Charge Port Cap - A Stop to the Dangling!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew

I'm sure many have figured this out already, but thought I'd post this anyway, since it took me a while. On the under side of the cap rim, on the opposite side of the where the string is attached to the cap, there is a slot cut out of the cap. The slot fits perfectly over the hook on the charge port door. No more dangling!

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

The caps are sort of daisy-chained, and if you have one on the hook, the other at least isn't long enough to dangle and bang on the bodywork.

Firebird23 said:
if you are brave enough, detach the plastic covers completely. I did.
I just did as well.

When I originally saw this post I thought the bravery was for cutting them off, but I just noticed that you can simply slide the attachment point over and they come right off. Almost like they're optional.

I'd love to know if there's an issue with doing this, like the possibility of water damage or something.

I'll be leaving mine off for now, and maybe after I do a car wash at some point I'll see how much water incursion there is.

I would think that the caps would help not only with water, but also dust. Then, consider where you live, maybe near the ocean, and they throw in maybe damp salt laden air...corrosion could be costly and enough dust accumulation could make inserting the plug impossible or add to any wear. Having lived in the US southwest, I know a dust storm gets dust everywhere...doesn't matter if the flap is closed. Then, throw in maybe a sprinkle, or a car wash, and that dust can turn to almost rock. I do not know if there is any voltage on those pins - it's likely they only get connected via a contactor, but if you have the DC fast charge port, who knows. There's probably a diode in there to prevent that. If BMW didn't feel they were necessary, they wouldn't put them on the vehicle, IMHO.

jadnashuanh said:
I would think that the caps would help not only with water, but also dust. Then, consider where you live, maybe near the ocean, and they throw in maybe damp salt laden air...corrosion could be costly and enough dust accumulation could make inserting the plug impossible or add to any wear. Having lived in the US southwest, I know a dust storm gets dust everywhere...doesn't matter if the flap is closed. Then, throw in maybe a sprinkle, or a car wash, and that dust can turn to almost rock. I do not know if there is any voltage on those pins - it's likely they only get connected via a contactor, but if you have the DC fast charge port, who knows. There's probably a diode in there to prevent that. If BMW didn't feel they were necessary, they wouldn't put them on the vehicle, IMHO.

Wow… you must lead a very complicated, but pristine life my friend.
I thought I was anal! :)

Dust + a sprinkle of water = almost rock !? ;)

I wouldn't worry about the connectors corroding because the 2 caps are not connected together (but still capping the actual connectors)!

They don't seem like low grade connectors.

FWIW, having lived in five different countries around the world, I can tell you that some dust once you get it wet, can make a REALLY hard, nasty substance that, especially around salt water, can be quite corrosive in the process.

Back