Went from leasing to owning

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt1

Returned my 15REX and purchased a 18BEV. Less than 200 out of our 25k miles on the 15 were on REX- I only filled it twice in 2.5 years, so the choice of BEV was easy. I averaged about 2 nails in the left rear tire per tank of gas :lol: I managed to jump in the last car of the departing $10k discount, it made purchasing at least as attractive as a lease. We know that we love the car and plan to keep it for a long time.
If someone is on the market for a used REX and encounter WBY1Z4C53FV503802 on a lot - ask me anything about this car.

Cool nice story enjoy the new model. Any details you notice that are different? I think the new traffic cruise is much better on the newer models than older for one.

Thanks!
The new Navi/ iDrive feels more modern, although I'm yet to get a good experience with the features. The LED headlights look the same, but have integrated high beams, their output is far superior to the old ones. They headlights are auto leveling, I can see the low beam cut off moving up and down. Never noticed it on the old car. I went from Tera to Giga, the light interior looks classier. I didn't know that they changed the grey Giga fabric to the patterned one, it looks nice. The ACC may be better. It didn't shut off even once this morning. Will see how it fairs in less favorable weather conditions. I went to 19" wheels from 20". The ride feels softer and quieter, but I realize that it may be subjective and partially contributed to the absence of rattles. The included L1 EVSE is rated 10Amps. IIRC the old one was 12Amps.
Otherwise, the cars are the same.

Giga world is my favorite world too. I've noticed the high-beams going up and down on my '14 before.
What's the biggest change from your perspective with the new iDrive system? I've fantasized about retrofitting it into my car. Besides CarPlay, are there any new 'killer features'?

The low beams on 14-16 go up when turned on. I didn't notice any movement while driving. On 18 they seem to compensate for the nose lift while accelerating and dive while braking. I might be wrong, need to drive more to make sure.
The most prominent difference in the iDrive is the main menu. Instead of the text, it is now a dashboard with several widgets. You may see media info, map and a weather forecast at the same time. The voice search in the Navi is server based (like Alexa or Siri) and worked well on the occasions I tried it. I can't really give a qualified opinion because I still have very little hand on time on the system and the car overall.

gt1 said:
I averaged about 2 nails in the left rear tire per tank of gas :lol:

That has to be the worst tire-puncture-per-tank-of-gasoline ratio of any vehicle ever. :p

Lots of construction along your normal route?! I've had one puncture in a bit over 4-years...here's hoping that's the last one. In about a mile, the pressure went from normal to about 20#s, but there's a tire place near my house, and I made it there, slowly, while it still had some air in it and it was repaired.

A shopping mall construction was finished about 2 years ago. Didn't seem to have much effect on the frequency of the punctures. Maybe I was particularly unlucky, but a lot of people complain about the unusual tire vulnerability. I hope it will get better with 19" wheels.

I can't argue this point, except that my experience was totally different and the number of punctures was ridiculous. Onve I had a slow leak. Since the tires were due for a replacement anyway, I didn't try to fix the leak and got new tires. About a week or two later the low pressure warning popped up again. I brought the car to a dealer and told them that I probably had a defective valve. Few minutes later the told me they found a nail! I even returned the car with yet another slow leak most likely caused by yet another nail.

Back