Eperigny

iRemote app improvements

Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:49 pm

I just posted a topic about the annoying double password requirement to access the iRemote app but I thought I would rather start a list of improvements that could be made to the app so here I my list of wishes

1-make password optional
2-show charging info (voltage, amperage, batt temp etc.)
3-show when car is preconditioning and allow to stop if we change our mind
4-allow windows closing in case rain is coming (at ultra slow speed)
5-show cockpit temperature
6-stop/start charging
7-allow to search for a destination and send to vehicule
8-make iPad version

Anything to add?
Eric P

2014 BMW i3 BEV Terra World 20inch wheels - Leviton EVrGreen 400 40amp charger
recent history:
2011 M3 e92
2009 335xi
2005 Porsche Boxster

WoodlandHills

Re: iRemote app improvements

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:50 pm

I have iRemote on my iPad.
As long as my car can be stalked through the app, I would like it to be password protected.
Clipper Creek HCS-40P 32a EVSE
2014 REx Arravani Grey Giga all options
2008 Infiniti EX35
2008 smart ForTwo Cabriolet
2000 F-250 Powerstroke
2006 Westfield eleven
1984 Laverda RGS-1000

Eperigny

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:17 pm

I would like to add one thing:

Preconditioning should allow for two options:

1-precondition based on timer only if plugged in (yes/no)
2-precondition only if battery is over xx%SOC
Eric P

2014 BMW i3 BEV Terra World 20inch wheels - Leviton EVrGreen 400 40amp charger
recent history:
2011 M3 e92
2009 335xi
2005 Porsche Boxster

Buskraut

Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:39 am

The preconditioning option applies to all charge times. I would like to be able to precondition during the week (when I leave at the same time every day), and not precondition on the weekend (when I would like the car charged, but have no idea when I will leave).

AFAIK, you can't do this now with iRemote.
2014 i3 BEV, Andesite Giga with all options except 20" wheels

jadnashuanh

Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:05 am

Buskraut wrote:The preconditioning option applies to all charge times. I would like to be able to precondition during the week (when I leave at the same time every day), and not precondition on the weekend (when I would like the car charged, but have no idea when I will leave).

You have three precondition entries, and each one of them can be selected to apply on one or more days. So, if I understand your post, the car CAN do what you want now. It's not as easy to do, since they use icons rather than words for getting into some of the functions, but it can be done, on both the app and at the car. Once you figure it out, it's then quite easy. So, you could use one entry to precondition before you leave in the morning, a second entry to precondition before you leave to come home, and the third one is optional for whatever. You can always tell the car to precondition without going into the timers, and it starts immediately (assuming it can be reached by the server!).

I'm not sure the vehicle can tell you the exact incoming voltage...it can determine if it is around 120 or in the range of 240, and adjust the path into the power supply, but as to acting like a voltmeter, that function may not be there and would require additional hardware. I'm not sure what it uses to limit the power in so it doesn't overload the circuit on current. It might be able to determine the amps, but it could also be an analog computer type of circuit.

I'd like the app to have a help or tutorial on how to use all of its functions! Many of them are self-explanatory, but some are a bit obtuse.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Buskraut

Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:49 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:
Buskraut wrote:The preconditioning option applies to all charge times. I would like to be able to precondition during the week (when I leave at the same time every day), and not precondition on the weekend (when I would like the car charged, but have no idea when I will leave).

You have three precondition entries, and each one of them can be selected to apply on one or more days. So, if I understand your post, the car CAN do what you want now. It's not as easy to do, since they use icons rather than words for getting into some of the functions, but it can be done, on both the app and at the car. Once you figure it out, it's then quite easy. So, you could use one entry to precondition before you leave in the morning, a second entry to precondition before you leave to come home, and the third one is optional for whatever. You can always tell the car to precondition without going into the timers, and it starts immediately (assuming it can be reached by the server!).

Thanks for your comments. In iRemote I see three CHARGE event entries, but the PRECONDITION option is global for all charge events. When you turn preconditioning on/off you can see the little fan icon turn on/off on all charge events. (Touching the little icons in the individual charge event sections doesn't do anything... it just enables/disables the whole event)

BTW, I have this same gripe with the "low cost charging" setting (also a global setting). On my rate plan, the low cost charging hours are different on the weekend than weekdays.
2014 i3 BEV, Andesite Giga with all options except 20" wheels

websterize

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:38 am

Two ideas after a week in:
- Send a text notification if charging is interrupted unexpectedly (say if someone unplugs the i3 at a public station)
- Send a text notification if there is no charger plugged in by a definable time of day (because I forgot to plug it in at home)
2015 Tera BEV | Coding spreadsheet

jadnashuanh

Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:50 pm

FWIW, on the USA version of the i3, in the current software iteration, when the car is locked, you cannot remove the charging cable...it is locked into the car. I've heard that in the next s/w update, it will still lock in, but will unlock once it gets fully charged. This would allow someone to remove it and then charge their vehicle, but not until yours was fully charged. I do not know if that will be a user option, or a general condition. It could affect someone who wanted to precondition, expecting the vehicle to still be plugged in - forcing it to use battery capacity rather than the grid.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

alohart

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:12 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:It could affect someone who wanted to precondition, expecting the vehicle to still be plugged in - forcing it to use battery capacity rather than the grid.

Probably not the best public charging station etiquette to precondition after charging has completed. Maybe not the best public charging station etiquette to slow down charging by preconditioning thereby potentially delaying others who might need to charge to reach their destination.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

websterize

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:45 am

jadnashuanh wrote:FWIW, on the USA version of the i3, in the current software iteration, when the car is locked, you cannot remove the charging cable...it is locked into the car. …

Thanks, Jim. Didn't realize the charging gun was locked in if the car were locked.
2015 Tera BEV | Coding spreadsheet

Return to “Suggestions for BMW”