Pictures of my new i3 and my first mod

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinosM

The mod on the rims is call Wheel Bands and it protects the rims from curb damage.

Next mods:
1. Coding
2. Window Tint
3. Headlights blue tint

More pics after I am done with those.

I aplogise (apologize?) for being so pedantic, but the word CURB means restrict or restrain, and KERB means the hard edge of the pavement (sidewalk). Or is it different across the pond?
So Dinos could've said, punning madly, that his modification curbs kerb rash! :D

Additional pedantry alert: unless you got the slides in the projector backward, I think they put your wheels back on the wrong sides -- I have the same wheels (and shamu color scheme) and my spokes are cutting aggressively forward like tomahawk chops as I drive (and this is how they came from the factory) while yours are now passively paddling backward, if that imagery makes sense.

Yes its a ring with an insert, depending on the curb damage it may be able to cover it.
Here is the link: http://wheelbands.com/, and here is a youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelBands

In regards to the direction of the wheels, this is how they came from the factory.

Interesting. My (printed) UK brochure shows them on the same way as on my car. The online "make me a car" web site has them the other way round. I think we can only conclude that either it doesn't matter, or that it does and BMW doesn't know.

Mine look like the picture posted above but from the other side of the car the wheels face the other way. The wheels aren't right and left handed; they're all the same so one side goes one way and the other side the other way.

Hi guys,
you're all correct. BMW seems to have changed rim policy: since a while the wheels are the same on both sides. Earlier cars (before march '15 or about) had different left and right ones.
Regards, Steven

BMW PressGroup photos from the July 2013 product launch:

P90128955_lowRes_bmw-i3-07-2013.jpg

P90129198_lowRes_bmw-i3-07-2013.jpg

Mine is a June 15 car and wheels point different ways on each side of the car. Anyone post a picture of a different arrangement?

barrychan said:
I think what matters is the directional of the tires.
The tires have an inside and outside surface, but they're not directional (i.e., they have no rotation direction arrows on their sidewalls so can be mounted so they rotate in either direction even though the tread looks a bit directional to me).

janner said:
Mine is a June 15 car and wheels point different ways on each side of the car. Anyone post a picture of a different arrangement?
The photos in this post show that unique left and right wheels except 427 wheels (Mega World wheels in North America) were mounted on 2014 and apparently early 2015 i3's. Starting sometime in 2015, BMW started installing only right side wheels on both sides which I think doesn't look very good. This has been discussed previously.

5UfmiDDe

Above, note the wheel direction of these 2016 i3s (in Fluid Black)

X8rjO0oh

And some lucky driver got the 2016 turbine option. Talk about green driving.

Photos copyright BMW. Shot by Christoph Busse, who has some enviable access inside BMW Werk Leipzig.

alohart said:
janner said:
The photos in this post show that unique left and right wheels except 427 wheels (Mega World wheels in North America) were mounted on 2014 and apparently early 2015 i3's. Starting sometime in 2015, BMW started installing only right side wheels on both sides which I think doesn't look very good. This has been discussed previously.

I have an early 2015 with proper left and right side directional 429's... glad I did, directional wheels have always annoyed me for not going in the same direction on each side of the car!

Back