i3 battery warranty and CPO

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danix

I know that the i3 batteries are 10/100k warranty and also that CPO extends factory warranty by CPO for 1 year and unlimited.
This is unlikely but I'm curious - if I buy a car with 45k miles still under warranty, and happened to pass 100k while CPO is still active, would CPO cover the batteries or are they excluded? [edit - I'm in CA - I think the warranty may be 10yrs/150k miles here?]

I'm looking at a 2014 BEV with 45k miles for under $14k and an almost identical 2015 with 17k miles for just under $20k. Seems like a big difference in cost but as I'm writing this, I am realizing that the factory warranty would be up once I hit 50k and a lot of the convenience/tech features will be out of warranty so that's no good.

danix said:
I'm looking at a 2014 BEV with 45k miles for under $14k and an almost identical 2015 with 17k miles for just under $20k. Seems like a big difference in cost but as I'm writing this, I am realizing that the factory warranty would be up once I hit 50k and a lot of the convenience/tech features will be out of warranty so that's no good.
As an owner of a 2014 BEV, I'm far more worried about the items covered by the 4 yr/50k mi warranty than by the battery pack. If the inferior replacement motor mount bolt should break and cause significant collateral damage as is common, that could total our i3 after its 4 yr/50k mi warranty has expired. There are several very expensive electronic components that don't seem particularly reliable, either. But other than a defective KLE which I knew about when I purchased our i3 in November, 2014, and which was replaced under warranty, our i3 has been trouble-free (well, there was the motor mount bolt replacement and the upcoming driver airbag software fix, but nothing actually broke).

Back