using ChargePoint

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscarricher

Hi
Im in Australia
There are a couple of chargepoints in local malls that i would like to use.

Now when i search with their map, it indicates that it is free. Just wanted to check if this really is the case? I presume i just register at the chargepoint website for a card and just go?
Anyone else in australia use these?

In Canada ChargePoint Terms and Conditions are set out on their website. I believe we got their rfid for free years ago. Used their chargers for free for years. We finally got charged $10 on our credit card when we used a charger that wasn't free. When our account goes below $5 that credit card gets charged $10 to top up our card balance. We have never had a problem with ChargePoint. I believe that you can trust them.

Just a note of caution - the green indicates the charger is available, but not necessarily that the spot is open. But yes, other than that caveat I've found their system updates every few minutes and is generally reliable.

In the USA you don't need a physical card as it's possible to signup, pay, and start sessions via smartphone app. But most regular users prefer to have a one as it's quicker to swipe than futz with the phone.

Charge Point has a slightly different business model that the other folks. Chargepoint stations are somewhat "owned" privately by companies if they wish to have them. You'll see that in businesses or hospitals, they'll have "employee only" stations. When it's not a public station, they can set their own prices to whatever they want. If there's a relationship with a City, the City will charge whatever they want or can get away with. It's not really set by Charge Point themselves.

Back