Wear surface along top of bumper

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d1willis

I often shuttle coworkers who are carrying roll-aboard luggage, and the top of the bumper gets gouged if they pull the suitcase out by the handle and it drops down onto the bumper then dragged across. I can't expect them to think to lift the suitcase out. It would be nice to have a tougher surface there. I know I can get an aftermarket stickon, but the other surfaces in the car are so nicely done that it would be great if this was standard.

Find a vender who installs clear bras on the front of cars to protect the paint. Have them put the same material on the surface of the bumper you are concerned about. It will take care of your problem. Then instruct your co-workers to go to weight-training to get into condition to be able lift their own luggage without damaging your vehicle. Or tell them to pack less so they can lift their own luggage. Or tell them to get a ride elsewhere if they don't quit tearing up your car. Just a few solutions for you to consider. Which ever solution you choose, have them pay for tearing your car up. Remember BMW did not design the car to withstand a co-worker demolition derby of your car.
Road Jager

At least it won't rust out from the paint damage! I've nicked mine when moving my folded recumbent trike in and out of the rear a few times, so can appreciate that more would be good. The clear protective material is a good idea.

For this exact reason I bought and use one of these:

http://www.rearguards.co.uk

I would highly recommend this, it looks like something BMW would have, and should have, included with the vehicle. Performs and fits perfectly. I would buy this again, and will buy it for any vehicle that doesn't have one.

That looks interesting...I sent them an e-mail asking what the shipping costs would be to the USA...if they answer, I'll post it here. FWIW, the shipping costs often end up less for multiple items verses singles. Might be willing to do a multiple order if others are interested. More after I get a response...might also get a better deal on quantity as well. Send me a PM after I get an idea on shipping costs...long packages tend to be expensive, even if they don't weigh much.

Unfortunately, these solutions are all fine but too late after you realise there is a problem. Never had this area on other cars chip so easily so didn’t anticipate a problem. Now it is too late as the marks are already there. Would have been far better if BMW could have used a surface treatment that adhered properly to the bumper surface.

jadnashuanh said:
That looks interesting...I sent them an e-mail asking what the shipping costs would be to the USA...if they answer, I'll post it here. FWIW, the shipping costs often end up less for multiple items verses singles. Might be willing to do a multiple order if others are interested. More after I get a response...might also get a better deal on quantity as well. Send me a PM after I get an idea on shipping costs...long packages tend to be expensive, even if they don't weigh much.

I did communicate with them via email for my order and shipment. I believe it was in the ballpark of $125 for the protector and shipping, well worth the 100% top bumper protection that it provides, in my opinion. I personally used it for my Doberman's jumps in and out of the hatch area until we bought an SUV.

MikeS said:
Unfortunately, these solutions are all fine but too late after you realise there is a problem. Never had this area on other cars chip so easily so didn’t anticipate a problem. Now it is too late as the marks are already there. Would have been far better if BMW could have used a surface treatment that adhered properly to the bumper surface.

I agree, but we are left to deal with BMW's mess-up and this is the best option available. It does slightly go over the corner edge of the bumper as well so it should cover almost any scratch and it uses the 3M "permanent" adhesive so it will prevent additional damage.

I would be happy to post photos if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Nick

I heard back from them and found that they can ship up to 6 units (to one address) for about the same price on shipping as for one, which would likely save a fair amount should enough people be interested (asked about quantity discounts, and they did not offer any). So, depending on where people live, reshipping once in the USA, there's the potential to save a fair amount (shipping/6) over a one-off purchase. If anyone is interested, send me a PM. I may have an out...I have a sister that lives in England and has access to the APO mail system, and the shipping should be much less...I may go that route...can't offer that to others, though.

There is a cheaper solution http://www.ebay.com/itm/35-Rear-Bumper-Guard-Protector-Trim-Cover-Scuff-Sill-Plate-Trunk-Twindoor-Pad-/322249962873?fits=Make%3ABMW%7CModel%3Ai3&hash=item4b07983579:g:LqEAAOSwdIFXx~qR&vxp=mtr
Definitely not as nice, but should work.

My sister picked one up for me and will either be bringing it home or shipping it. Seems that the black one, directly from the BMW dealer is cheaper than the manufacturer is charging for it. It may be awhile before I get it.

My sister, who is living in the UK at the moment, picked up the product from the local BMW dealer and mailed it to me via the APO system. I received it after returning from vacation over Christmas. The end cost was WAY less than the company wanted for both just buying it (BMW's price was almost 40% cheaper!), and the APO mail system (US government contractor) was MUCH less than the company wanted to ship (which was nearly as much as the item itself!). I've opened it, but not installed it yet. I'll wait for a warmer, dry day when I can properly clean things off and expect the adhesive to make a good bond.

Can anyone share a picture of it installed on the i3? And, when you do, please list the specific part/source you're photograph applies to (BMW, eBay, other vendor). Appreciate it very much!

The product I was referring to is in the eBay link above. Pictures of the product installed are also in that eBay link. While an i3 isn't depicted in the images, it's looks exactly the same, except the i3 bumper top is always black, not white. For $12, you're not going to lose much if you're not satisfied!

I purchased one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPA63O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
for my 2014 REx. It worked very well, and I just bought a new one for my replacement 2017 REx.

Jeffj said:
I purchased one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPA63O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
for my 2014 REx. It worked very well, and I just bought a new one for my replacement 2017 REx.

Do you have any picture that can share with us?

I haven't installed the new one yet, as its been well below freezing all week since I picked the new car up. I'll try to get a picture this weekend

Here are a couple of pictures
AF1QipOnCbu3XdULcLX_PrKLwwLz4FSPnf4q--fry7Z2

AF1QipOKKgYzJ6REIJ1ogZNniJtBpePg7HQNkBbHj2DZ

Back