oscarricher

Any mods

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:52 am

Any mods people have done once brought their i3? Other than bimmerapp . Cheers

TheMK

Re: Any mods

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:43 am

Traffic jam assist retrofit. It allows the adaptive cruise control to also steer the car under certain circumstances- good lane markings, car in front of you to track, speed below 35MPH (unless you code to allow higher speeds). A somewhat limited form of self driving designed to alleviate stress from commuting.

jadnashuanh

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:33 pm

I transport my folding recumbent trike in the back, and over time, it ended up nicking the paint on the rear bumper cover. I picked up an OEM bumper cover (well, my sister did in England and shipped it to me) that fits like a glove, covers the top edge and outer edge and protects things well. Other than that, I bought the winter tire package since all-season tires are a compromise all seasons and I live up a steep driveway which can be tricky in the winter. I'm not sure why BMW doesn't seel it here, but they do elsewhere. I haven't felt the need to do anything else other than code it a bit.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

REvans2001

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:05 am

To TheMK, re: " Traffic jam assist retrofit. ". Can you give us links or tell names of any of the suppliers?

Also, I'm hoping to find a good after market tear view camera. Anyone have any good results with rear view cam?

Cheers

CharonPDX

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:29 am

Quidzel is the 'default' traffic jam assist retrofit: https://quidzel.com

You'll need to remove one screw to gain access to the back of the right-side steering wheel buttons, unplug one cable to plug the module in between the cable and the receptacle, then run coding on the car using E-sys and an ODB-to-Ethernet dongle to enable. (Can't be done with Bimmercode and a Bluetooth dongle, sadly.)

Note that the cable is very finicky - I had to unplug/replug my cable half a dozen times before it was recognized. But it hasn't needed adjusting since.

REvans2001

Re: TJam retrofit mods

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:55 am

Thank you TheMK, for the informative details. The link is great help. TJam looks closely related to ACC which is already installed on this vehicle. I will try to find out if this vehicle already has the lane assist.

alohart

Re: TJam retrofit mods

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 pm

REvans2001 wrote:TJam looks closely related to ACC which is already installed on this vehicle. I will try to find out if this vehicle already has the lane assist.

If it's a North American i3, lane assist isn't activated. Without a 3rd-party module, lane assist can't be activated because the standard BMW version requires a touch-sensitive steering wheel that's not installed on any North American i3.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

REvans2001

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Thank you Art. It is indeed a North American (USA) vehicle. Thank you for the info.

frictioncircle

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 am

If you're driving an i3 in a warm environment and your legislative environment allows, step one would be to tint as many windows as you can, as darkly as you can. Aircon is a major power draw for any EV and the i3 has high IR gain from its huge windshield.

In terms of driving, I haven't had the opportunity to wring out a 2018+ i3s so maybe BMW has solved things at the factory by now, but...

From the perspective of a 2014 owner interested in a more driver-oriented ride, changing to stiffer springs that also lower the ride height makes a big difference. An early production i3 has a lot of body roll so stiffer springs do help here.

In late 2014 the only company that made springs for the i3 was Cobra in The Netherlands:
https://www.cobra-suspension.com/

Now there are many companies that do so, including favorites like H&R.

If you have a good friend that lives outside the USA, here are two convenience items that are not available from a BMW NA dealer...

82 29 2 151 462 On-board toolkit
71 60 6 770 487 Safety triangle and case (includes clips to attach to the inside of the tailgate)

jadnashuanh

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Dark tint isn't necessarily the best tint. Some do a better job of blocking IR and UV because of their coatings versus just blocking the light. One thing that does happen to really dark tints is that they absorb a lot of that energy and then reradiate it...reflecting it is a better solution. Check out 3Ms crystalline tint series. It's the only one recognized by the American Cancer Society to stop UV...it does an equally good job with IR and its 200 layers of coatings on the film.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”