Make the sun visor extenable

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkN

The sun visor is not long enough to reach to the back of the side window when rotated to the side. This provides inadequate sun shade for tall drivers heading south in the morning or north in the evening. Add an extension to the visor or let the visor slide back on a rod.

Definitely agree with you here as most non sliding visors are about useless when the sun is blasting through the side window.

I can forgive the lack of electric memory seats due to the weight and space penalties, but it is hard for me to forgive BMW for this chintzy non-sliding sun visor. It was a big negative on my evaluation of the i3. (Of course the many big positives won out!)

I know this thread is kind of old, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one bothered by this. Such a simple feature that has no reason to not be there.

Surook said:
I know this thread is kind of old, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one bothered by this. Such a simple feature that has no reason to not be there.
Obviously, BMW had a very good reason to not include sliding sun visors. They could not include sliding sun visors on the i3 because they were unable to obtain adequate quantities of sustainable eco-friendly green sun visor slider bearings in i-blue. Sheesh.

Now don't you feel silly to think it's your right to shade your eyes from bright sunlight while driving trumps BMW's wisdom?

:mrgreen:

I hadn't noticed this thread earlier in the year but now that I have I'm curious.

Firstly, I can't remember the last time I found it necessary to turn a visor to the side to deal with glare, if the sun is that far off to the side it just isn't a problem for me. Now, I know we don't get as much sun here but that can't be the reason for this, as being further North than sunnier parts of the US, we get more low sun. What's more, we aren't seeing any complaints about this from those in Norway and Sweden who must suffer from low sun even more.

Secondly, if you are a taller driver and have swung a full width visor round to the side, how do you see oncoming traffic from the driver's side at a T junction?

RJSATLBA said:
Now, I know we don't get as much sun here but that can't be the reason for this, as being further North than sunnier parts of the US, we get more low sun. What's more, we aren't seeing any complaints about this from those in Norway and Sweden who must suffer from low sun even more.

Secondly, if you are a taller driver and have swung a full width visor round to the side, how do you see oncoming traffic from the driver's side at a T junction?
It is not the very low sun that is the problem. It is the mid afternoon sun coming in the side window that can't be blocked because the visor does not extend back far enough. Obviously, a side visor is needed and does not block side traffic that is much lower than the sun, or cars would not have side visors at all. I believe all other BMW models (in the US) have the sliding visors, except the i3. If you sit back far enough, as would be expected for anyone with long legs, then there is a huge gap in the driver's window that is well above the traffic sight lines, but not coverable with the sunshade. I am fairly short at 5'7", and still have this problem. My wife, at 5'4" also has the problem, but only slightly with very little forward sun not being blocked.

The i3 is not the only "premium" car with this problem, as it is also a problem with the Audi TT (the only Audi model) and the Lexus CTh (only Lexus) are the two others I know of.

Low sun is weak sun as far as heat goes and the problem with non-extendable sun visors is the heating of your body not the glare in your eyes. When it is 42/107 outside like yesterday you need all the help you can get!

I heard the reason BMW does not have extendable BMW driver and passenger sun visors is because BMW did not want to pay for the patent to use the extendable sun visor in its vehicles. I do not think BMW respects the full value of an extendable front driver and passenger sun visor:
1) it protects driver and passengers' eyes from over exposure to the sun which leads to cataracts, glaucoma, wrinkles at the eyes and sun spots on the side of the face near the eyes. It is a health presentation issue.
2) It is a huge safety issue not to have sliding sun visors as the glare and direct sun from that side and front side area harms the driver's ability to see traffic for BMW owners and their passenger's and safety hazards on the road while squinting.
3) It makes BMW look cheap and undistinguished when we BMW drivers have to put up maps, newspapers, magazines, newsletters, and towels hanging from their BMW visors on the side to blow the sun from medical damage to our eye retinas and eye corneas. BMW drivers and passengers have the Hyndia, Toyota and Nissan car owners make fun of them for buying a $50K and over BMW that they have to put a miscellaneous item over the visor to protect their eyes from the sun. It is embarrassing for BMW to be mocked this way.
4) Just because BMW did not want to pay for someone else's smart invention of an extended mirrored driver and passenger side sun visor means other buy Mercedes and Audi's it is THAT important and an everyday hazard and health issue to the eyes for all drivers that travel south in the morning and north in the pm across the world. That is multiple millions of drivers in CA alone if they all owned BMW's. As it is, CA has tens of thousands of BMW owners who eventually go to Mercedes when they are older due to Mercedes respect for our eyes with simple extendable mirrored sun visors.
5) Many of my family and friends, and BMW sales dealerships, have expressed BMW's need and ignorance on the importance of this simple solution of an extendable mirrored sun visor. Too bad, BMW officials disregard and disrespect the suggestions, needs, health, obvious simple solution its fans recommend to BMW. It is time BMW spend the money to protect our eye sight or continue to be laughed at by owners of $20K cars with a company behind it that respects its drivers' and passenger's and medical experts' advise about side sun visors.

