New i3 Owner

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tman66

Hello everyone, long time BMW owner, but i3 newbie.

I've been lurking and researching the i3 for quite some time now. Finally pulled the trigger on a 2014 i3 BEV model with all the options yesterday and picking it up on Tuesday. I only needed a 10 min 'test drive' and fell in love with it immediately. I live 2.2km from work so this seemed to be a no-brainer considering my fiance drives a 3 Series xDrive wagon that I can use for longer trips.

First order of business is coding. I've coded E90's in the past using a VM setup on my Mac so I shouldn't have too much trouble using the BimmerCode app and Bluetooth dongle. Looks like there are quite a few 'options' I can enable. ;)

Availability and pricing here in Ontario, Canada is not as good as the USA so I had to wait awhile and then 'pounce'. I was lucky enough to get it from a BMW dealer so fingers crossed it works out.

Anyway, just wanted to drop a note and say HI. I used to be very active when the E90 came out on E90post dot com so let's see what happens here. Tuesday can not come quick enough. lol.

Hey Tmann,

I'm in your neighbourhood and am looking to get an i3 Rex, my budget is under $30K CDN so I'm limited to a 2014 to 2015 model.
Any advice before I pull the trigger?

Thanks

john

The deals are out there. We got our Dec 2015 (production date) Rex fully loaded with every option and 12,000 miles on it for 32k.

There is a 2014 BEV going for 24k at a Vancouver dealership.

There have been a few dealerships out here that have brought them in by the truckload so there are hundreds to choose from out here.

The BMW dealerships don't have much in used or new. It seems strange that a local Honda dealership knows more about these cars than BMW.

johnnydee said:

Thanks

john

Here in the UK, early Range Extender models have been troublesome. THere were several recalls and out of warranty repairs can be very expensive.

Searching should find you details.

johnnydee said:
Hey Tmann,

I'm in your neighbourhood and am looking to get an i3 Rex, my budget is under $30K CDN so I'm limited to a 2014 to 2015 model.

Thanks

john

Hey John,

PM me and I'll be happy to chat about the i3 over a Timmies.

Tosh

johnnydee said:
Hey Tmann,

Thanks

john

The biggest thing for me, and I should've researched this more before buying, is that the range reduction in cold weather is really a thing.

My commute to work is 6km round trip and on errand days maybe as much as 20km. However, during this very cold winter (and not helped by my short trips I'm sure) the usable range after charging overnight (110v) and with pre-conditioning and departure time set has been around 90km or less and on those crazy cold days (-20c) less than 80km.

Luckily I always park indoors, both home and work, so that helps. I can also charge at work so it hasn't been an issue but does make me have to plan a bit more. We have an ICE 3 series wagon for the longer trips.

I'm looking forward to my first spring and summer with the i3 to see how much range I can get in normal/hot weather.

Just drove home a 2017 protonic blue i3 BEV with parking assistant, technology and drive assistant packages (i guess the only thing missing is the sunroof?) for $17.5k OTD with my fiat 500e trade-in. Not new to EV cars (have had 3), but im proud to say that I'm now a newly-minted BMW driver :D . Been eyeing one for the past 6mos and constant browsing of autotraders/car gurus for a 2017 with drive assistant package. Saw this one came online just 24hr ago and I had to jump on it before it's gone. Glad that i did because this car is AMAZING!1!!! I used the ACC on the way back and it's just sublime even through moderate bends on the freeway.

Next step is to get some 25% tint done on the driver+passenger windows and possibly lowering it. Anyone has experience with lowering the i3 and what to watch out for?

Back