Onboard Charger Issues

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMoloughney

Notice: Onboard charger replacement and temporary reduction of charge rate

Over in the i3 Facebook group there have been some discussion here regarding the charge rates of some cars that have been returned from service once they had a new onboard charger(KLE) installed. Some people have reported that their car is taking longer to charge than it did before they had the service. I now have the real facts on this from BMW NA and it will be officially communicated through them soon. I just wanted to get this out there now before anyone else wonders why their car may be charging slower after service.

Unfortunately the lower charge rate is indeed going to be the case, but it is only a temporary measure. The problem is some i3s (BEV and REx) are having a failure of their onboard charger and the result is the car will only charge at half the usual rate (roughly 3.5kW instead of around 7kW). BMW has identified the cause and is in the process of developing a permanent fix for this which I believe will be a new KLE. In the meantime, if your KLE fails and you bring it in for the service, they will install a new KLE(the same one as the one you have), and then reduce the charge rate by about 20% (you should see about a 5.8kW draw instead of the ~7kW draw the car can take now). This will help to prevent the new unit from failing again but it is only a temporary measure until the new, permanent unit can be installed. What this means is instead of charging at about 23 miles per hour, you'll be charging at about 18 miles per hour (of course, YMMV) and instead of a 3.5 hour full recharge, it will be about 4.5 hours.

I don't have any time official frame, but I expect this to be a short stint of perhaps a couple months, that's all. Many of you won't even be effected, as long as your KLE doesn't fail. One suggestion I have that will prevent any failure is to set your charge rate to minimum if you don't need to charge faster, like if you are recharging overnight. The lower charge rate will prevent the KLE from failing and you won't be inconvenienced by having to bring it in for service just yet. No, I realize it's not ideal, but BMW does indeed have a permanent fix and the cars will indeed have the 7.2kW charge rate we were promised. I'll update more as I get information on this.

I'm not sure if the European i3 owners have been experiencing the same onboard charger issues as we have been here in the US, but I'd like to hear about it if you have. I'm not sure exactly why it would only affect us here, but I do know the KLEs are failing at a pretty good rate and many of the i3 owners that I know have had the problem, including me.

The temporary charge rate does not effect level 1 charging or DCQC, just level 2 charging.

Thank you for the clear and detailed information.

I wonder if my car might actually get a replacement when it goes thru the VDC in 3 weeks assuming the updated charger is actually available. Is there any way to know whether you have an updated charger?

TomMoloughney said:

Over in the i3 Facebook group there have been some discussion here regarding the charge rates of some cars that have been returned from service once they had a new onboard charger(KLE) installed. Some people have reported that their car is taking longer to charge than it did before they had the service. I now have the real facts on this from BMW NA and it will be officially communicated through them soon. I just wanted to get this out there now before anyone else wonders why their car may be charging slower after service.

Unfortunately the lower charge rate is indeed going to be the case, but it is only a temporary measure. The problem is some i3s (BEV and REx) are having a failure of their onboard charger and the result is the car will only charge at half the usual rate (roughly 3.5kW instead of around 7kW). BMW has identified the cause and is in the process of developing a permanent fix for this which I believe will be a new KLE. In the meantime, if your KLE fails and you bring it in for the service, they will install a new KLE(the same one as the one you have), and then reduce the charge rate by about 20% (you should see about a 5.8kW draw instead of the ~7kW draw the car can take now). This will help to prevent the new unit from failing again but it is only a temporary measure until the new, permanent unit can be installed. What this means is instead of charging at about 23 miles per hour, you'll be charging at about 18 miles per hour (of course, YMMV) and instead of a 3.5 hour full recharge, it will be about 4.5 hours.

I don't have any time official frame, but I expect this to be a short stint of perhaps a couple months, that's all. Many of you won't even be effected, as long as your KLE doesn't fail. One suggestion I have that will prevent any failure is to set your charge rate to minimum if you don't need to charge faster, like if you are recharging overnight. The lower charge rate will prevent the KLE from failing and you won't be inconvenienced by having to bring it in for service just yet. No, I realize it's not ideal, but BMW does indeed have a permanent fix and the cars will indeed have the 7.2kW charge rate we were promised. I'll update more as I get information on this.

