Leasi3

Re: Crash Photos & Video - 2014 i3 REX vs Oldsmobile Alero

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:02 pm

UPDATE

It took 40 days and 40 nights and I now have my i3 REX back. Work looks great to me and the car drove well for the 10 miles it took me to get back to work.

Final bill (still being negotiated between body shop, BMW dealer & insurance) will wind up just a bit over $10,000, not including towing and my rental car.

Second Update.

The other i3, the one behind mine in the pictures above -- It was a total loss. There was some damage to the carbon fiber box in the foot well area and I was told that it was uneconomical to repair.
2011 X5 35d (retired)
2011 Z4 35iS (retired, one yellow, one white)
2014 i3 REX

imolazhp

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:10 am

Glad you are ok and now have your car back. All of these high repair bills (and i3's being totaled), everyone be ready for the hikes in insurance costs.

websterize wrote:
Leasi3 wrote:My i3 went inoperable due to the emergency battery disconnect firing.

First I've heard of this ... sounds like a fail-safe to prevent electrocution by the HV battery. Good to know. Thanks for the report, and speedy recovery.
By the look of the crumpled Alero, I'm shocked your i3's glass tailgate didn't shatter. In fact, your car appears relatively unscathed in the photo. If it has the rear-view camera in the bumper, was it damaged?

My e46 has this too, on the 12v, I'm not sure what year BMW started this, but I am sure it has saved some lives.

electrons

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:44 am

Leasi3 wrote:UPDATE Work looks great to me and the car drove well for the 10 miles it took me to get back to work. .......................(other car:) There was some damage to the carbon fiber box in the foot well area and I was told that it was uneconomical to repair.

The entire subject of repairing these things is interesting.

Composites repair comment about airplane structures: "Airbus personnel explain that a hand-layed, wet layup patch that is cured on the repaired surface is neither appropriate nor currently approved and certified for aircraft primary structures."-- http://www.compositesworld.com/articles ... tes-repair

I'm just learning about how to repair major structures. (And trying not to think about what hard jolts do to battery cells....).
You can see how the long carbon fibers are woven together and embedded in resin, creating a problem.

I have to recommend that one always lease a carbon composite structure car, since resale value plummets after accidents. Its of course true for any metal car, yet this composites thing has exceeded the ability of car repair shops to fix it right.

From what I've gathered, many times an overlapping doubler patch is applied. Though I doubt BMW would do what Lamborghini does: "However, if Lamborghini determined the damage was to a critical chassis component, it would send one of its specially trained technicians, who understands both carbon composites and the vehicle’s engineering, to fix the car. The automaker calls this elite group its “flying doctors” — there are currently only four of them, worldwide — and says they are on call 24/7/365 to travel to any location where an Aventador’s composite structure has been damaged." http://www.compositesworld.com/articles ... tes-repair

jadnashuanh

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:34 am

The chassis on the i3 is designed to be repaired unless the damage extends too far. The front and rear projections of the chassis can be cut at precise points, and the appropriate new section can be installed to replace it. Depending on how far back the damage is, each of the available repair sections is slightly longer.

FWIW, BMW has used the explosive battery disconnect for a long time...the goal is to prevent sparks from igniting things. There are actually two outlets on the battery, and the emergency lights and phone connection are still powered.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Leasi3

Wed May 04, 2016 3:21 pm

That's all fine and good in theory, but back here in the real world any motor vehicle crash that damages the carbon fiber cell ( to the point that one of those large replacement panels needs to be cut down and glued in ) will lead to a total loss (for insurance purposes) of any i3 currently on the road.

This came to me directly from the BMW trained/certified body shop that fixed up my i3 after that Alero hit me.

Go back and look at the picture of the i3 next to mine at the body shop. When it came in I was told that the front bumper was still there, it was taken off as part of the tear down. That i3 was a total loss because the carbon fiber cell got damaged in a small area.
2011 X5 35d (retired)
2011 Z4 35iS (retired, one yellow, one white)
2014 i3 REX

Return to “Pictures, Videos of the BMW i3”