File Library?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultraturtle

Tom,

Does this site have the capability to add a file library? There are several lists I'd like to see created and kept updated:

• EVSEs compatible with the i3
    CCS Charging Station locations (at least until Google Maps adds that functionality)
    Range/Consumption Spreadsheet - mandatory entries would be BEV or REx, month and year manufactured (to normalize capacity degradation due to age), odometer reading (to normalize capacity degradation due to useage), Eco mode, outside air temperature, payload (weight of occupants and cargo), air conditioning % use, heat pump % use, miles driven, and kWh consumed.

TMSsilent said:
Screw Facebook. Never touch the thing.
Not a fan either. This forum is a far better way to organize threads. The downfall is that it has no file library, so we are reduced to using Facebook for editable documents. I'll shamefully admit that I rejoined Facebook (after using it for a few months, being thoroughly creeped out, and having suffered through their arcane and lengthy cancellation process 6 years ago) a month or two ago for the sole purpose of accessing the BMW i3 page, which Tom also manages.

Tom,

Is there any way to enable a file library on this forum? On topics of coding alone, the additional hits should drive enough revenue to cover any additional costs. I'd like to add coding to my request below:

Tom,

Does this site have the capability to add a file library? There are several lists I'd like to see created and kept updated:

• EVSEs proven compatible with the i3
    CCS Charging Station locations (at least until Google Maps adds that functionality)
    Range/Consumption Spreadsheet - mandatory entries would be BEV or REx, month and year manufactured (to normalize capacity degradation due to age), odometer reading (to normalize capacity degradation due to useage), Eco mode, outside air temperature, payload (weight of occupants and cargo), air conditioning % use, heat pump % use, miles driven, and kWh consumed.
Adding a coding file as is maintained on Facebook.

Unlike this site, the Facebook page is very difficult resource from which to glean useful information. Adding a file library could pretty much lock this site down as the single source for up to date BMW i3 info.

ultraturtle said:
Unlike this site, the Facebook page is very difficult resource from which to glean useful information. Adding a file library could pretty much lock this site down as the single source for up to date BMW i3 info.

There are other options, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc, etc if there is no possibility of a file library here.

ultraturtle said:
Tom,

• Range/Consumption Spreadsheet - mandatory entries would be BEV or REx, month and year manufactured (to normalize capacity degradation due to age), odometer reading (to normalize capacity degradation due to useage), Eco mode, outside air temperature, payload (weight of occupants and cargo), air conditioning % use, heat pump % use, miles driven, and kWh consumed.

This has already been created here: bit.ly/bmwi3rangechart

There are notes/comments for the verified values that include most of your requested info.

i3atl said:

There are notes/comments for the verified values that include most of your requested info.
Yeah, I saw that a half year or so ago when it was created, but it kind of makes my point. There is a single entry for each value, none of them are normalized for ambient temperature, battery age, or longevity, and it has never been updated. Other vehicles (PiP, Tesla Model S, LEAF) have a massive spreadsheet resource to which many forum members contribute, making them credible. My appreciation to the Tesla owners in particular for being honest enough to post realistic numbers. Their real world experiences helped make the i3 REx purchase decision easy.

A file library on this site would make data gathering and dissemination more convenient for all of us.

ultraturtle said:
i3atl said:

Yeah, I saw that a half year or so ago when it was created, but it kind of makes my point. There is a single entry for each value, none of them are normalized for ambient temperature, battery age, or longevity, and it has never been updated. Other vehicles (PiP, Tesla Model S, LEAF) have a massive spreadsheet resource to which many forum members contribute, making them credible. My appreciation to the Tesla owners in particular for being honest enough to post realistic numbers. Their real world experiences helped make the i3 REx purchase decision easy.

A file library on this site would make data gathering and dissemination more convenient for all of us.

Did you look at the blue values? They were updated within the past 2 months and temp/climate control use/terrain were noted on each one.

I agree that it would be nice to have a number of samples for each speed - why don't you create a Google doc (or modify that one) to reflect the layout you're looking for? Then people can start adding data.

i3atl said:
...why don't you create a Google doc (or modify that one) to reflect the layout you're looking for? Then people can start adding data.
Good idea. I could do that, but would rather post such an editable document on a file library located on this forum. Hence, my plea to Tom.

Duplicate post from another thread, but I would like to find out if this forum can up its game to be a more comprehensive source of information and discourse regarding the BMW i3:

I33t said:
I can see why the group is set to "Closed" now, but that just causes issues with seeing the information when not logged in. If the posts were on a forum such as this one, there would be no reason to lock the access.
Pretty much why I asked Tom to look into adding a file library to this forum. See http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1109

Facebook does not have the capability to organize threads anywhere near as efficiently as this forum does. Adding a file library with editable files would drive much more traffic, which could eventually establish this forum as the single source most reliable presence to ask, answer, and discuss all things i3 related.

PriusChat is a good example of why forums get info out better than FaceBook. Nobody seeks out a Facebook group for information about the Plug-In Prius because PriusChat provides far more comprehensive information, to include file libraries, "likes received" to compare against postings to establish credibility of those posting, and mandatory entries for location on the globe so the myBMWi3 community can more efficiently answer questions.

Back