I'm not sure if the European i3 owners have been experiencing the same onboard charger issues as we have been here in the US, but I'd like to hear about it if you have. I'm not sure exactly why it would only affect us here, but I do know the KLEs are failing at a pretty good rate and many of the i3 owners that I know have had the problem, including me.

The temporary charge rate does not effect level 1 charging or DCQC, just level 2 charging.

Hi Tom. .. i have had 2 KLEs fail... the first replacement gave me the full 7kw, the second replacement (which took 5 weeks) is only charging at about 5.5kw with all on max...
Your post explains all thank you.
I will let bmw know I have noticed and hopefully get on the list for a set withour a potential issue...
Thanks

noakey said:
Hi Tom. .. i have had 2 KLEs fail... the first replacement gave me the full 7kw, the second replacement (which took 5 weeks) is only charging at about 5.5kw with all on max...
I will let bmw know I have noticed and hopefully get on the list for a set withour a potential issue...
Thanks

I have had conversations with BMW about this and they agree they need to inform the customers when they get their cars back that the charging rate is slightly reduced but that it will only be temporary. You are a prime example of poor communication and only learned what happened from my post - that shouldn't happen. BMW has promised to improve the communication on issues like this to make sure the customer knows what is going on.

I am working with them now to help improve this communication. Things will get better, I promise.

When I went for my 2nd i3 test drive, I attempted to enter the passenger seat. When I pulled on the exterior door handle, it came right off in my hand! This charger issue and that issue makes me wonder if there isn't a bit of a quality issue in the production chain somewhere? Not very BMW-like :(

Zzzoom3 said:
When I went for my 2nd i3 test drive, I attempted to enter the passenger seat. When I pulled on the exterior door handle, it came right off in my hand! This charger issue and that issue makes me wonder if there isn't a bit of a quality issue in the production chain somewhere? Not very BMW-like :(

Indeed. Worrisome as someone with one on order...

At least in the USA, BMW had a fleet of pre-production vehicles running around the country and used for 'drive events' for people to drive. IOW, they were not production vehicles, and had seen a lot of abuse from many miles of test drives. So, if that was one of the vehicles tested, it may not represent a true, production product exactly as they worked out the details of mass producing the things. I've not had anything come loose or fall of (yet!?), but it's not very old. The good thing about that is, they have had a bunch of test miles on the pre-production vehicles, and were able to find and fix issues that could cause failures to a large degree. But, being a new vehicle, there's always a learning curve, and at least some issues. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

TomMoloughney said:
noakey said:
Thanks

I have had conversations with BMW about this and they agree they need to inform the customers when they get their cars back that the charging rate is slightly reduced but that it will only be temporary. You are a prime example of poor communication and only learned what happened from my post - that shouldn't happen. BMW has promised to improve the communication on issues like this to make sure the customer knows what is going on.

I am working with them now to help improve this communication. Things will get better, I promise.

Thank you tom... communication is key here and to hope no one notices is not a good strategy... I would have had great respect at being told up front... now I am just suspicious... but the i3 is awesome...

noakey said:
TomMoloughney said:
noakey said:
Thanks

Thank you tom... communication is key here and to hope no one notices is not a good strategy... I would have had great respect at being told up front... now I am just suspicious... but the i3 is awesome...

Hi tom... I made an enquiry into bmw uk and received tge following reply..

" I have spoken to technical about your query and you are correct, the new software installed on your vehicle has stricter temperature modelling built in. When the parts detect higher temperatures they de-rate the charging power. BMW AG are looking into this and it is possible that future software will reduce the affect of the temperature modelling but currently your vehicle is at the current solution."

TomMoloughney said:

...In the meantime, if your KLE fails and you bring it in for the service, they will install a new KLE(the same one as the one you have), and then reduce the charge rate by about 20% (you should see about a 5.8kW draw instead of the ~7kW draw the car can take now)...
Tom/all,

I recently took my car in for the software patch/reload to get my a/c working again, but my car is only charging at around 5.5kW. Before now, it was charging at above 7kW. It seems they also did something to reduce my charging rate, even though my KLE was fine.

