Diffuser Detail

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yiiikes

I absolutely love everything about our i3, love it. The range, the performance, the interior all good.

The one thing I felt like BMW left me hanging on was the blue accent detail on the rear of the car like the concept i3 and concept and production i8 have so I did this. For me it makes some sense out of the lines that are kinda jumbled on the rear panels.

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

I was thinking the same thing the other day - the blue detail made the rear of the concept look much better than the production car.

How did you apply it?

The local vinyl wrap guy found A 3M vinyl that is dead on to the BMW accent blue, satin and metallic, perfect. He is Jeff at Wraps1 here in Huntington Beach, I am sure he would give you the part number.

Wraps1
16321 Gothard St, Huntington Beach, CA 92647
(949) 284-0804

Oh that does look good! If anyone finds the 3m vinyl reference can it be posted here please... might make an attempt to emulate here in the UK.. :)

Merax said:
Thanks. BTW, your car is almost exactly what I have on order. Looks great!

When do you take delivery? You are going to love it. Originally we were going with Andesite Silver but my wife was leaning to Ionic Silver and I am so glad we went with it, it looks so, so good in person.

Yiiikes said:
When do you take delivery? You are going to love it. Originally we were going with Andesite Silver but my wife was leaning to Ionic Silver and I am so glad we went with it, it looks so, so good in person.

They weren't exactly sure about the delivery date. The build date is the first week of August and the dealer said it would take about two months to arrive. It will be a mega world ionic silver BEV with all the options.

Clever license plate too :cool: What's the process for getting a custom plate on a new car?

I believe this is it....

http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-1080-Scotchprint-Matte-Metallic-Blue-Vinyl-p/matte1080m227.htm

also on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-1080-M227-Scotchprint-MATTE-BLUE-METALLIC-Vinyl-Car-HOOD-Wrap-Film-5ft-x-4ft-/380458113445

Another good site, 3M itself (which has the blue that matches):

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/3M_Graphics/car-wrapping-and-protection/car-wrapping/colour-swatches/

FAQ:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/3M_Graphics/car-wrapping-and-protection/resources/faq/?#car-wrapping

VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgFlEKwNeOQ

I think it looks great on your car and definitely want it myself on mine. Can you see if they used two pieces or one continuous piece or even more than 2 pieces? Thanks

Merax said:
Yiiikes said:

They weren't exactly sure about the delivery date. The build date is the first week of August and the dealer said it would take about two months to arrive. It will be a mega world ionic silver BEV with all the options.

Clever license plate too :cool: What's the process for getting a custom plate on a new car?

Nice that you picked up on the plate, my wife felt like few people would - she is probably correct. It is challenging in CA to get a good plate, so many cars, especially so many electric ones.

The process is straight forward, online here
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ipp2/initPers.do

Lead time is 10-12 weeks and you can order before you take delivery, you don't need a VIN or anything, order now. You can try out your idea online and view the plate before you order, I screenshot all of the combos we thought of before we ordered, the ones with the red X were already taken

License_Plates.jpg

CompuMagic said:
I think it looks great on your car and definitely want it myself on mine. Can you see if they used two pieces or one continuous piece or even more than 2 pieces? Thanks

Good question - 1 piece. Jeff spent quite a bit of time working out how to do it in 1 piece. Of course that meant material cost was a bit higher to get a sheet large enough.

Yiiikes said:
Nice that you picked up on the plate, my wife felt like few people would - she is probably correct. It is challenging in CA to get a good plate, so many cars, especially so many electric ones.

She's probably right. I have a degree in physics so I got it right away :)

I saw that you can order one online without having a car and after a few tries got one I kinda like that's not taken. How does it get associated with the car and VIN? Does the dealer do that instead of sending in the normal application for the plates?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Yeah, very good question. I tried to have the plate associated with the car right from the dealer because I had it in my possession before I took delivery - they insisted that it is not possible, I still believe it is, ask your dealer, they may be more enthusiastic about the idea.

I had to wait until our metal plates were delivered in the mail and take them and the personalized plates to the DMV to have the personalized ones associated.

My degree is in physics also, guess only physics majors will get it and that is okay with me.

Yiiikes said:
My degree is in physics also, guess only physics majors will get it and that is okay with me.
I got it right away, and I have no physics degree. However, my electrical engineering degrees might have helped a bit. ;)

i3Alan said:
I got it right away, and I have no physics degree. However, my electrical engineering degrees might have helped a bit. ;)

Yeah, it's simple enough that even the engineers can understand it ;)

Maybe I could get one of Maxwell's equations or the Lorentz force law on there! Unfortunately MAXWELL is taken.

Your thread Darren, sorry for hijacking it. ;) Go for it.

I don't often comment but the blue accent detail you've done does look good. In fact I just googled how to get some here in the uk.
Might take a while for me to get around to it though.

Cheers
Mark

Back