Run on flat tyres

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick787

Liaise with tyre manufacturers to provide a run flat tyre and BMW to provide the option to buy a fun flat wheel rim. Design vehicle suspension so either conventional or run flat option can be used.

With the limited range of our early EV's, BMW designed much of an i3 for maximum range. Run-flat tires, being heavier and stiffer than the standard low rolling resistance i3 tires, would reduce the available range. This trade-off might be acceptable for some current i3 drivers, but it wouldn't be for many, so I'm happy that run-flat tires were not standard on an i3.

As the range of EV's increases, designing everything for maximum range will be less important. At that point, the option of run-flat tires might make sense.

As an OPTION. Subject to how the car is being used by the end user, a 50 mile range on a punctured run flat tyre will get a lot of people home rather than being stuck at the side of the road. The current 'gunk' is next to useless. For me, the option to use run flats would make the car perfect as I'd always have a spare rim and tyre in the garage. My last 3 series had them and I suffered a puncture miles from home, they got me back with no issue. Complete peace of mind, much like taking the REx option over the BEV.

JohnKelly said:
Or carry a spare if it is convenient for you. I do.
I carry a tire plug kit instead of taking up space inside our car with a spare tire and wheel. A plug kit is much less expensive than a spare wheel and tire. Applying a plug is also easier than changing a wheel and tire. However, a plug might not always repair a flat tire which is a relatively low risk that I'm willing to take.

Yes, if it works for you. I can spare the space for a spare : ) The idea of being stranded 100 miles from the nearest BMW service center, or a hundred miles from the nearest tire store with one of these tires in stock makes me carry a spare. An un-pluggable flat could cost me several days of inconvenience and aggravation instead of just a 1/2 hour to change a tire. I live a long way from anything resembling a city, of course. Your mileage may vary : )

For BEV i3 spare works, for Rex it does not because the tire size is different and trunk has space for one.

I prefer a repair kit and inflater in Frunk.

Also saved the old set of tire in garage in case, however, in Houston, Costco normally receives the tires two day after placing the order and I think they have best price+warranty!!

i3Houston said:
For BEV i3 spare works, for Rex it does not because the tire size is different and trunk has space for one.
Only BEV's with 427 "pizza slice" wheels have the same size tires and wheels front and rear; all other BEV's have the same staggered wheels and tires as all REx models.

The winter tires and wheels that BMW sells for all i3's are the same size front and rear.

Even i3's with staggered tires and wheels could use a front tire and wheel as a spare. However, a rear tire and wheel could not be mounted on the front without using a wheel spacer.

Back