7-Day Test Drive: 2015 i3 REx

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbwelch

Hi, all. I've just purchased a 2015 i3 REx with 25k miles on it.

I take delivery on Friday and have a 7-day test drive period during which I can return the car no questions asked. I've already got it scheduled for a pre-purchase inspection at my local BMW dealership on Monday morning. I think I have done all of the research I can do, and I feel pretty confident about my purchase.

However, since a lot of you are experienced i3 owners I'm wondering if there's anything specific to the i3 that you think I should check/test during my 7-day trial period. Any i3-specific thoughts or tips would be much appreciated!

Unless they've just changed the tires, look closely at the wear pattern...you may want to have a four-wheel alignment done prior to delivery.

If it has 20" wheels, and you get snow or the temperature gets below 45-degrees or so, you really want a set of winter tires. The 20" are only available in summer rubber/tread configurations, so that means getting a set of 19" ones, and the only winter tires require a square setup, not the staggered setup standard on the REx, so if you swap tires verses buying new wheels, you'd need at least two new wheels (and TPMS sensors).

Noted. I'll definitely ask the BMW techs to check tread wear.

We see snow maybe two or three times a year here. When that happens everyone just says home, myself included. This also won't be my only vehicle so there's that too.

If it has the 19" wheels, the tires on it are probably all-seasons, and should be okay in the cold and or snow. The 20" wheel/tires start to get slippery when the temperature drops below 45-degrees...they really are a summer tire. Remember, winter is cold as well as nastier weather. SO, it's a safety issue sort of like insurance...you don't care until you need it. The difference in stopping distance and grip on a curve isn't critical except when needed to keep you from hitting something...you never know when that may be useful!

Make sure the gas flap opens after you push the release button... you will need to push lightly on the flap to make it pop. If it does not, the pressure sensor will need replacing.... a common glitch, it happened to me.

JohnKelly said:
Make sure the gas flap opens after you push the release button... you will need to push lightly on the flap to make it pop. If it does not, the pressure sensor will need replacing.... a common glitch, it happened to me.

Nice tip. Thank you!

Change the 12 volt battery. When that dies the cars dies. I have pics of my 2015 rex on a tow truck if you want proof. My gas door went also. Along with the whole radio/AC panel, the back up camera, rear tires replaced at 14K. My leases ends 11-28, won't miss it.
Good luck, hope you got one built during mid week. Get all repair history.

Back