Buying an i3 for a teenager

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjvincent

My son is turning 16 next year and like most kids his age where they have little desire to drive or any interest in a car. I know the time is coming and I know that the 3rd car we will be needing will not be our 18 year old TDI Jetta (because my wife want's me to get rid of it). He can learn on my wife's Alltrack and I'll let him get used to driving a big van like my Eurovan. I know he'll need some sort of vehicle and I'm thinking a used i3 REx would work out because:

1. They have lost a bunch through depreciation (makes the price great for a used car)
2. He has no preconceived notion as to what he must have (he could care less what powers it)

So, does it seem like something that a 16 year old could use locally for work and whatnot? Obviously, I'd be driving it too and probably most of the time during the school year as he'll just use the school bus. I know there are other options out there that people could lecture me on for years telling me that I should get some cheap "Hyundai and call it a day" but that's not going to happen.

I'm looking for some info on if anyone else has done this or what it's like when a teenager drives my i3. Things like that.

The car has a lot of room for up to four people, and depending on options, has some potentially useful safety features like the pedestrian detection system that could help running through a parking lot with lots of distracted teens. If you are in an area with snow or ice, you'll want to pick up a set of winter tires/wheels. The REx option may be a total waste, but some can't live without it, depending on your typical daily trip(s). If you can live without the REx, you won't have engine oil, filter, muffler, spark plug, etc. maintenance, and, the BEV has a heat pump that ends up more efficient. The REx only has resistance heaters...depending on where you are, that difference alone could be a significant factor in available range. Many of those that have had maintenance issues are related to the REx, not that they are prevalent or ominous.

I grew up working at my dads shop and we worked on Porsches and Audis. So, I have seen what teenagers can do to cars. I do like that the rear fenders come off like a Z3 or Z4. I raced both in Grand Am and it is a blessing to get a Z4 fixed when it gets hit in the rear as opposed to a regular BMW sedan (i.e. e46).

I'd end up getting a REx just because a teenager does not think like an adult. They would run it to 2% and then call for help (which their phone is probably at 1%). I know that I had a hard enough time keep my own car when I was a teenager from running out of gas. I think it was never on full.

I drove an i3 and thought it was a nice car. What I really liked was that the price point for the age is pretty much up my alley. What else i like is the coding because if any of you have a VW/Audi you know you are in heaven because of VAG-COM for the last 20 years and if you have a newer VW/Audi, you can code in a while slew of different things. I understand about the tires but I'm used to that because if any of you ever owned a Eurovan (when they were new) that had the 16" tires, you were used to $200 tires that were only made by two manufacturers as one went out of round with ply wall separation and the other wore out in 15K miles. Top it off the unique brake pads that wore out in 15K miles and cost $230/axle. Fast forward from 2003 to 2012 and the brake pad and tire gouging stopped as others came to the market. I still own the Eurovan but unless VW sells another pop top, I have to keep it.

I think a bit of change would be good. I have to keep up the image because trust me, I'm the only guy that drives around in a Eurovan in my area. So, if anyone would rob a bank in my area and it was reported that the person drove away with a Silver VW van, the police would know exactly what house to go to. In addition to that, I only live 7 miles from the master BMW/Mini parts warehouse (which has a charging station and a lounge called the Electric Lounge).

The nice thing about the i3 is that it's not a big deal to plug it in when you get home. Assuming you're there for awhile, you will always have a full 'tank'. Not true on the REx where you must stop and actually spend real money out of pocket (rather than dad's on the electric bill). Plus, who wants to stop and put in a gallon or so? For running around locally, IMHO, the REx is a waste. It's not as efficient, has some of the typical ICE issues, and if you're out of gas, has less range than the BEV. The BEV has a heat pump, which is significantly more efficient than the REx's resistance only heating (the BEV has that, too, but only needs it when it is really cold).

I have a 2017 i3 with REX.

My son, who is a Senior in College, loves to borrow it.

He has a Chevrolet Tahoe that is a CNG bi-fueled. That is a great car.
Has a problem with the navigation system though. When they are on
their way to Dallas, the Navigation System takes them to New Orleans
by mistake. Need to have its software updated.

This is my 2nd BEV. The first one was a Ford Focus Electric. Great car,
just needed more range.

I would suggest yes, for the student. If it has enough range.