Please, BMW just pay for the patent rights so we can protect our eyesight and not have to use towels, paper to put on our BMW dysfunctional sun visors that are our only option. Please BMW. You have lost customers and continue to over this minor item eyesight health is that important. You will more than make up for the patent cost with sales and respect. It is not rock science. Do it for your devoted customers too, please. Thank you kindly BMW ahead of time.

JPCruising said:
Definitely agree with you here as most non sliding visors are about useless when the sun is blasting through the side window.

+1. It's ridiculous BMW didn't include a sliding visor. Big nuisance for me mornings and evenings. Boo!

Mags131 said:
I heard the reason BMW does not have extendable BMW driver and passenger sun visors is because BMW did not want to pay for the patent to use the extendable sun visor in its vehicles. I do not think BMW respects the full value of an extendable front driver and passenger sun visor:
1) it protects driver and passengers' eyes from over exposure to the sun which leads to cataracts, glaucoma, wrinkles at the eyes and sun spots on the side of the face near the eyes. It is a health presentation issue.
2) It is a huge safety issue not to have sliding sun visors as the glare and direct sun from that side and front side area harms the driver's ability to see traffic for BMW owners and their passenger's and safety hazards on the road while squinting.
3) It makes BMW look cheap and undistinguished when we BMW drivers have to put up maps, newspapers, magazines, newsletters, and towels hanging from their BMW visors on the side to blow the sun from medical damage to our eye retinas and eye corneas. BMW drivers and passengers have the Hyndia, Toyota and Nissan car owners make fun of them for buying a $50K and over BMW that they have to put a miscellaneous item over the visor to protect their eyes from the sun. It is embarrassing for BMW to be mocked this way.
4) Just because BMW did not want to pay for someone else's smart invention of an extended mirrored driver and passenger side sun visor means other buy Mercedes and Audi's it is THAT important and an everyday hazard and health issue to the eyes for all drivers that travel south in the morning and north in the pm across the world. That is multiple millions of drivers in CA alone if they all owned BMW's. As it is, CA has tens of thousands of BMW owners who eventually go to Mercedes when they are older due to Mercedes respect for our eyes with simple extendable mirrored sun visors.
5) Many of my family and friends, and BMW sales dealerships, have expressed BMW's need and ignorance on the importance of this simple solution of an extendable mirrored sun visor. Too bad, BMW officials disregard and disrespect the suggestions, needs, health, obvious simple solution its fans recommend to BMW. It is time BMW spend the money to protect our eye sight or continue to be laughed at by owners of $20K cars with a company behind it that respects its drivers' and passenger's and medical experts' advise about side sun visors.

Please, BMW just pay for the patent rights so we can protect our eyesight and not have to use towels, paper to put on our BMW dysfunctional sun visors that are our only option. Please BMW. You have lost customers and continue to over this minor item eyesight health is that important. You will more than make up for the patent cost with sales and respect. It is not rock science. Do it for your devoted customers too, please. Thank you kindly BMW ahead of time.
Or just wear some sunglasses.

I live in Colorado and commute south in the morning and north in the afternoon. I have glare issues both ways on my commute. I ended up buying a $4 plastic binder at Office Max and cutting out a 4.5" x 11" piece off the back of the binder and then attached it to the visor with two velcro straps - extends perfectly to cover the top portion of the window for a total of about $9. I use it almost every day. I posted a photo of the solution on the bmw i3 facebook page - hope that helps until BMW actually includes the right solution!

Has anyone thought about or have experience putting the extendable sun visor from other BMW models onto i3?

I asked my dealer’s part department if its possible, not sure if the mounting was the same, looks like the number of screws might be different.

More to come as I experiment.

I echo the comments here, so much for the “Ultimate Driving Machine...so long as the sun doesn’t blind you from the side.”

Manualrain said:
I understand that many people love this feature, but I believe BMW has a reason for not including this.

Somehow "BMW has a reason" rings about as insightful as "God works in mysterious ways."

Back