Where is the best place to shop for a 2014/5 BEV?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritzner

Where is the best place to shop for a 2014/5 BEV?
I've searched on Cars.com and Autotrader.com mostly. Any where better to look? I've tried Autotempest, but I'm not that familiar.

I found a buyer for my ICE and after months of reading about the i3 and watching every video I can find on the internet about it ... I'm ready to buy one. And soon if possible, my ICE may be gone next week and it is my daily driver!! My wife has a car too, but living with one car would be very tough. I was originally thinking I could find one for $15k, but decided that I wanted the following options. I've found some in the $17k area.

I'm looking for a Giga BEV with the follow.
- Parking Assist
- BMW i interior design "Lodge" = (Giga World)
- Reversing Camera
- Rapid charging, DC
- Navigation system Professional
(Can you tell I've using bwmvin quite a bit?)

Also, what can you tell me about the warranty?
4yr/50k - Is that from the build date or original sale date or ______?
And the battery has a separate 10yr/100k warranty, right?

Thanks everyone!!

When I was searching, a Google search turned up a couple of Atlanta area used car dealers that "specialized" in i3's. Also several in CA and I believe at least one in FL. Can you say road trip ?? Or you can arrange for shipping. Of course there's always your local BMW dealer's used lot.
Regarding warranty, it starts on the in service date, not manufacturing date. i think the battery warranty is 8 yrs, not sure about length.
Good luck !!

I thought the battery was 8 years too ... but then saw something that made me think 10.

Road trip would be fun, but not really feasible with a BEV. I've shipped my last couple of cars, so no worries going that route. There is a place that specializes in Leafs in OR, but has an i3 of interest. I'll continue searching around.

fritzner said:
I thought the battery was 8 years too ... but then saw something that made me think 10.
I believe only i3's sold in California have a 10 year and maybe 150k mile battery pack warranty. The rest of us in the U.S. have only an 8 yr/100k mi warranty.

A failed or seriously degraded battery pack does not worry me because the battery packs of high-mileage i3's seem to be doing quite well. Unlike the Nissan Leaf, VW e-Golf, and Mitsubishi i-MiEV, the temperature of an i3's battery pack is actively controlled using heat pump refrigerant.

As an owner not a lessee, I am much more concerned about the very expensive repair costs of various electronic controllers and other i3 parts that don't seem to be as reliable as I would have hoped they would be. So far, so good, but our warranty expires in ~10 months.

alohart said:
fritzner said:
I believe only i3's sold in California have a 10 year and maybe 150k mile battery pack warranty. The rest of us in the U.S. have only an 8 yr/100k mi warranty.

A failed or seriously degraded battery pack does not worry me because the battery packs of high-mileage i3's seem to be doing quite well. Unlike the Nissan Leaf, VW e-Golf, and Mitsubishi i-MiEV, the temperature of an i3's battery pack is actively controlled using heat pump refrigerant.

As an owner not a lessee, I am much more concerned about the very expensive repair costs of various electronic controllers and other i3 parts that don't seem to be as reliable as I would have hoped they would be. So far, so good, but our warranty expires in ~10 months.

Oh, ok ... that makes sense.

For the very expensive repair cost of various electronic controllers, is there anything to look out for or any early indicators when shopping for a used i3 or is it just a game of chance?

fritzner said:
For the very expensive repair cost of various electronic controllers, is there anything to look out for or any early indicators when shopping for a used i3 or is it just a game of chance?
There was an issue with the motor mount bolt on early REx models. That's the only one I know about. Generally speaking, I would assume any known issues have been sorted out if you get one that's actually been driven and not a "garage queen". Some of the early '14 models are coming off warranty now. If you're concerned, get a '15 or higher.

fritzner said:
2014 BEV's might be slightly less reliable than later models, but BEV's in general seem to be somewhat more reliable than the more complex REx's.

So there's one right here in Pittsburgh nearly exactly what I want, but the dealership bought out the person's lease, then didnt make the payment .... so the car is stuck in some sort of financial limbo.
This dealer is also notoriously high.

Also someone said they were going to come this weekend to buy my ICE, and now I haven't heard from them in 5 days.

So everything is a bit up in the air at the moment.

Back