jadnashuanh

Brake light indication in the car

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:59 pm

One of my long-term bugaboos is people that use two feet on the pedals and ride the brakes. It's not good for them, and it makes trying to figure out what they're intending to do really difficult. I know commercial vehicles (at least some of them) have a dash light indication when the brakes are applied...I think that this would be good for many people in many vehicles, but also useful on our EV to know when the computer is turning it on. It should also start to drive people that ride the brakes to purge that habit from their psyche. It doesn't need to be a huge, bright thing, but an indication that something is going on like the high beam indication. IMHO, it doesn't have to be distracting if implemented well, but would be informative.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Seasidenj

Re: Brake light indication in the car

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Totally agree with that idea!

CharonPDX

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:54 pm

One problem with that in the i3 is that just letting up on the accelerator pedal causes the brake light to come on. That light would come on all the stinkin' time.

jadnashuanh

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:56 pm

CharonPDX wrote:One problem with that in the i3 is that just letting up on the accelerator pedal causes the brake light to come on. That light would come on all the stinkin' time.

I don't see that as a problem. I think it would be useful to see when the car actually turns the brake lights on.
Jim DeBruycker

CanisLupus

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:38 am

With electric cars , can they be engineered such that : if the brake pedal is depressed then no propulsion can be applied from the motor . Are our i3 s already engineered that way ? The motor can't be a motor and a generator simultaneously but depressed far enough , the friction brakes would still function . We can test what our cars will do .

rtanov

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:19 am

The brake lights during regenerative braking come on when the charge indicator reaches around the letter "C" in "Charge" - you can use that as an indicator, and you can see it in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJPf7Lv8Sw&
This was an early 2014 model, not sure if much has changed since.

BTW, the Tesla Model 3 has a picture of the car on the dash - whenever the brake lights come on the picture also flashes its brake lights.
2014 BMW i3 REx
2014 BMW i3 BEV - retired

jadnashuanh

Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:59 pm

My desire for this 'feature' to become common is twofold:
- on something like the i3 with significant regen, it would be nice to know when the car turned the brake lights on
- for those that tend to drive 2-footed, they often end up activating the brake lights even when they aren't aware of it which causes excessive brake wear and really confounds anyone who is following about what they are trying to do.

So, some indication they are on, similar to the headlight and high beam indication, seems like a good idea to me.
Jim DeBruycker

MKH

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:59 am

I'm with Jim, some sort of indicator light that lets you know when the brake lights are being activated is needed. I like the Tesla idea of the visual car, which lets you know the status of any lights, or could be as simple as having the charge indicator light/square that slides back and forth on the charge/use gauge turn red when the brake lights are activated.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 20 inch wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

TheMK

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:10 am

There is a light in the KOMBI that says "BRAKE"- It's red however and supposed to be an error light. If it were multicolored like some of the other KOMBI lights, it could be green/yellow/orange for tapping on the brakes, and then red for the error condition it currently serves.

Return to “Suggestions for BMW”