SDCAi3 said:
TomMoloughney said:

...In the meantime, if your KLE fails and you bring it in for the service, they will install a new KLE(the same one as the one you have), and then reduce the charge rate by about 20% (you should see about a 5.8kW draw instead of the ~7kW draw the car can take now)...
Tom/all,

I recently took my car in for the software patch/reload to get my a/c working again, but my car is only charging at around 5.5kW. Before now, it was charging at above 7kW. It seems they also did something to reduce my charging rate, even though my KLE was fine.
Do you have a REx or a BEV?

Zzzoom3 said:
SDCAi3 said:
TomMoloughney said:

Tom/all,

I was also wondering if you have had a chance to charge it since the 5.5 kW limitation was applied in software? How long is it taking and how many miles are you recovering per hour of charge compared to before?

Thanks ..

Zzzoom3 said:
Zzzoom3 said:
SDCAi3 said:

Tom/all,

I was also wondering if you have had a chance to charge it since the 5.5 kW limitation was applied in software? How long is it taking and how many miles are you recovering per hour of charge compared to before?

Thanks ..
I have a BEV. I didn't record times or recovered mi/hr during charging and have only charged it this one time since getting it back (they "topped it off" for me before returning it). I figured something was amiss since after plugging in, I noticed the car predicting it would take more than 4 hours (I didn't note the exact time) to charge from a 13% SOC (according to the iOS app). To arrive at the 5.5kW, I compared electric meter readings before and after plugging in (I don't have an ammeter or power meter on the EVSE). The next time I have to charge (probably a few days from now), I'll record more data. I didn't monitor the charging process, so I don't know exactly how long it ended up taking. Hopefully this wasn't coincidentally the beginning of a KLE failure and the next charge will only be at 3.5kW.

SDCAi3 said:
TomMoloughney said:

Tom/all,

Sounds like they are taking any oportunity to de-rate the KLEs whilst they look for a solution.

Our I3 received an update - unasked in this regard and without any information about this issue - today and guess what, the max charge rate dropped to 5.2 kW (not 5.8 kW as mentioned here). As we had no problems at all charging with 30A and 32A before the update was applied i will ask for help tomorrow at BMW Service...

noakey said:
SDCAi3 said:
TomMoloughney said:

Tom/all,

Sounds like they are taking any oportunity to de-rate the KLEs whilst they look for a solution.
Yes absolutely they are trying to avoid more failures and the repercussions of this. If the software fix results in no more failures (or few), I'm worried that BMW Management will make a decision to make this the final fix for our production year. Why? Because it is FAR cheaper to make a fix in software than have to redesign, test, and replace hardware.

I hope that Tom's expectation for a permanent fix resulting in the advertised Level 2 charge rate will be realized.

Notreallyme said:
Our I3 received an update - unasked in this regard and without any information about this issue - today and guess what, the max charge rate dropped to 5.2 kW (not 5.8 kW as mentioned here). As we had no problems at all charging with 30A and 32A before the update was applied i will ask for help tomorrow at BMW Service...
Not sure why you took your vehicle in but it sounds like it had nothing to do with charging. Whatever the reason, if a new software load was needed, there can be a number of changes from the previously installed version included in the new software release. If BMW has decided that this charging change should apply to all versions of the i3, and from various posts I have read, it seems this way, then you will have the change whether you wanted it or not :(

I took delivery of my i3-REx last Thursday, July 31st. I've had the opportunity to look at the charging rates from Coulomb ChargePoint units (I myself have one in my garage); I've noticed that my maximum rate was 5.8 kW, dropping down to 5.5 kW as it got closer to 100% SOC. I haven't personally topped it off yet. I'll assume that mine was preset at the 80% value either at the factory or "VDC."

davidrshelton said:
I took delivery of my i3-REx last Thursday, July 31st. I've had the opportunity to look at the charging rates from Coulomb ChargePoint units (I myself have one in my garage); I've noticed that my maximum rate was 5.8 kW, dropping down to 5.5 kW as it got closer to 100% SOC. I haven't personally topped it off yet. I'll assume that mine was preset at the 80% value either at the factory or "VDC."
So which one of all those EVs you have owned did you like the best and the least? Why?

Got car back from dealer for the CEL, they said my car had ten fault codes, but that's a different story for a different thread. My app showed 49% battery and 2:5x minutes to full charge, so making full charge time to be around 6hours. I verified with a voltmeter that the wall plug the EVSE plugged into is 240v, and my charge setting on 220v is set to maximum.

Back