Can the student use another car, when longer range is needed?

We have a Diesel Touareg for road trips. That is also a great car.

He is on the University of Oklahoma's Mock Trial Team. They spend a
lot of time on the road.

:roll:
My daughter has already turned 16 and I am letting her drive my 1993 Volvo 240 since it is relatively slow, built like a tank, a quality car if not one of the best built cars ever made, and safe.

I'm turning 41. I recently purchased a fully loaded BMW 2016 Tera BEV in Fluid Black w/ about 1700 miles on the speedo for 32k, 30k having financed. Nice to treat myself to something special after all these years of working hard. It's a dream car and fills all my needs except for I guess, the small range.

I really think something is wrong in society, when a parent buys a relatively new bimmer, even base model at 18-20k for a 16 year old. Pretty spoiled. I'm working class though, but if I had the money, I still wouldn't commit such gluttony on my children. If they want an i3, work for it. Otherwise, ride the bus, gus or be at least happy, contempt w/ a hand-me-down.

There's something to be said for a newer car with all of the improvements in safety, especially for a new driver...they need all of the help they can get. More expensive cars tend to have more safety equipment, which is one reason they cost more. But, a lightly used one where the depreciation has taken a good chunk out of the cost, can be a decent choice. We've learned a lot in the last 20-years about how to protect the driver from himself and others that are either ignorant of the problem, or just not paying attention - the newer cars are safer.

supergrafx77 said:
:roll:
My daughter has already turned 16 and I am letting her drive my 1993 Volvo 240 since it is relatively slow, built like a tank, a quality car if not one of the best built cars ever made, and safe.

I'm turning 41. I recently purchased a fully loaded BMW 2016 Tera BEV in Fluid Black w/ about 1700 miles on the speedo for 32k, 30k having financed. Nice to treat myself to something special after all these years of working hard. It's a dream car and fills all my needs except for I guess, the small range.

I really think something is wrong in society, when a parent buys a relatively new bimmer, even base model at 18-20k for a 16 year old. Pretty spoiled. I'm working class though, but if I had the money, I still wouldn't commit such gluttony on my children. If they want an i3, work for it. Otherwise, ride the bus, gus or be at least happy, contempt w/ a hand-me-down.

The reason Volvo cars are safe is only nanny drivers buy them and frustrate those held up behind them. Its nothing to do with crash testing results. ;)

Thank you for passing judgement on my son and I without knowing us at all and our financial situation.

As for everyone else, thanks for the tips and suggestions. That's what I was looking for.

jjvincent said:
Thank you for passing judgement on my son and I without knowing us at all and our financial situation.

As for everyone else, thanks for the tips and suggestions. That's what I was looking for.
My point was not about one's financial situation, but lavishing a 16 year old child, with such a high priced vehicle as his/her first car.
Not passing judgement, just sharing my thoughts as a father myself, of two teenagers.
I could understand if this were a parent's vehicle who let their child use it from time to time to get to the hockey rink, etc.., etc...
Once again, my comment had nothing to do w/ whether you are financially able to provide such generosity or not. Just seems like spoiling in the definition of the term for a 16 year old's first ride. Why not just be done with it and get him a Tesla Model X? Or better yet, wait for the Porsche Electric soon coming. Now that is a beautiful car.

The Nissan Leaf is an ugly car..., but they can be had for $6k. That seems modest/utilitarian enough to promote electric while having some piece of mind that one's precious child/teenager, won't get too cocky behind the wheel/his ugly car. And the Leaf comes with the added benefit, that no one will be jealous/hold grudges of the kid in High School and life in general (judgement free included). It does happen. Seems like a good starter car to me.

Also, a word of caution about the i3, the speed on the thing is quite amazing. But imo, could get a kid with not much driving experience, in a bit of trouble. I often find myself going much faster than I thought I was many times during the day.

supergrafx77 said:
jjvincent said:

My point was not about one's financial situation, but lavishing a 16 year old child, with such a high priced vehicle as his/her first car.
Not passing judgement, just sharing my thoughts as a father myself, of two teenagers.
I could understand if this were a parent's vehicle who let their child use it from time to time to get to the hockey rink, etc.., etc...
Once again, my comment had nothing to do w/ whether you are financially able to provide such generosity or not. Just seems like spoiling in the definition of the term for a 16 year old's first ride. Why not just be done with it and get him a Tesla Model X? Or better yet, wait for the Porsche Electric soon coming. Now that is a beautiful car.

