UK Order v Delivery Dates

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone! :p I have now added the DC charge option. Should know the delay by Monday :? . I'll post it on here just in case anyone else in the future is in the same position.

Dee123 said:
Sorry for the silly question. Is a charging cable included with the DC charge option?

There's no need for a separate DC charging cable, all rapid charge points have the cable attached to them, they're fairly big and heavy.

Ordered Orange Rex, Park Assist, Driving Assist Plus, Winter package ZWT, Loft interior, 427 wheels on 23 Dec 2013, expected first week of June. Mid April we were told 2 weeks delay. Didn't suit asked for 18 July instead, asked if it would add delay if we added DC Rapid Charge Prep and downgraded to White. No, it wouldn't. Returned from US mid July, told delivery now 29 November. Threw toys out of pram, sent graph showing how much worse this was than other buyers (from this forum, among others) had been treated.

Got forecast back to week 39. Actual handover was yesterday, the last day of week 38 (19 September).

crossie said:
I'm in Ireland.

Ordered Late August, Delivery estimate is January 2015.

Dealer gave me a couple of wildly different dates as the "production date". Today I asked for a clear date. Guess what? They were just feeding me bullshit and my production week hasn't been assigned. :(

image001_anon.jpg

That makes no sense. Our order was assigned a production date as soon as they hit 'submit' on our order. Literally right in front of us, the same day we paid our deposit.

elptex said:
That makes no sense. Our order was assigned a production date as soon as they hit 'submit' on our order. Literally right in front of us, the same day we paid our deposit.

I placed a €2000 deposit on August 22nd for a REx with all the boxes ticked. I think they're just complacent because I can't buy an i3 anywhere else. They're the sole agent in Ireland and I can't purchase through a UK dealer because I'd lose the grant if the car isn't purchased through an approved dealer for the grant scheme (i.e. only them).

I'm spending €61,000 including the grants, so the least I expect is the f**king truth.

I think it really depends on the dealer - some allocate when BMW tell them, some allocate themselves a selection of unspecc'd i3's and assign them to orders as they get them. I suppose it depends on how confident a particular dealership is of selling X in a particular quarter.

ironsia said:
...asked if it would add delay if we added DC Rapid Charge Prep and downgraded to White. No, it wouldn't. Returned from US mid July, told delivery now 29 November.

Were you told the reason for the setback? Was it adding dc charge? Or just backlog?

Dee123 said:
ironsia said:
...asked if it would add delay if we added DC Rapid Charge Prep and downgraded to White. No, it wouldn't. Returned from US mid July, told delivery now 29 November.

Were you told the reason for the setback? Was it adding dc charge? Or just backlog?

Still waiting on the i3 with REX, we should have it in end August.... Got a message from the dealer that even they don't know exactly when it is comming.

@Dee123, we were told it was just production delays, but we wondered whether the dealer had lost a slot in the process of changing our order.

It's clear BMW were making a lot at that time to send to the N American market, where unlike the UK, the dealers put the orders in and act as principals in the sale, hence the unsold cars sitting on some dealer lots in the US. Here in the UK, they are just taking orders for BMW.

We're really glad we ordered DC rapid charge and downgraded to white, now.

Surely the explanation for crossie's problem and the reason why the dealer cannot give a production date is on the screenshot "status=no quota available" but of course that is no excuse for the dealer not being open and honest.

The issues people talk about here make me incredibly glad and highly recommend Reading Cooper BMW. They have been outstanding and I will absolutely do business with them again. Honest, transparent communication that was just the right frequency (eg. when something changed) and of course very professional and friendly.

If a dealership isn't meeting your expectations, then I recommend first asking what you can expect from them and then deciding if you accept those expectations. If not, find somewhere else--hopefully an option for most.

Complained to BMW and now my order status has moved to 1100.

I've just also changed my order to a BEV from a REX.

After getting a bit pissed off with BMW I got a Nissan Leaf last wednesday, and put 1500km on the clock in the last week, inc. a couple of long 250-300km inter-city trips.
Got a lot more comfortable with the charging infrastructure in the process. We now have 60 rapid chargers in Ireland all of which will be CCS by the time my i3 order is delivered.
And over 1000 public 7 - 22kW level 2 chargers as well!

Just to let everyone know that adding the DC charge option didn't have any real effect on delivery dates. Still expected first week December.

Well, yesterday was the 8 month anniversary of placing my order and I still hadn't seen an i3 in the wild so was within a whisker of mine being the first. Then an i3 appeared coming towards us in Stourton, W Mids, as I was with my brother in law driving to Bridgnorth for his (excellent) footplate/driving trip on The Severn Valley Railway.

Capparis, could have been a demo car as I wasn't quick enough to read the reg, anyone on the forum?

I collect mine this morning at last.

I've only seen one in the wild .. a black one coming down the last stretch of the i3 towards Southampton. Pulled into the slow lane to let my Mrs have a look as it passed. Thankfully she liked it as she'll most likely be the one driving it around (once she passes her test).

Back