Why did you buy the BMW i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extendedessay2018

I'm doing a comparative analysis on the demand of electric cars in Germany and England. I wanted to ask about on the reasons why electric car users themselves bought electric cars, and why others preferred not to.

So, why did you buy the BMW i3?

Because of the REx. We wanted an ev with better range that didn't rely on the poor infrastructure found in most of north america. Our smart ED sold us on evs during the two years that we owned it. It was fabulous. However, we wanted to be able to drive to our cottage 250 km away. We also wanted an ev that we could take on long trips of several thousand kilometers.

I'm not from Germany nor England, but being that you don't have many replies, I thought I'd share my list:

1. I wanted an electric car for sure. Not to be green and not to save money, although the latter was a bonus. I just like the performance of an electric car and less headache of having a car that primarily uses electricity. I did buy the REX model.
2. I wanted a small car. As small as possible but still comfortably fit my family. I live in a big city and it's too hard to find parking with larger vehicles.
3. The value. The i3 is the best value used EV of 2018. There are many unique reasons why used i3's are priced the way they are, particularly 2015 models. I can get into those details if you are interested, but it looks like your questions are about general reasons.
4. I'm weird and figure I should drive a car just as weird as I am.

Here in the UK the electric infrastructure is terrible, so please look at this as me answering the question, 'why did you buy your i3 Rex?' We would not have bought a BEV. The i3 is our second vehicle and is being used by my wife to commute to her place of work and for us to use on a daily basis around the immediate area. (Our main vehicle is a diesel AWD.) The Rex gives us an emergency option. In our opinion a BEV would not because the charging facilities are that hit and miss. We believe it will be cheaper to use an i3 than to use a conventionally powered petrol engined car. Saving the planet didn't factor in our thoughts.
We chose the i3 Rex to remove/reduce suffering with 'Range anxiety'. We looked at a Nissan Leaf, but that appeared to be a car which had just had its guts replaced. To us, the i3 looks to have been designed from scratch to be an electric car, rather than a car with an electric motor stuck in it as an after-thought. Why didn't we choose a Prius or similar hybrid? Because in our opinion they are 'botched jobs' and still rely on a petrol engine, without it they are practically useless.
The i3 won't rust. There are not many on the roads. We think it is ahead of it's time and will be more future proof than others in the price bracket we paid. The i3 looks to be of a better interior quality and finish than the others. The cabin is carbon fibre, it is very strong and we believe it will be very safe.
The car we bought was a reasonable price, the depreciation hit had been taken by the company. We would not have bought one at new price, they are too expensive. The car we bought had a good specification, making us feel very special as we use it.
On closing, my wife has always seen cars as 'its just a car', the i3, she loves, she smiled the first time she sat in it, she loves driving it and enjoys the challenge of doing a journey and not touching the brake pedal. Until owning the i3, my wife has never enthused about buying a car because there is even somewhere for her to put her handbag!

Incredibly cheap used for a car that fits me well. Went Rex as BEV would be mostly useless where I live (about 4 hours from major cities at 80 mph).

A plug was mandatory and so was 0-60 in about 7 sec or faster. Rex is on the slow side, but fast enough.

US. The car is perfect for 90+% of all our local driving. 40-100 miles per day. Went BEV as there are many L2 chargers in the local area and we have a L2 charger at home. We have had a Tesla since the beginning of 2015 and the i3 was a great addition.

Back