I managed to get a discount on the BMW i3...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'nother comment... the sales price of a car can be tied to a buyer's decision to finance. If you finance, the new purchase price is easier to negotiate, and vice versa. I was pleased to pay cash and still get $2500 off. Not sure about BMW, but in the past I have purchased cars at a discount by financing, then walked out the door and paid it off with the first payment.

stormsaw said:
I managed to get $2500 discounted from a custom-ordered REx. Rockville, MD BMW.
I am planning to buy REX, I live in baltimore metro. How was the buying experience at other dealerships. Are they willing to negotiate? Did you try bmw fairfax ,they advertised lower price.

I bought mine last month as I wanted the Rex loaded BMW East Bay had no inventory and Stevens Creek offered me the one I wanted $1250 off MSRP and East Bay wouldn't match so bought from Stevens Creek and also cut me a deal on extending the warranty.

Stuart

Just bought a pretty fully equipped White one. Will take delivery in 2 days.
Discount was slightly over 2K.
Could have pushed for more, but I had specific option needs and the closest car with what I wanted was 750 miles away.
Didn't relish that trip stopping very 80 miles!

Hi MdSolar,
you asked about buying at other dealerships, and commented about the possibility of going to Fairfax BMW (and you live in Baltimore). I placed my order with Rockville BMW, on my second trip back to the dealership. On both visits I was told that they don't negotiate the price because of the deep federal and state tax rebates. But as I was filling out the paperwork I got into a discussion with the salesman about the size of the MD state tax rebate, which was recently increased. The salesman disagreed with me (he was wrong...), but I told him I was going to hold off placing the order until I verified the effective date of the newly increased MD rate. At that point he promptly discounted 2K off the car, "good for that day only". (2K was the difference between the old MD rate and the new MD rate, and he was not aware of the new MD rate). After that I pushed him for more, and got him to throw in the cost of the upgrade paint as well.

I have a friend who knows the sales manager at Fairfax. He reports that the Fairfax dealer is having trouble moving their stock of i3's, but when you check their inventory, most of them are non-Rex Mega's. The one Rex he has in inventory is also Mega. I think Fairfax missed the mark on what they decided to inventory, thus most folks (like me) are ordering one instead.

One thing to very carefully consider when pondering going to Fairfax. You live in MD, and Fairfax is in VA. If you purchase from Fairfax you will NOT be eligible for the MD state tax rebate, which is sizeable. Effective July 1st, the Governor approved the legislature's recommendation to increase the MD state tax rebate from $1K to $3K, and also increased the reimbursement of 1/2 of your charger installation up to $900. Unless for some reason you think Fairfax is going to offer a $5500 discount (the cost of the $3K MD rebate plus the $2500 discount that I was able to get) I would stick to a MD dealer.

My 2 anyway!

Mike74jcw said:
Final discount for me will be close to $5k. I got the 7% residual increase "voucher" plus $1,000 off plus a set of Tera World mats (anthracite)....and hopefully the trunk mat/box also.

Taking delivery of my REx on Monday!

What exactly is the "7% residual increase voucher"?
What is your residual % with the voucher applied?
Is this included in the $5K savings, or in addition to?

Thanks!

Surge said:
[What exactly is the "7% residual increase voucher"?
No voucher required. BMW increased the residuals on the i3s across the board by 7% a week or so. I think some of the dealers wanted to make their customers feel "special" and so claimed they were letting them have one of the rare residual vouchers. I heard about the voucher a couple of weeks ago, and then checked with my dealer (while waiting for my i3 to arrive), and he said it is for all leases and OC deals, no voucher needed. (Hmmm, maybe my dealer wants me not to feel so special!)

When I went to pick up my i3 this past Friday, wanting a 30 mo OC, the paperwork the dealer showed me said the 7% increase was for 36 month lease or OC. He called BMW Finance and confirmed that it was for all terms, not just 36 months.

