Custom Trailer Hitch for Bike Rack-donating my car on Monday

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3darylw

This weekend at the Issaquah WA Electric Drive event (driveelectricweek.org) there was a company that designs custom hitches for electric cars displaying their hitches on several EV cars.

They were looking for a person to donate their i3 for a week so they could use it to customize a new model for the i3's. I agreed and will be dropping my car off this coming Monday.

I have no affiliation with the company - but based on the other versions they've created I'm looking forward to having a good hitch to use for a bike rack to hold at least 3 bikes. (for use of my car I get a free hitch)

Hopefully soon, we'll be able to see the BMW i3 listed along with their other models:
http://torkliftcentral.com/national-drive-electric/

-daryl

Finally! This is just the good news I was hoping to hear. I bike in Austin, TX, the city is absolutely covered in charging stations and it would be so nice to park, charge, and bike the last couple miles or so into work

Does anyone know what the tow rating is? I am finishing up a 100lb rowing boat on a light trailer that I was planning to tow with one of our smarts. Since we are replacing them with the i3, I was curious if it could be eventually used to tow and launch it. I figure an all up weight of under 250lbs.

I'll find out more when it's done, but in looking at the details for other cars (I picked the Nissan Leaf as a close approximate) it said 2000lbs

http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/2013-2015-Nissan-Leaf-2-Stealth-Trailer-Hitch-p1120.htm

BMW didn't intend the i3 to be a tow vehicle, so I doubt you'll ever get them to come up with a tow limit. Entirely at your own risk. Given the cooling and battery packs and motor in the rear area, not sure what they could attach a hitch to...it's not like a normal car. Then, trying to get trailer lights to work may be problematic with the data bus.

Back