Integration of Apple CarPlay with iDrive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jag932

I was excited that Apple CarPlay was one of the features that came with my new i3. I had used it with our other car and had assumed that BMW would provide the same level of integration. It was only after I got the i3 that I discovered that in reality you have a choice of using iDrive 6.0 or Apple CarPlay. You can't toggle back and forth. That is a limitation that makes Apple CarPlay borderline useless.

I would simply like to see iDrive 6.0 integrated with Apple CarPlay so that I can bring up Apple CarPlay as easily as I bring up SiriusXM.

My suggestion to BMW is that they get their coders on this and fix it sooner rather than later. Meanwhile, I think the free trial of Apple CarPlay should be extended until they improve this situation.

Recently I had a call from someone at BMW. Because I am a new customer, they wanted to get my feedback on the i3. I had lots of good things to say about the car, of course, but I did tell the guy that BMW really needs to focus on range because for many buyers and leasers that is the deal maker or breaker.

Then I got into it big time on the issue of Apple CarPlay. I explained to him that if I can't access Apple CarPlay directly through iDrive, it is essentially worthless. It is not a practical expectation for anyone to completely deactivate iDrive just so that they can use Apple CarPlay.

I pointed out that other car makers, of Mercedes I know specifically, have managed the necessary integration. I then asked whether we could expect anything soon. He answered in the negative. He did say that he would pass my feedback on.

To reiterate, what I am simply asking for is that I be able to access Apple CarPlay as just another option like satellite radio. I should be able to move from one to the other seamlessly. That's the way it works on a Mercedes, so it is eminently doable.

End of rant.

jag932 said:
To reiterate, what I am simply asking for is that I be able to access Apple CarPlay as just another option like satellite radio. I should be able to move from one to the other seamlessly. ...
You can still move between them seamlessly after pairing your phone via CarPlay. Arguably, the most consequential sacrifice with CarPlay activation is that it takes over all calling/texting transmissions. BMW navigation is still available, as are all other standard iDrive 6.0 connectivity and vehicle settings. The notion that by pairing your phone via CarPlay somehow deactivates iDrive, that you have a choice between one or the other, is fundamentally incorrect. All of the vehicle's cabin switches — communications, media, navigation and CarPlay — it all runs via iDrive.

For quick access to a SiriusXM station, you might consider assigning it to one of the eight memory buttons. I'd also recommend checking out the BMWi Driver's Guide.app, if you haven't already — lots of good details on what CarPlay can and can't do in there.

Let us know if you have more questions!

Thanks for that. I got my information from the person at the dealership who is considered their Genius. What I described is what she described to me. Interestingly when I raised the issue with the person from BMW, I got no push back. That may suggest a lack of knowledge on his part or I don't know what. All quite curious. But thanks for shedding additional light on the subject.

Back