The Nissan Leaf is an ugly car..., but they can be had for $6k. That seems modest/utilitarian enough to promote electric while having some piece of mind that one's precious child/teenager, won't get too cocky behind the wheel/his ugly car. And the Leaf comes with the added benefit, that no one will be jealous/hold grudges of the kid in High School and life in general (judgement free included). It does happen. Seems like a good starter car to me.

Also, a word of caution about the i3, the speed on the thing is quite amazing. But imo, could get a kid with not much driving experience, in a bit of trouble. I often find myself going much faster than I thought I was many times during the day.

I don't agree with your commits. You should be commending a father who will spend the money to make sure his son is in the safe well built car.

Didn't think my situation would ever bring to be able to shed some light on a subject such as this one.

A few things to consider:

1. It's possible to bring up a kid right so that they can appreciate the fancy car and not flaunt it. To use it under control and responsibly. Don't underestimate the influence a parent can have on a 16 year old. Not all 16 year olds are the same and it's not just b/c of their personalities. As parents, we can make a difference.

At first glance, yeah it's crazy to buy a kid a "new" BMW anything, let alone a fancy i-series. But it's no secret that the i3 has the most depreciation ever. It's worse than Jaguar and Mercedes, which are the top two luxury vehicles with the worst resale value. So as for dollars spent, it's a non issue. Used i3's can be had for $15-17k, the price of a new Honda Civic which is entry level. If you get into Honda Accord prices, you're already in the low 20k mark which is pricier than a used i3.

Should you go out of your way to buy a lesser car so that your kid or family is perceived as less spoiled? Personally, I don't really go out of my way to make anyone think anything of me. Decisions on what car to buy will be a lot harder if all you can think about is what people think of you. Just get what you like for the reasons you want that make sense to you. Not everyone will agree and that doesn't matter. If you own/drive an i3, you already know that. Lots of people hate that thing and yet we drive them with such pride. We don't care, so why are you putting people down who love the car and want to get it for their kid (probably also so they can drive it on occasion)?

2. It's also possible that the safety of the child's life surpasses the any concern for their arrogance or how they're perceived.

My dad let me drive his BMW 735i in high school. Why? That was the only car available. Buying me a car of my own, even if it was a Honda Accord would've been spoiling me more than merely letting me use the family car (even though it was regularly every weekday I had school). What did my dad drive while I drove his bimmer? A van. A dodge van. A green one. The same one he bought so that he could take his parents and his own wife and kids out for regular dinners so the family could be together. As the more responsible driver and as the parent, he picked the less safe car and let me drive the safe one. Did he care what other people thought of me? Probably not one bit. His top and only priority? That I made it home every night. At the risk of being looked at as snobby or even actually becoming snobby? Yes. Better to have a son that's alive and a complete jerk that no one likes than to have one that didn't make it that everyone adores b/c he was so humble and decided to take the bus rather than drive his dad's fancy luxury vehicle. At the end of the day, a car is a utility. It serves a logical purpose no matter how fancy it may be with technology or performance. Sometimes a parent just wants to be a parent and take care of their kids in the best way they know how.

My 16 yr old son is one who could car less about what he drives with the exception that he is already found out that he is not a big fan of “burning” money at the gas pump. Where we live electricity is substantially less expensive than gas.

He is also a highly motivated young man who is currently attending college and will likely finish his bachelor’s degree by the time he turns 18.

Tomorrow my son is getting a new i3 REX (dealership loaner). It will be our second one in the family.

After all incentives, the payments will be just over $100 a month. He will be making the payments himself through an entrepreneurial business he started himself that still allows time for his college classes.

Yes, I’m concerned he will wreck it and insurance will go sky high but at least he will be safe.

I’ve come to the conclusion that it is a good teen option for my son in spite of it having a luxury car emblem on the hood but openly understand that every situation and kid is unique.

$100 a month? That's great!
I think you meant he could NOT care less. He cares so little, he couldn't care any less. Too bad though. If he cared more about what he drove, maybe he'd get more excited about how lucky he is. Anyway, sounds like you both have good things coming so best of luck.

Back