My CA gave $2K off the top without me asking (I'm a repeat customer though), and the new residuals make the lease reasonable and seemingly a bit less convoluted than the owner's choice. I think the OC was a way to try and get a decent payment in the face of low residuals. Now he just has to get the car in...not sure where he's trading from. I imagine if we took one on the lot it would be even more off but color matters...

Just picked up a BEV and got $4000 off the MSRP, 36-month owners choice with a 53% residual based on the MSRP. Thanks to all the advice on the board. They also gave me a very attractive price for my trade-in. I get the sense they are trying to move these as they were very willing to negotiate with me.

TJP75 said:
Just picked up a BEV and got $4000 off the MSRP, 36-month owners choice with a 53% residual based on the MSRP. Thanks to all the advice on the board. They also gave me a very attractive price for my trade-in. I get the sense they are trying to move these as they were very willing to negotiate with me.

Hi, where are you located? What was the MSRP on your i3? Congrats!

TJP75 said:
The MSRP was $51,200. Dealership was United BMW in Roswell, GA.

Assuming that the i3 has the same invoice structure as the rest of the BMW line that is roughly invoice+$100 and a really good deal.

Charlotte NC

Rex w heated seats mega world
Extended warranty
Tire coverage curb rim
Paint interior protection

3,500 discount

2.99 for 60 months, no penalty early pay off

Top Kelly blue book auto trader value for trade in

No discount for cash

We got a bit over $2K off without haggling, and a painless and fairly quick process all things considered. We could have gotten a ton off a fully loaded Rex that they had but we stuck with the original spec. She picks up the car today. Turns out there is no one to PDI a car on Labor Day - though the trucks do deliver on holidays. Go figure...

I bought a Giga BEV with Professional Navigation/Tech and heated seats in central Indiana.

I managed to get 5.25% off of MSRP and the 7% residual bump (36 month Owners Choice with Flex.) I called and attempted to get the $1000 off "offer Code" from the iConcierge for attending the Drive the Future Now event (which i DID attend in May) but I was told by the iConcierge representative that the offer was only good for custom orders placed and NOT available for a car that was in dealer inventory. Not sure if that is actually true but they were unwilling to give me a code for the additional discount. :(

One word of warning. If you live in a state where Owners Choice w/Flex has not been available previously be prepared for an interesting time working with the Dealer Finance staff. It was a lot of extra work for them (I was their first so it was a learning experience) and it took a little bit longer that the standard leasing process.

In the end I'm pretty happy with the deal and REALLY happy with the car. I could have got a better price if I had been willing to go to the Chicago area, a few dealers there are offering 7% off of MSRP with no negotiation. However, they were offering less for my trade-in and the extra discount would have been a push.

$5,150 off a fully loaded Rex at Encinitas BMW (part of AutoNation) at the end of the month in August. I suspect it was a combination of end of month and a fairly large inventory (more than 10).

Lagbeach said:
$5,150 off a fully loaded Rex at Encinitas BMW (part of AutoNation) at the end of the month in August. I suspect it was a combination of end of month and a fairly large inventory (more than 10).

Peter, I'm pretty close to this dealer and I'm in the market for a Rex, how did you get such a good deal? Would you mind sharing your salesman's name?

Thanks,

Matt

Everyone here seems to be getting great discounts. My central NJ dealer offered a pitiful 3.2% on a 52k Rex and a crappy trade-in value. Yet the other dealer told me they cannot move these vehicles off the lot, but he has no Rex models (and seems not inclined to place any orders).

Anyone in NJ who's gotten a good deal?

vip007 said:
Everyone here seems to be getting great discounts. My central NJ dealer offered a pitiful 3.2% on a 52k Rex and a crappy trade-in value. Yet the other dealer told me they cannot move these vehicles off the lot, but he has no Rex models (and seems not inclined to place any orders).

Anyone in NJ who's gotten a good deal?

VIP- You should reach out to Manny Antunes, CA at JMK BMW in Springfield, NJ. He's a true i3 expert and very highly regarded by many different customers across the various i3 and BMW forums.

Back