Transporting BEV

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srivenkat

Hi All,

If I buy a BEV at a far-off location and need to transport it, what are the most economical options, if I would like to transport it myself within USA? Would I rent an SUV from a car rental company and a trailer from U-Haul?

Thanks.

Trailering the thing, either yourself or via a car carrier company, may be the easier way. How far do you need to move the car?

If you can afford the time involved, and if you're lucky, there may be some DC fast chargers along your path, and you could just drive it. If you had to resort to L2 acv inputs, it would add a LOT of time to your trip, but potentially possible.

I got my leased BEV in 2015 from 300 miles away - I rented a one-way 10' truck and a full trailer from U-haul and drove it home. Worked very well. Beware of car rental SUV's & pick-up trucks - most of these are not allowed to tow - this has to be explicitly stated in the contract. Those that allow towing are usually more expensive. Depending on the distance, towing the car yourself might not be much cheaper than just hiring a shipping company to deliver the car. It would be faster though :) Good luck!

Back