Is buying a used i3 REX (2014 or 2015) a good idea? Concerned about maintenance costs.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramiropadilla

Hi everyone,

I've been driving my leased 2015 i3 REX for almost 2 1/2 years now. I love the car and plan on either leasing a 2018 or buying a 2015 model (I've seen some really good deals, I'm in SoCal).

Has anyone done the same? Purchased a used 2014 / 2015 REX? I'm concerned about the cost of maintenance (short- and long-term), since at this point the only place you can take the car for repairs is BMW dealerships, and as we all know they tend to be pricey.

Thx,

RP

I haven't owned my REX to really know, but I did call a few dealerships and was quoted $180 for brake flush and $160 for oil change. Prices here in Norcal tend to be higher than Socal. From what I understand, that's pretty much the extent of the maintenance that's specific to the REX. Everything else like tires and brakes can be done elsewhere for whatever you'd be paying with another car.

My advice is definitely don't buy off the 2015 that you're leasing. The car's value has dropped in a big way and you'd be paying w/o realizing the depreciation. Not sure they'd even let you, but to renegotiate the buyoff price on yours would be the most I'd have anything to do with your car. Better to just turn away and look for another 2015 lease return.

No, don't buy a 2014. It'll have too many miles, you risk all the negative stuff surrounding the 2014 models and your warranty period will be too close to ending or will be over already.

You can lease a 2018, but do it for the right reasons. Don't do it b/c you can't afford to finance the car. Do it b/c you're worried about the battery, don't plan to keep it that long, don't drive that many miles, aren't really sure it's for you, think you may want to replace it with something with more range down the line, and really don't find the purchase of 2015 appealing to you enough to buy. The best value will be in buying a 2015 model. I have no problem urging you to lease the 2018 though. B/c it'll be me that will be buying it half off 2 years from now, haha. In all seriousness (I was serious though), the 2015 used model to buy is your best bet as far as value is concerned. I don't know your expectations and your particular situation so leasing a 2018 might be better for you but those are my thoughts. Good luck.

If you're slightly handy, www.ecstuning.com has a brake fluid flush kit (and probably others as well) that will more than pay for itself the first time you do a brake fluid flush, and from then on, your only costs would be for some fluid every two years. It should work on other vehicles you may have as well.

Changing the oil does not appear to be a major pain, but more involved than say on a more conventional vehicle...and, there's not all that much of it to deal with, so you could do that yourself. I do not know how tricky a tune-up should be to perform, but it's not likely to be needed for many years since the thing doesn't actually run all that much.

BMW specific dianostics tools are available to independent shops, and, you can buy one for yourself. There is at least one setup you can get that will run on a pc.

Once the car is out of warranty, lots of stuff is cheaper if done by yourself, if you have the tools and talent. The thing does not require lots of special knowledge for the more common things.

Back