.

I would avoid the REx, I have one and _hate_ the REx part of it. It is an unnecessary annoyance that the dealer "sold" me into, it annoys me every couple of weeks when the idiotic maintenance cycle runs...and with your short driving it will only be more aggravating as it will never complete a cycle, so every time you get in the car will be this stupid flood of messages that you have to dismiss until it can complete a maintenance cycle.

Perhaps I am just bitter, as this is my first BMW and almost guaranteed to be my last. Between having a bad experience with a dealer (that everyone else loves, or at least every BMW fanatic does). The i3 is an OK car as long as you don't expect all of the gadgetry you are paying for to work consistently. The "Adaptive Cruise" mostly adapts into not working at least 30% of the time, which should also make you wonder how reliable the safety features that share the camera truly are. The software design around the REx is entirely horrible, why should I be backing out of my driveway and have a stupid warning gong and message blockout the backup camera to tell me that I can continue my trip...again, if I don't need to _worry_ about the maintenance cycle why do I need repeated popup dialogs that blank out whatever I am doing (Nav, backup camera, self-parking, etc). The back seat is entirely stupid geometry if anyone plans on using a car seat of any form, and entirely a compromise in safety for any occupant of the car seat.

Just know what you are getting, I would personally suggest anyone that cannot reliably charge at home to avoid an EV. All of the convenience goes away if you cannot consistently get a full charge at home...as being reliant upon a charge network is 100X worse than having to stop for gas.

ElVerde said:
I had a kid, sold my 911, and am trying to figure out what to buy. I don't want to spend a ton of money on some luxo-thing, but I like driving something somewhat unique. I would have kept the 911 if it weren't for wanting to hang out w/ my 7 month old, and it's hard to be satisfied with any other sports car after owning a 911...especially one w/ 4 doors.

I drive about 9 miles a day to and from work. My wife has a 2014 328xi wagon that we can use for longer trips. Obviously I don't need the REX, but I think I like the flexibility of having it if needed, if I take a work-role that requires more driving, etc.

Is there any appreciable maintenance cost difference/reliability concerns of REX vs non-REX?

Also, will a german shepherd fit in the back?

I'm thinking I will likely buy a used i3 rather than lease a new one...seems like a better value prop. Anything to be scared of buying one CPO?

The OP probably already bought one, but figured I can still reply for others reading.

Your kid will love the low window sills. S/he can see a ton more compared to the view from a "standard" car. With 9 miles a day, you don't need the REX at all. The whole benefit of an electric car is to not have to deal with all the plumbing of a gas car. You can avoid oil changes! Less stuff goes wrong with the BEV. Yes, a dog will fit in the back just fine. Yes, buy a used i3. The deals are the best out there. But I also encourage you to lease so that I can buy the lease return in a couple years for 50% off.

Simple Suggestion/Answer

I am glad that I have a REX unit.
But, I have never needed it.

I would not order it.

Agreed. If it's a second car, particularly. Having the REX means you have to do oil changes and other ICE related activities which sorta takes away from the whole freedom of owning an electric vehicle. I do have a REX as my daily mileage exceeds the battery capacity. I've been able to charge at both ends so far which means I haven't used the REX at all, but I suppose it's nice that it's there. If I worked in the same City that I worked, I'd for sure do without it and get the BEV model. But then again....

...the cost of the REX is not that much higher when buying used.

Bottom line? If you're in the city and don't commute more than 10 mi a day, you're totally fine w/o the REX. That situation may change if you visit far away family members and it's your only car. You get the idea.

ElVerde said:

I have a 2014 328xi wagon for longer trips...wife doesn't work.

So now the question is....lease or buy a 14/15? Lease looks like 300ish/mo whereas buying would be writing a check for 18k or so...is 30 more miles of range really worth it???

I'm really pissed because last month the local utility here in San Diego was offering an ADDITIONAL 10k off of these things...I missed out.

I have had the BEV since August 2017 and have covered near 6000 miles, including 500 miles in a borrowed REX one weekend. There are no circumstances whatsoever in which I would entertain ever owning a REX. They are very noticeably slower and the already poor handling is worse - doubtless from the significant additional weight; the battery range is less - also doubtless from the significant additional weight; the noise of the REX when it is on is extremely annoying and the car's performance is muted during that time.

With DC charging and sensible forward thinking there is almost never a need to have to rely on the REX, and for all this you have to pay around £3k more for the privilege of carting around all that ICE junk that needs servicing just like a regular car. Absolutely no thanks - and yet 80% of i3 sales are the REX, which as far as I can see shows how little people new to EVs know, how little the dealers bother to explain the facts, and how needlessly insecure buyers are about range anxiety that really is more fiction than reality. I have never run flat yet in my BEV, and I only let the borrowed REX activate its REX function because the fuel in it I was told by the dealer I didn't need to replace and I was too lazy to stop for a charge under those circumstances.

I am waiting for the rumoured 120Ah battery upgrade allegedly due this year and then I will change, for another BEV. My last car was an AMG SLK doing 21mpg, less in town. I miss the performance, I miss the handling, I miss the good looks (the i3 really is an ugly bastard), and I miss the extremely comfortable seats and driving position but my god I don't miss the running costs.

Also, the borrowed REX I had was fitted with the small sat nav screen. That was awful. My car has the bigger screen and I hadn't appreciated what a difference it makes. That small screen in the borrowed car was nasty - so I suggest making the bigger screen a must-have accessory. Standard on the new model, and I suspect the small screen was only there to incentivise people to spend on the upgrade, but most didn't judging by the used ads.

Just bought a 1 year old 90Ah REX but only used the REX once in four weeks and that was deliberately to see how it worked. It was impressive and kicked in without us noticing and allowed continued normal use of the car beyond the electric range. virtually silent and all we noticed was the batt meter remained fixed at 5% or thereabouts. So my conclusion is that REX is a very impressive bit of kit but to be honest probably not needed for a second car . Definitely if its your only car though to allow unlimited range using gas.

Keith

Back