DC Fast Charging SAE Option

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3fan

Loving the i3. May have made one mistake. Did not realize DC Fast Charging SAE was not standard and was a $700 option. Am I destined for slower charging for the rest of the life of the car? Can this option be added after sale?

I have Rex and am aware that some feel Rex makes need for fast charging a non-issue for the most part, but I can see some benefit of still having dc fast charging.

I'm sorry to say that you are up the veritable creek without a paddle if you didn't option it.

I am one of those people who thinks this should be a mandatory feature for either model. All you have to do is use it once, and it will make complete sense. If you are reading this planning to order a car, do yourself a favor and check this box. The availability of the DCFC in the U.S. is very low at the moment but it will be getting much better as the BMWi Dealers start installing the new BMW branded Fast Chargers.

You'll be glad you have this in the coming months. In CA, it will be free thru 2015. I would bet this will be extended to other parts of the country too.

Have you activated the free charging program? I signed up for the program, but it required me to activate the enrollment by end of 2014 at a participating Evgo station. I've been using the Evgo station but there was no way for me to activate the account because they don't require any authentication. Very strange...

Back