armozo

New 2015 Rex CPO Owner with a sad story - still developing.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi all,

Like many of you, I fell in love with the i3. On 12/29/18 I took the plunge and purchased the 2015 Rex with 18k miles CPO for $18k.
I felt like the price was fair giving the CPO. Now that is the good part of the story, please stick around to hear the predicament I find myself in.

When I took the car for the test drive I loved everything about it. It was getting dark so things looked good for the most part. I noticed the steering wheel to be what appeared to be a bit dirty at the 12 o'clock position. Ron, the sales guy assured me they would clean it up before I took possession.

There were a few scratches on the hood but I was ok with them, though while outside I noticed the tires to be quite worn. I asked what the limit was for them to pass the CPO process, I was informed 3mm. I insisted that the tires seem to have less than that and asked to double-check them. One of the employees went out to check with me and three out of the four wheels failed the legal limit and the employer informed the salesman and the sales manager. Both proceeded to say that the car had been in test drives and at the point of certification it indeed passed.

I did not want to waste time and asked them to make it right. The offered $200 off the price of the car. While I was thinking, something good came out of it because the sales manager offered to sell me his old Winter Package Wheel and tires for $400. That made tire condition issue better, so I agreed.

In my way home, I left at 7:30 pm with only 40% range and empty tank, I had to fill up and run on the Rex for the rest of my trip. Yes, they did not charge the car or offer to top off the tank. My trip back home was relatively short 90 miles, in a very cold climate and snow on the ground. The car at some point reported low tire pressure that I assumed was due to the temperature drop. Later I found out otherwise.

Overall I was impressed with the car. I traded in a full size 2011 Range Rover and it felt like I did not skip at all in ride quality and luxury.

The next day in daylight I decided to inspect the car a bit in my garage. I found several things wrong that were not disclosed during the sale process:

1. Driver's seat bottom cover has what looks to be a defect or failure/tare of sorts.
2. The steering wheel was not dirty, the leather is worn away by some object, it does not appear to be normal wear.
3. Two right side rims are bent in the inside, causing the slow air leak.

As you can imagine I was livid. I send out an email to the sales manager and also to Lithia Group Costumer service, politely describing the issues I found and how they were not disclosed during the sales process. I would have noticed them myself but it was too dark to do so.
The salesman for some reason went silent on my text to him with the pics. I also contacted the service department.

Today I got a call back from the sales guy asking that they inspect the rims, as to make sure I did not cause the issue. I told him that he was suggesting I bent them in my one hour of ownership and if that made sense?!
Lastly, the service department called to say the same thing but also add that the seat and the steering wheel were just fine, worn by the previous owner. I asked the advisor if they practice selling CPO vehicles that have torn seats and hide the issues.

During this whole ordeal, the only reasonable person I have talked to was the Parts Manager. I ran into him when I was inquiring about the winter wheels package. He was shaking his head overhearing Ron the salesman convince me that the tire with less than 3mm of tread were fine.

I am sure you all wonder what dealership I am dealing with. I would like to tell you but I will give them a couple of more days to make things right. I was hoping to drive back tomorrow but we have a winter weather advisory in effect that might make it hard for me to do so.

Thank you for reading through this long post. I would love any advice you might have in the matter and will post back soon.

i3Houston

Re: New 2015 Rex CPO Owner with a sad story - still developing.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Not surprising to me at all! Believe me most people have been scammed like this, more than once!

Bottom line is, this is how dealership makes living but unfortunately in commission driven business model, good faith is quite rare.

ps. Try getting in touch with BMW directly.
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

armozo

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Hi i3Houston, I followed your advice and got ahold of BMW. The customer service gentleman, Ryan, insisted to escalate this case immediately. I will see what will happen. We are awaiting a snow storm here and I am afraid I won't be able to drive 90 plus miles to the dealership. Maybe Friday. Thank you.

MKH

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:21 am

Also, check the fine print in your sales contract. Some States mandate a "cold-feet" clause in the contracts that allow you to back-out within a set time period with little or no financial loss.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 20 inch wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

PBNB

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:58 am

We bought our 2015 Rex from a Honda dealership who had imported from California. It was not a CPO but we did all of our research to go over the car.

One thing we did notice with ours was the tires (20" option) were that they looked bald at 12,500 miles?? The dealership had apparently swapped the wheels/tires onto a different i3. I got them to replace them all with brand new as part of the deal.

Giving you an empty tank and a low charge is pretty sad. Especially if you told them that you had a 90 mile drive ahead of you.

It is unfortunate that your interior is messed up as that seemed to be the best part of ours.

Keep us posted on the outcome of this.
2015 i3 REX

nickp

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hope they take care of you but I believe in buying pre-owned, we owners have to be very diligent.

I bought my car, a 2015 I3 Rex CPO with 28K miles for $17.6K and it had almost no wear and tear. The dealership said since this was a CPO, they had the car undergo a million point inspection and it showed. Also, the dealer said they had put brand new tires per their policy and it made me a happy customer.

I guess some dealerships are above others for that reason!

alohart

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:36 pm

nickp wrote:The dealership said since this was a CPO, they had the car undergo a million point inspection and it showed.

Hmm, why am I skeptical about a "million point inspection"? How would that even be done in a reasonable amount of time? Which "million points" would need to be inspected?
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

MKH

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:29 am

why am I skeptical about a "million point inspection"? How would that even be done in a reasonable amount of time?

Color me skeptical too. If a mechanic inspected one "point" a minute, working 12 hour days, 5 days a week, it would take him just over four months to complete the "million point inspection". And the Dealersip would have paid the mechanic $24,000 for his time. :roll:

What is actually supposed to happen:
https://cpo.bmwusa.com/certification/

Likely a checklist of 15 - 20 items that takes an hour or less to complete, plus whatever “fix deficiencies “ time.
Sounds like “sad owner’s” i3 should not have passed CPO standards and not been advertised and sold as Certfied at all.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 20 inch wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

nickp

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:37 am

alohart wrote:
nickp wrote:The dealership said since this was a CPO, they had the car undergo a million point inspection and it showed.

Hmm, why am I skeptical about a "million point inspection"? How would that even be done in a reasonable amount of time? Which "million points" would need to be inspected?

LOL! A CPO goes through a multi point inspection. Obviously I was putting emphasis on how much this car was inspected by the dealer by exaggerating the dealer's claim. Obviously there aren't million points in a car to inspect. :)
Point is the car was inspected in and out and was completely detailed and had brand new tires when I took delivery. That's the point. My wife couldn't believe this was a pre-owned car.

armozo

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Here is an update.
At this point, I drove to the dealership. They offered to repair the rims and get an interior guy to work on the upholstery issues.
Needless to say, I do not like that resolution. I asked them if BMW would stand behind the rim fix, they did not respond with a clear yes.
I left the rims with them and asked that they schedule the upholstery guy. I think I will drive there next Thursday and see how things go.

On another note, I received a call from BMW of America case manager. I told him in detail what had transpired during the sale and after. He said that unfortunately, they have to attempt repairs on the items of concern. If they fail they will have to find another solution.
Regardless he said that he would present my case to the regional management and stress a different solution.

To be fair to BMW of America they have been very sympathetic to me and keep airing on the side of doing the right thing.
BMW of Spokane on the other side, yes I had to name them now, has chosen to not go the extra mile and remedy this situation.

That is all for now. Learn from my experience and I hope this is solved soon.

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”