How to display the remaining energy on the "tank"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norval

When you drive a regular car, you can tell when its time to put gasoline on it by the reserve light or warning given by the car, on the dash.
However, after one month of driving my 21017 i3, the need of charging everyday is gone, but still, would be nice if when you hit, lets say, the last quarter of the battery (about 55 km for my king of driving) that the would let you know in a better way that it is time to charge, either by changing the color of the remaining battery, or light up a warning light, just like any other regular gas car.

Logically this makes sense, I am sure this type of change will happen in time, just as we only adopted the low fuel warning light in more recent years.

But this does occur with the i3 - but not at 25% charge. In 18months and >30,000km of driving my i3 it has occurred only once and I think it was at about 10% charge remaining in the battery. AS I recall there was a warning shown on the screen and a prompt to find a charge station, as I was close to home I drove around the local streets quite a while just to see what else would occur and the SOC bars actually turned orange when it got down to about 5%. Don't quote me on the details of this because it was a while ago and it has only ever occur once ; the car almost never gets below 25% SOC because it meet our driving needs perfectly. No range anxiety. Oh, and no maintenance anxiety either as with an ICE.

Some people call warning lights 'idiot' lights, and IMHO, often for a reason...especially when there is a gauge you can watch. Many new cars today do not have things like an oil pressure gauge, and an warning light is your only indication of a problem, but that's not the case when you have both a big power bar and a numerical readout of percent battery left. Certainly, an argument could be made to pop up a message earlier on the i3's display, but with the graphic, the estimated range left, and the percent SOC all staring you in the face, I'm not sure it's that strong of an argument!

Lithiumman said:
But this does occur with the i3 - but not at 25% charge. In 18months and >30,000km of driving my i3 it has occurred only once and I think it was at about 10% charge remaining in the battery.
Our BEV warns us when the charge level drops below 15%.

Back