Why not make the Remote App available for WindowsPhone?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaerpai3

Since half a year I work with WindowsPhone 8 which appears to be the best smartphone seen so far. Remote App is available for iPhone and Android only, which would force me to switch smartphone again. With an avarage marketshare for WP in EU of approx 10%, and growing, how can it be that BMW is not even considering to make Remote App available for WP? How complicated can it be?

Windows basically had the smartphone market at their feet, but they muffed it up. The latest versions are looking better, but they have a long way to go to catch Android and IOS.

I expect it will eventually get to the point where BMW will have to support windows phone, but you can't blame them for dragging their feet.

I have a windows phone and am hoping that BMW creates an app for it. This brings up a question: Can all the features of the i3 be controlled equally from a web-browser and the app?

Developing for Windows Phone is pretty much the easiest of any platform (I'm a software developer) so that's not what's stopping them. Windows Phone has 12% market share in the UK and climbing fast. In comparison I believe the iPhone only has around 27-29% of the UK market - most would think it would be much more! I'm hoping that the web browser interface will work from a phone, if not I'll be using my Surface!

I'm sure it will eventually come, but BMW is probably focussed on getting the app onto the majority of devices in use first. Current sales are only part of the picture - when you look at smartphones in use rather than current new sales it's clear that even if it is successful in gaining market share over the longer term, WP will take some time before it is a significant factor in use:

mobishare.jpg

Those figures are massively skewed by the iPad - if I wanted to browse the web I'm a lot more likely to do it on my Surface than my Windows Phone...

jamie94bc said:
Those figures are massively skewed by the iPad - if I wanted to browse the web I'm a lot more likely to do it on my Surface than my Windows Phone...

Well, sure. Both can use the same app, both are in common use. If you wanted an app for your surface and your WP, couldn't you use the same app?

There are well over 2 times as many iphones out there than ipads:

ipodiphonecum.jpg

Gives a good idea of how hard it will be for WP to become significant even if they have run-away sales.

The news just reached me that BMW has created an nice new app the monitor your BMW i3. But no not for a useful device that is used by a large part of the i3 users... NO!
BMW decided instead that they needed to spend money and time on creating an app especially for the Galaxy-Gear.
let's just think about Galaxy-gear and Windows Phone and what BMW must think.
BMW said: No, we will focus on the larger part of the market, so for now there is support for android and iOS. WP8 support will have to wait, as it is not important for us.. we (BMW) think that if you buy a €40k car you would not bother to changes a €500-€1100 piece of daily used technology to get full control over the vehicle. (as discussed before WP8 has over 10% marketshare in the EU5)
And what happens: They create an app for a device that is used by barely anyone at all!! A device that is time after time again criticized for being under developed, overpriced and hardly useful in daily life. Ok, the BMW app might add to the usefulness of the galaxy-gear.
But let’s not forget BMW's argument for not creating a windows phone app BMW: Not enough users
What is the percentage of i3 users that walk around with their galaxy-gear on a daily basis with the thought: Ow wow I really wish BMW would create an app for my watch.

News from samsung/BMW newly created app:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/news/localnews/2014/samsung-partners-with-bmw-trek-bikes-kidrobot-and-3d-systems-for-ces-2014-booth-engagement-experience

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=32229

This is extremely disappointing and a company like BMW should know better than this.

Source with information on how much of a fail the Galaxy-gear has been for Samsung:
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/11/19/samsung-sells-800000-smartwatches-since-launch/
about 800.000 galaxy-gears are shipped (not sold!) in the first quarter that they are on sale. This number is dwarfed by shipping numbers of the galaxy note 3 (not really the most popular phone of samsung) that reached over 10 million in the first quarter that it was on sale.

Samsung would have incentivized BMW to do it, or even more likely performed the development themselves - futuristic tech (ie. smartwatch) + futuristic car, go figure!

It might be a watch, but it runs Android. Most of the code is already done because BMW already have an Android app.

lolz at the Windows Phone fans complaining because they bought a fringe phone at the beginning of the cycle.

Give it some time, it will come soon enough I reckon. I might even get one :)

Lol.

Original versions of iDrive were actually based on Windows CE. I believe the current versions are based on QNX, a Unix-like OS which is one of the lesser known products of BlackBerry!

Actually, it's LOL's back to Windows Phone hater's.... as WP8 users can look forward to the BMW i3 app soon...

..a Windows Phone 8 version is being developed

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/12/review_bmw_i3/

MMM I have an i3 and have been using an iphone 5 (3&4 previously) but new WP nokia 1520 arrives this week. It dissappointing not to have an app ready but hopefully one will come. Looking forward to trying something that is not apple. Fed up of their spell check, lack of capability for business docs and short battery life. Hopefully will be able to integrate all info with office and surface :)

Ive yet to buy an i3, but im very near. However, thelack of a wp app seriously bothers me. If bmw cant support the OS that is easiest to support and develop for, how will their future support for innovations be?
Ive jumped ship from ios and android to wp since 7.8 and have never looked back.
The problem is, that when you are accustomed to WP, there really is no way back to the sluggish and bloated iOS or Android.

I wouldnt say this is a dealbreaker yet, but if functionality exists that i want, this might change.

If bmw sees this, please hurry up with a WP and RT app (its really easy, ive developed a cross device app myself in a couple of hours) so i can buy an i3!!

theo said:
Ive yet to buy an i3, but im very near. However, thelack of a wp app seriously bothers me. If bmw cant support the OS that is easiest to support and develop for, how will their future support for innovations be?
Ive jumped ship from ios and android to wp since 7.8 and have never looked back.
The problem is, that when you are accustomed to WP, there really is no way back to the sluggish and bloated iOS or Android.

I wouldnt say this is a dealbreaker yet, but if functionality exists that i want, this might change.

If bmw sees this, please hurry up with a WP and RT app (its really easy, ive developed a cross device app myself in a couple of hours) so i can buy an i3!!
:eek: yoa are calling IOS bloated :shock: you must be joking - have you ever actually looked at the operating systems?

MikeS said:
theo said:

:eek: yoa are calling IOS bloated :shock: you must be joking - have you ever actually looked at the operating systems?
Hell yeah.
Even the cheapest windows phone is far snappier than a iphone 5. Not to mention the coincidence that whenever theres a new iphone out, all my friends last gen iphones start acting more sluggish.

http://www.wpcentral.com/benchmark-lumia-1520-and-iphone-5s-win

This is a forum for the i3, I think there are lots of forums available to discuss the merits of different phones.

I33t said:
http://www.wpcentral.com/benchmark-lumia-1520-and-iphone-5s-win

This is a forum for the i3, I think there are lots of forums available to discuss the merits of different phones.

Indeed.

However i have now ordered my i3 rex and hopefully by the time i recieve it in 2 months there will be a wp app!
Damm bmw if not!
This is my FIRST BMW (though i have driven most through 2 friends who are enthusiasts) so lets hope the quality is as high as many people want others (like me)to believe. :D

Back