Volkswagen pricing on the e-Golf for the US market $35445

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-e-golf-priced-35445-available-fully-loaded/
Only the fully loaded SEL Premium model will be sold in America. Includes level 3 charging, power seats, side driver/passenger air bags, cruise control, 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels, keyless access, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, dual-zone automatic climate control, a 5.8-inch touchscreen display for infotainment, heated seats, rear camera, parking control, and the standard navigation system, and Bluetooth pairing, Sirius radio, etc. The level 3 charging, parking control, and heated seats are $2000 i3 options, so we're talking a $8000+ difference, plus things like power seats, cruise control, full rear door with power windows etc. I'm not sure what leatherette seats are vs the basic i3 Sensatec cloth

This is before the 7500 tax credit. This is going to give BMW i3 some sleepless nights, especially if it comes in at 3090 lbs curb weight as promised. This is only 440 lbs over the i3 with it's aluminum frame and carbon body (despite being 11" longer) and only 200 lbs over the VW entry gas model. I don't know how they're doing it.

This starts delivering in November. I sat in the 2015 gas version and it's quite the car. My wife wants a more conventional looking ev than the i3, so I've got serious decision making next year. It will be either an i3 or e-golf, as I've ruled out the 4000lb Mercedes bev.

Ron

cove3 said:
http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-e-golf-priced-35445-available-fully-loaded/
"Only the fully loaded SEL Premium model will be sold in America."

This is before the 7500 tax credit. This is going to give BMW i3 some sleepless nights, especially if it comes in at 3040 lbs curb weight as promised. This is only 400 lbs over the i3 with it's aluminum frame and carbon body (despite being 11" longer) and only 200 lbs over the VW entry gas model. I don't know how they're doing it.

This starts delivering in November. I sat in the 2015 gas version and it's quite the car. My wife wants a more conventional looking ev than the i3, so I've got serious decision making next year. It will be either an i3 or e-golf, as I've ruled out the 4000lb Mercedes bev.

Ron
Don't think so, it's not the same class of vehicle. I would not walk across the street to see one.

Hi Ron,
while the Golf is an excellent car and its E-sibling a welcome competitor (IMHO), it is not surprising to me that a vee-dub is cheaper than a BMW :)

Surprising is that the curb weigth over here in EU is stated by Volkswagen as 1585 kg (with 68 kg driver and 7 kg luggage as per EU standards) = 1510 kg = 3330 lbs for the fully unloaded version. i3 weighs, conforming to the same standards, 1270 kg - 68 - 7 = 1195 kg = 2635 lbs for the base version. The weight difference is a not insignificant 695 lbs.

VW's pricing is competitive in the USA though, for in the EU the Golf and i3 are, bar some small pennies, priced the same @ ~35k euro.

Regards, Steven

cove3 said:
Maybe their using carbon panels

Hi Ron,

...now that would cause some excitement ! But it seems highly unlikely...

PS: regarding the extra 11 inches, >75% of those are used up by the longer bonnet. I've taken the liberty to superimpose both cars to get an idea of the relative sizes. I've scaled both drawings to their relative sizes and used the position of the front seats as an anchor.

BMWi3vsGolf.jpg

Regards, Steven

One of the things my wife expressed about the i3, in addition to the unusual exterior and green interior, was that she couldn't see the hood. Being petite probably contributed to that, although I can't recall in our test drive if I could see it and I'm 6'1. So the longer e-golf hood is a plus, because if it's a showstopper, I'm not about to trade in my wife

I agree about the carbon panels, although vw is deep into carbon fibre with ownership interest in a carbon company and a concept xl1 car at 1750 lbs with carbon components, as well as magnesium etc so they have the know how.

By the way, this will cause fits for the Tesla 3 for 2017, as its all steel and they have no carbon know how that I know of and they will be competing with all carbon bevs as well as 3 or 4 fuel cell vehicles out before then

Ron

cove3 said:
I'm not about to trade in my wife

:lol:
Don't, by all means ! Even a fashion model wouldn't see the hood. It is simply not visible from any reasonable driving position.
It's the reason we've taken the parking package with its front sensors.
Anyway...

Regards, Steven

I'm a little over 6'2", and I cannot see the front of the car, either, so it's not just a petite woman that has that issue. Depending on the options, at least it will warn you when you get close to something.

To be practical, the bonnet slopes away from the driver, you can't see the front of the golf from the driver's seat. Seeing part of the hood is not going to help much.

<<<you can't see the front of the golf from the driver's seat. Seeing part of the hood is not going to help much>>

It's proportional. The more you can see of the hood, the more your mind through experience can fill in the remaining distance. For example, I can't see my protruding bumper, but because I know from experience it's approximate size, I can mentally interpolate for it when parking.

When there's nothing to lock on to, it's much harder to interpolate than when you have say 70% of the hood. The next time I sit in a 2015 gas golf, I'll pay more attention to what that percentage is. The i3 parking assistant is $1,000 and is probably something i would have overlooked were it not for this thread, so it will be one of the considerations I buy a bev

Ron

My dealer is a BMW/VW operation and in casual conversation with the General Service Manager, he mentioned that he "drove the e-Golf and it's no where near as lively and fun as the i3." He blames the traditional body structure and weight.

Also, he noted that the off-accelerator-recoup-braking action is practically nil in the Golf.

He urged me to go for a drive in one when I'm next waiting (for another software update?? LOL)

<<<Also, he noted that the off-accelerator-recoup-braking action is practically nil in the Golf.>>

I don't understand that, as the e-golf has 3 levels of regenerative braking. I drove both cars and couldn't tell much difference, at least in the settings for the two demo cars. I didn't think to try all 3 settings for the e-golf, but whatever setting it was was doing a lot of braking

Also, none of the many reviews commented on it, certainly not being nil.

As far as peppy, that's probably right, although the weight advantage making it peppier comes at the expense of the carbon body contributing to the 10K higher MSRP. The weight advantage is also partially the result of being 10" shorter, resulting in the disadvantage of suicide doors, 40% less cargo space, and not being able to see the hood for parking

Ron

You can see the hood for parking on a current Golf? I have a MkIV and the hood is not visible, I can't imagine how the current model has improved on that...

35k $ is a very competitive price.
Now they only need to increase range to 200 miles until 2017 - they could compete eye level with Tesla III then.

Frank

Back