Bmw E1 1991 First electric car that bmw produced!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depechemode

bmw-e1.jpg

The E1 was first shown off at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1991.

the-e1-was-first-shown-off-at-the-frankfurt-auto-show-in-1991.jpg

It was extremely lightweight for the time. It had an aluminum shell and used plastic body pieces to keep the weight down.

it-was-extremely-lightweight-for-the-time-it-had-an-aluminum-shell-and-used-plastic-body-pieces-to-keep-the-weight-down.jpg

It used a sodium-nickel chloride battery, not the lithium-ion type that's used in Teslas today.
It took only a few hours to fully charge an E1 and it was capable of driving over 150 miles. That's right on par with a lot of the electric cars that are on sale today.

it-took-only-a-few-hours-to-fully-charge-an-e1-and-it-was-capable-of-driving-over-150-miles-thats-right-on-par-with-a-lot-of-the-electric-cars-that-are-on-sale-today.jpg

and-yes-there-were-other-colors-than-just-green.jpg

The E1 caught a bad rep after a prototype caught fire while charging. Both the car and part of a building it was near were severely damaged.

the-e1-caught-a-bad-rep-after-a-prototype-caught-fire-while-charging-both-the-car-and-part-of-a-building-it-was-near-were-severely-damaged.jpg

The interior looked pretty standard, if you can get past all the green.

the-interior-looked-pretty-standard-if-you-can-get-past-all-the-green.jpg

because-of-financial-reasons-the-e1-never-truly-saw-the-light-of-day.jpg

Source : http://www.techinsider.io/

im a bit confused so if bmw made a battery powered car in 1991 with 150 mile range why 25 years later do they have a car that will only do 75 miles on a charge thats not progress...

That wasn't the first electric car that BMW produced. The BMW 1602e in 1972 was:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/orange-juiced-bmws-first-ev-paved-the-way-for-the-i8-amid-an-olympic-tragedy/

1972-BMW-1602e-101-876x535.jpg

Not the first EV for BMW and it did not make it to production, it is my understanding that it almost made it until the one caught fire. I do see some of its styling in the i3 and it is a little interesting that their names are nearly mirror images of each other.

E1 - I3 (i3)

Back