MKH

Chevy Volt Discontinued

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:39 am

Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 20 inch wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

theothertom

Re: Chevy Volt Discontinued

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:31 am

The Volt was a good gateway car to BEV's. It showed people that 30-40 miles of battery range is really all they need around town. It's sad to see it go.
Similar story for the i3 REx. BMW is not going to sell the REx in Europe anymore. I bought the i3 Rex because I had range anxiety. No more. My next car will be a BEV.

MKH

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 am

BMW is not going to sell the REx in Europe anymore

Yeah, the 2019 BMW i3 BEV will have a range just in excess of 150 miles (which is about what the older year i3 Rex's get in total), which makes sense for Europe, with typically shorter commutes, etc.

For North America the magic range number everyone really wants to see seems to be 200 miles - so will likely see the Rex in the US for a while yet,

In Europe, BMW sells about 20,000 i3's a year, vs about 6,000 a year in North America.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 20 inch wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

CharonPDX

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:44 pm

I'm glad I got the REx (60Ah) instead of a 94Ah BEV. I've used the REx a few times where if it hadn't been available, I either would have been stranded, late to wherever I was going because I would have had to stop and recharge at a Level 2 charger, or would have had to drive the gas car instead of the i3. The 120Ah would have been capable in every case, though. (But one: it's not out yet, two: I couldn't afford a new one. :-D )

TheMK

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:49 pm

My neighbor has a Chevy Volt that I have driven before. I like the car, it's by far one of my favorite PHEVs. I'm not a big fan of the current crop of PHEVs, maybe I've just been too spoiled by the i3's ~80mile range. If I had a Volt as a daily driver, I'd wouldn't have range anxiety, but I would have gasoline-burning anxiety! The fact that the Volt can also act as a parallel hybrid makes a decent choice to take on a long road trip. I wonder what the discontinuation of the Volt will have on PHEV sales, I wonder if other brands like Toyota or Honda will pick up potential Volt owners with the Prius Prime and Clarity PHEV, perhaps Bolt sales will go up a bit too, as there might have been people on the fence that picked the Volt for whatever reason. Of course, there's people that might've bought a Volt that will now go buy pure gasoline cars too, so we will see. In the mean time the recent acquisition of my i3 REx has put me out of the car market for a little while, so there will be more options beyond 2021 when I may look at replacing my car. I don't see myself owning another gasoline powered car, and I'm not totally opposed to owning another REx-type car (where the ICE plays a very minor role in the overall powertrain), but if the current crop of PHEVs stays at about where they are (or even double their range to circa 80 mi), then my next car will probably be a BEV type.

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”