BMW i5/i7 scoop: target Tesla Model S

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With 500+ hp it should be a fun drive...
Given that it is a BEv with a REx and that the electric range is 80 miles, will the fuel tank be only 2.4 gallons like the i3 in order to qualify with CARB? Or will CARB alter their policy of not allowing the gasoline range to be greater than the electric range? Would a LWB 5-series with only a 160 mile maximum range on its best day be a viable proposition or would CARB allow the fuel tank to be large enough for a range similar to a gasoline version?

The article also says that the REx will run whenever the car is over 40 MPH since the wind and tire noise will drown out the engine noise. If so, then there must be a new deal with CARB for another class of PZEVs because that is a very different strategy for use of a Range Extender than in the i3.

Or, this early leaked story from Britain could be all about the Rest of the World model and the NA version will be hobbled and compromised to meet CARB rules like our i3s..... :evil:

The article says it will be a PHEV so the CARB rules that restricted the i3 in order to get the BEVx rating do not apply. The Prius plug-in is a PHEV for example, gas tank can be as big as they want.

Until DC fast charging stations are as common as fuel pumps, something like this is quite viable. The hoopla about Tesla's supercharging network is just that...only useful on a few very specific routes if you want to cross the country, otherwise, with a typical EVSE, you're looking at a many hour-long recharging stop...if you can find one. And, the comment about 'free' use of their superchargers...unless they've changed their policy...it's only free on the model with the larger battery, and costs in the order of $2800 as an option for all of the rest. I don't call that free, and for where I live, it's a 100-mile round trip to get to the nearest one...kind of useless. There are probably 20 gas stations within 5-miles of my house which are much more useful.

No hybrid or short range EV like the i3 will ever be a threat to Tesla, sorry. I've been a BMW fan for years and the i3 BEV i picked up on a lease 2 weeks ago is a good little car and it's our 4th BMW. However, I would never have purchased this car due to it being extremely handicapped. It will work great around town since I can park my gas guzzling SUV and the car will practically pay for itself, but we have to keep the 335D for anything out of town. With the Tesla and living in California I could go anywhere with hardly any inconvenience. This ability will be available to everyone in a short period of time as the supercharging network expands. Superchargers are only meant for long distance traveling so the fact that they are not close to your home is exactly the point. I love plugging in the i3 when I get home, goal is to get off gas/Diesel ASAP. When the lease is up on this i3 I will be buying a Tesla, hopefully Model 3 is out in late 2017 as planned. When you factor in that you always have a full tank in the morning, the few extra minutes it takes to charge on the occasional road trip is far less than weekly gas station visits. Amazing to me how most people can't do this simple math.

The dealership experience alone is enough to never want to buy another BMW or non Tesla car ever again. They have no desire to sell these cars based on my experience. They park them behind all the other cars so they are difficult to access, and to top that off they don't keep the batteries charged up. We had to sit there for hours waiting for a charge so we could drive home. Our home is 60 miles away with 2000 feet elevation gain and I didn't want to be left stranded before day 1 ended.

I had another not so great BMW dealer experience buying my 335D CPO car from a different dealer. Car developed an oil leak from the oil cooler. After having two dealers look at it, including the dealer we purchased the car from, it was discovered that the sub frame had been smashed up into the base of the engine which then rubbed a hole in the oil cooler. Nice inspection process BMW, CPO my ass. Of course they didn't own it, blamed it on us. Luckily it was considered an "impact by road hazard" so my insurance covered most of it.

I think you will see that a huge number of i3 buyers are simply "renting" the car until they can buy the 3rd gen Tesla.

Back